Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2007, 20:04   #46
BHPian

Hi,
My Wagon R's battery just died. It was an Exide OEM battery. It lasted 4 years 11 months and 8 days to the dot. That's a nice long and uneventful life.
I'm wondering whether to get the same one or switch to an Amaron. I've had good experiences with both on different cars.

Rgds,
Roshun
Old 25th April 2007, 22:00   #47
BHPian

Whichever you choose- Amaron and Exide both are the Best you can find-Plus OEM fittments on different cars..!

If you have a High Audio or Heavy Electrical Accessories, then you can opt for the Yellow Top from Amaron-But they are damn expensive compared to regular battery.
Old 25th April 2007, 22:09   #48
Senior - BHPian

Just remembered.
Ford Service guys have the OEM battery as replacement that thing costs a measly 1450 bucks!
No warranty though.
Old 25th April 2007, 22:11   #49
rks
BANNED

My Santro's OEM battery has a date stamp of Nov. 2000. It is still going strong. It seems to have plenty of charge capacity, as I can fill up substantial amt. of air with my air compressor in all my tyres using the car battery without running the engine, and the car starts easily afterwards. This is the test that I use to check the battery's status. The day the battery goes dead upon filling air, I will get a new one. I do not have any stereo system and I run the car to Mumbai and back every week. This probably keeps the battery well charged. I do not want to get the battery checked by some dealer, as they will almost certainly try to pressure me to get a new one.
Old 25th April 2007, 23:19   #50
Senior - BHPian

Used Exide Freedom in my old Santro - had to buy that since the car was second hand, and came with a really abused battery! Anyway, the Exide did its job - hassle free, no issues, till i sold it a year later.
My new Santro has an OEM Amaron battery. Car's going on two years, and no issues (touchwood). It's worthwhile to mention that the car was very rarely used for about 10 months when I was out of the country - got my dad to start it in the odd weekend. Never any issues... never died or went "down". I'm impressed.
Old 26th April 2007, 15:07   #51
BHPian

Here's an update. I jump started my Wagon R with my Scorp in the morning & went and bought myself and Amaron Maintenance Free - 4 year warranty battery. Cost me Rs 2,850/-. Was sad to see that faithful Exide Freedom go. But anyway, as they say, Ting Tong!
Thanks for the advice folks.

Rgds,
Old 4th June 2007, 10:38   #52
Team-BHP Support

So. Went to start the car this morning. All warning lights flash on as usual. But, it cranks slow and doesn't start. Pull out my jumper cables and start it off another car. But the battery is on its last legs now. So that means the OE battery in my Skoda Tdi lasted 3 years & 4 months. About right I guess.
Old 4th June 2007, 10:46   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
Hi,
My Wagon R's battery just died. It was an Exide OEM battery. It lasted 4 years 11 months and 8 days to the dot. That's a nice long and uneventful life.
I'm wondering whether to get the same one or switch to an Amaron. I've had good experiences with both on different cars.

Rgds,
Roshun
My brother is running his oem battery (exide) in his wagonr till date. He bought the vehicle in July 2002.
Old 4th June 2007, 11:07   #54
BHPian

Hi
I have ZEN LX MPFI and my OEM battery lasted for 4 yrs, never given any problem till the date it died suddenly:(. it was not maintenance free may be at that time there were not common in market but i have changed to maintenace free Exide and it is working fine for last 2 yeras.
Old 26th June 2007, 11:25   #55
Senior - BHPian

OEM batteries in my Swift gave me tough time this morning. Car refused to crank up & I checked the lights. All the lights working properly (including 100 W head lights) & I pressed the horn (upgraded one) to find out the sound generated is way way below its capacity. Started the car after pushing it & took it to the nearest battery shop.

Battery guy told me that it has to be put in for charge & replacement battery will be provided.

Car is 25 months old.

Does this recharging really help & is that dependable?
Is there any advantage with going higher capacity battery?
Old 26th June 2007, 14:23   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the difference between a normal battery and a maintenance free battery? How to identify whether I have a maintenance free battery or not?

I have a 2004 NHC that will complete 3 years in August and the OEM battery is working.
Old 26th June 2007, 14:45   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Car is 25 months old.

Does this recharging really help & is that dependable?
Is there any advantage with going higher capacity battery?
I my swift it is a amron. I dont know about yours as you did not mentioned it.and 25 months is a average life for a OEM battery. I think you need to replace the battery as it will not hold the charge for long.

this is advantage only if you have extra load in your car and you use that for longer than normal times with engine switched off.
Old 26th June 2007, 14:53   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
What's the difference between a normal battery and a maintenance free battery? How to identify whether I have a maintenance free battery or not?

I have a 2004 NHC that will complete 3 years in August and the OEM battery is working.
the regular battery need refill of distilled water regular intervals but in a maintenance free one there is less often need to top up the level.
Old 26th June 2007, 14:55   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
the regular battery need refill of distilled water regular intervals but in a maintenance free one there is less often need to top up the level.
OK. But how do I identify looking at the battery if it is of the type maintenance free or not?
Old 26th June 2007, 15:01   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
OK. But how do I identify looking at the battery if it is of the type maintenance free or not?
the regular one

maintenance free type

the regular will have holes to put distilled water and the maintenance free will be a closed one.

Most Viewed