Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2008, 17:33   #1
BHPian

ford ikon jack too small!?

so i just recently bought a used ikon 1.6 2k2 model from my friend. in 1 week i've had 3 of the 4 tyre positions punctured :(

the previous 2 times i happened to notice the puncture just in front of repair shops but this time i wasn't so lucky... was doing about 100 when suddenly i hear this sound like metal getting scraped and stopped immediately... front left wheel FLAT.

so anyway, i get out the step knee and jack. jack up the car completely and get the wheel out. then i tried putting in the step knee and would you believe the damn jack is fully up but i can't get the new wheel on because it's inflated unlike the flat one which was obviously easier to get off! luckily there was one of those little tempo trucks nearby and the driver loaned me his jack which did the trick.

i guess i'll have to buy a new jack :x

anyone experience this?
Old 21st April 2008, 17:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hmm maybe the owner switched it accidentally or someone else with another car's jack, still IMHO I think most of the cars jack should let you do this.

Dont get me wrong but are you sure you put the jack at the right place to lift the car?
Old 21st April 2008, 17:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nope. I do not have any experience till now. This is alarming. Have to check the same in my car now. But what I understand is, the car companies do not do like the one you have explained above. They will be more cautious on this.
Old 21st April 2008, 17:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

Where did you place the jack at? on the edges of running board or suspension parts? Was the car on level ground?

iKON jack is lil flimsy but damn easy to use.

I had problem with the wheel spanner which bent like a aluminum wire, when encountered with the dealer tightened wheel nut (air comp spanner thingie). I would recommend buying the regular + Shape universal wheel spanners.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st April 2008 at 17:42.
Old 21st April 2008, 17:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have had to use the jack only once (touchwood) and my car has covered 30k kms.It takes some getting used to but I didnt find any issues with the height .
Old 21st April 2008, 17:56   #6
BHPian

hmmm.... lets see. there's a chasis tube that runs along the length of the car just about 3-4 inches inside and i placed it so that the groove of the upper part of the jack held this chasis tube. would have been again another 5 inches behind the wheel.

actually come to think of it the other day the other front tire was a bit low but not fully flat. i gave it to the wheel shop and he put it in exactly the same place. he deflated the step knee and then put it on. then he inflated it and removed the jack so i'm guessing it's actually the jack that's a problem. not sure if it is the company provided one. who know's - maybe it isn't.

PS: the car was on level ground
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi Silver,

I'm not here to deliver lectures or find faults with anybody. Spelling mistakes or typo errors urge me in correction mode..

step knee is correctly pronounced and spelled as "stepney"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
so i just recently bought a used ikon 1.6 2k2 model from my friend. in 1 week i've had 3 of the 4 tyre positions punctured :(

so anyway, i get out the "step knee" and jack. jack up the car completely and get the wheel out. then i tried putting in the "step knee" and would you believe the damn jack is fully up but i can't get the new wheel on because it's inflated unlike the flat one which was obviously easier to get off! luckily there was one of those little tempo trucks nearby and the driver loaned me his jack which did the trick.

i guess i'll have to buy a new jack :x

anyone experience this?
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes, The Ford Ikon's jack is piece of junk.
So, I got myself a 2TON capacity hydraulic jack with a plastic case. Cost me around 2300 bucks.
Easy and FUN to use.
Old 22nd April 2008, 14:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Yes, The Ford Ikon's jack is piece of junk.
So, I got myself a 2TON capacity hydraulic jack with a plastic case. Cost me around 2300 bucks.
Easy and FUN to use.
nice! i guess i'll be jack shopping
Old 22nd April 2008, 14:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Hi Silver,

I'm not here to deliver lectures or find faults with anybody. Spelling mistakes or typo errors urge me in correction mode..

step knee is correctly pronounced and spelled as "stepney"
so it is! thanks for pointing out

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks