Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2019, 21:44   #976
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car battery life - How long did your battery last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikhar10882 View Post
The unit is 55DIN. Any suggestions?
Check here:

FIAT LINEA TJET PETROL

I have purchased batteries from them and am satisfied with the experience.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 09:16   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Check here:

FIAT LINEA TJET PETROL

I have purchased batteries from them and am satisfied with the experience.
Thanks a lot @R2D2 for the
My local Amaron dealer is quoting similar prices. To avoid the hassles of Warranty claims, which I hope I will not be required to make, I am going to go ahead with the local dealer.

A few things that I seek additional insight into are:
- Why would the FASS recommend to put a 55 DIN in my TJet, while according to all the information available online, it takes a 50 DIN.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of going for a higher ah battery.
- Why would exide battery be so much at FASS?
- Which of the 2 are recommended?
Old 17th May 2019, 10:42   #978
Senior - BHPian

In my experience of having Exide batteries for the last 4 decades, they last much better than competing brands. I have tried Amaron a couple of times, but Exide lasts much longer, the average life in my cars is five years.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 11:05   #979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In my experience of having Exide batteries for the last 4 decades, they last much better than competing brands. I have tried Amaron a couple of times, but Exide lasts much longer, the average life in my cars is five years.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
The experiences that I gathered were mixed... with some preferring Amaron over Exide and vice-versa..
No clear winner there...
That is why the concern of 'premium' that Exide charges over Amaron.
Also, I would appreciate if someone can throw some light on if I should go by FASS recommendation of 55 DIN or stick to my previous 50 DIN.
Old 17th May 2019, 18:00   #980
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why would the FASS recommend to put a 55 DIN in my TJet, while according to all the information available online, it takes a 50 DIN.
The DIN55 has a 5 AH capacity advantage of the DIN 50 while being very slightly bigger. If your car came with the DIN 55 from the factory try to get the same part. If it is not available you can use a DIN 50 without any ill effects. I have used both in my Palio 1.6 GTX.

Quote:
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of going for a higher ah battery.
That 5 AH difference in capacity..10% is not much. So in practical terms, there would be no advantage or enhanced performance from the larger battery.

Quote:
Why would exide battery be so much at FASS?
Profit margins and yes, the DIN 55 is more expensive.

Quote:
Which of the 2 are recommended?
My recommendation: if you can get a DIN 55 buy it. If it isn't available, go ahead and get the DIN 50. Remember the DIN55 is slightly larger so it is important that it fits properly in the battery tray. The Palio comes with a DIN 50 part and the DIN 55 was larger than the tray with an overhang of about 1-2 cm.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 13:45   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
My recommendation: if you can get a DIN 55 buy it. If it isn't available, go ahead and get the DIN 50. Remember the DIN55 is slightly larger so it is important that it fits properly in the battery tray. The Palio comes with a DIN 50 part and the DIN 55 was larger than the tray with an overhang of about 1-2 cm.
My sincere most apologies for the delay in reply.

I had got my battery changed to Amaron Flo 55DIN on Friday, May 17, 2019 from my local dealer, who, after exchange of my earlier Amaron Flo 50DIN gave the new unit for approx 5k.

But even after changing the Battery, the check engine light did not go...
Called the FASS - Landmark Jeep, Motinagar Delhi (the people who have been handling my car since the closure of Kashyap, Noida).

The advisor advised to keep the car with ignition on, w/o cranking for 10 mins and then start the car... could not understand the logic, but tried.. and voila, it worked, the 'Check Engine' light disappeared. Power travels slowly and takes 10 mins to reach across the car???

Anyway.. now the deed is done!!!
Thanks alot for your support!!!
Old 19th May 2019, 14:09   #982
BHPian

The stock one in my Vento lasted 66K KMs / 5 Years before it gave up its ghost
Old 19th May 2019, 15:54   #983
BHPian

Quote:

The advisor advised to keep the car with ignition on, w/o cranking for 10 mins and then start the car... could not understand the logic, but tried.. and voila, it worked, the 'Check Engine' light disappeared. Power travels slowly and takes 10 mins to reach across the car???
The ECU(+BCM and other peripherals) have a self check routine similar to the POST check in computers. Low battery causes some sensors to return values that are way off from the normal range. As a result of these garbage values, the ECU thinks the sensor is faulty or there is some error in the circuit and a corresponding fault code is logged.

Some codes have to be cleared manually whereas some gets updated during the next self check routine when the sensor starts returning acceptable values.

Regarding the battery spec, any of DIN50,55,60 can be used. For using DIN55 and DIN60, there is a small removable plastic spacer in the battery tray which has to be taken off. As others have suggested, there wont be any significant change in the battery's performance or life.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 19th May 2019 at 15:55.
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 09:42   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
The ECU(+BCM and other peripherals) have a self check routine similar to the POST check in computers. Low battery causes some sensors to return values that are way off from the normal range. As a result of these garbage values, the ECU thinks the sensor is faulty or there is some error in the circuit and a corresponding fault code is logged.

Some codes have to be cleared manually whereas some gets updated during the next self check routine when the sensor starts returning acceptable values.
Understood.. that makes sense. So those ten mins were when then ECU checked all the systems again to get the current status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
Regarding the battery spec, any of DIN50,55,60 can be used. For using DIN55 and DIN60, there is a small removable plastic spacer in the battery tray which has to be taken off. As others have suggested, there wont be any significant change in the battery's performance or life.
In Linea, the DIN55 somehow seemed to fit in the tray without any need for removal of any insert... snug, but fit!!!
Old 25th June 2019, 16:24   #985
Lij
BHPian

The OEM battery on my Linea TJet lasted precisely 30 months after taking delivery of the car.
Last Sunday the battery completely died. Actually on Friday it gave signs like longer crank and CAR PROTECTION SYSTEM FAILURE FIAT CODE (amber) while driving.

Replaced the OEM Exide with DIN50 Amaron.
Cost me Rs. 4950 from local dealer, around Rs. 200 more than batterybhai offer but decided to stick to local dealer.

After replacing, initially there was an EOBD ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEM FAILURE amber light but it went off after driving for about a km.
Old 25th June 2019, 17:24   #986
BHPian

The OEM battery of my Tiago XZ - Diesel gave up in just 19 months of my ownership. All my services were done at TATA according to the schedule and usually my car runs in the daylight, so not much load of lights and fog lamps as well. Any other Tiago owner drained their battery that quick?
Old 26th June 2019, 14:48   #987
BHPian

Interested to know from people having some ideas about batteries if fitting a higher capacity battery in my sx4 diesel would caused any issues. The current one is 65AH and i have a unused 74AH battery lying with me from my merc which was bought in an haste. Its a exide battery that the company guys said was not recommended to be used in the three pointed star and hence its just lying in my boot.

Would there be any issues if used in my sx4? The current one in my sx4 seems to be getting weak and i just wanted to make use of the battery that i already purchased.
Old 26th June 2019, 15:05   #988
Distinguished - BHPian

The Exide 60Ah battery in my Vento gave up after barely 3 years last week. No warning signs at all: one night I park my car after work and she’s fine, the next morning she won’t crank.

Got a replacement Exide for 6500/- (MRP 7900/-) from the battery guy in my neighbourhood.
Old 27th June 2019, 11:41   #989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Interested to know from people having some ideas about batteries if fitting a higher capacity battery in my sx4 diesel would caused any issues. The current one is 65AH and i have a unused 74AH battery lying with me from my merc which was bought in an haste. Its a exide battery that the company guys said was not recommended to be used in the three pointed star and hence its just lying in my boot.

Would there be any issues if used in my sx4? The current one in my sx4 seems to be getting weak and i just wanted to make use of the battery that i already purchased.
As long as it fits physically there should be no issues. People have been putting higher capacity batteries for ages, mostly to take care of extra electrical load.

Al that a higher capacity will do is to take a bit longer to come to full charge. On the plus side the car will start much more easily in cold weather.
Old 27th June 2019, 13:12   #990
Senior - BHPian

The ist change battery on my Mahindra Scorpio M Hawk 4WD lasted 3 years and 6 months. Amron.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks