Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2008, 19:32   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Did you get the AC serviced ? If not get it done, should make things better. Also, get the gas topped up etc.

Also, you could get window film/front windscreen film installed.

There is a ton of info on Front windscreen and window films on the forum, try searching for it.
Got the Ac serviced last year, got tint as well as the front glass has suncontrol. but Delhi heat is terrible compared to bombay.
Old 4th May 2008, 15:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hi anand

A little off topic!

> The idling RPM for my NHC is 800. The RPM at 80 kmph in 5th gear is 2500

Are you sure about the RPM at 80kph in 5th? In my CVT it is just about 2000RPM at 80kph.

The petrol consumption will be more if you are running the engine at 2500RPM instead of idling at 800RPM when stationary.
Old 4th May 2008, 22:10   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi anand

A little off topic!

> The idling RPM for my NHC is 800. The RPM at 80 kmph in 5th gear is 2500

Are you sure about the RPM at 80kph in 5th? In my CVT it is just about 2000RPM at 80kph.

The petrol consumption will be more if you are running the engine at 2500RPM instead of idling at 800RPM when stationary.
Yes, I agree.

CVT seems to be more efficient in it's final gearing. In Gxi (manual), it needs 2500 RPM for 80kmph (in 5th).

And yes, you are correct, petrol consumption will be more at 2500 than 800, so in absolute terms, there will be more pollution. But what about combustion efficiency? I read somewhere that combustion efficiency will be highest in the range of 2500 rpm (this varies from engine to engine). If that's true, then should we have something like pollution per ml of petrol??? Just thinking...
Old 5th May 2008, 19:43   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer Sozay View Post
The Heat in delhi is unbearable, the AC in my zen just doenst cool any help guys?
pressure test check should be done, if no gas make sure to vaccum it, add oil, add gas and you are kewl. do change the dryer if never done.

but this all is simple as it sounds only if the pressure test holds for at least 10mins.
if not finding the leaks with soap water can be easy or a real pita.
Old 6th May 2008, 12:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> CVT seems to be more efficient in it's final gearing. In Gxi (manual), it needs
> 2500 RPM for 80kmph (in 5th).

So theoretically CVT should give more mileage, but it needs an extremely light foot to get the RPM correct. Surprise that the auto has higher gearing! The CVT comes with a seven speed manual select mode elsewhere. If that waould have been available here, it would have beaten the manual for mileage.

> somewhere that combustion efficiency will be highest in the range of 2500
> rpm

I don't know about combustion efficiency, but the mileage is most at the RPM where the maximum torque is developed and that is around 2500 RPM in the City.
Old 20th July 2008, 02:36   #36
BHPian

Weird Question On A/c Cost

Note from Mod - Post moved to a thread where the answers seem to already have been mentioned.

Guys! I have been doing a lot of tours and I get reimboursed a decent amount on hotel stays. I do my travels to Delhi (250 kms) in my Ikon 1.6 instead of Volvo (for which I am given the fare by the company) because of the fun factor in self driving and non dependence on autowalas in the metro. Now, I also get paid Rs. 11500 per night for stay in hotels. I found that generally when I stay in hotels I only spend about 2-3 hours at the hotel and I can freshen up at my relatives place (which is in reality my own apartment rented to them!).

Suddenly this question came to me that since I can fully avoid my hotel stays and save 11500 per night and if a couple of hours or even three or four hours I have to spend in my car in the hot afternoons of Delhi (I would love to coz of the ICE playing soothing music and jet black tints for my sleep or relaxation in private) and if I keep my car ON for a/c blowing at full speed, how much would it cost me per hour. Lets say for a Ford Ikon 1.6 giving me a mileage of 10 combined, and in good engine shape. or how many litres of petrol is burnt per hour with car on and a/c full-on working?

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th July 2008 at 04:33. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 20th July 2008, 12:29   #37
Team-BHP Support

Gaurav.
The first thing that comes to my mind is that it will be a lot lesser than 11,500.
Since you drive long distances you will be keeping a clear tab on your milage.
So after your drive and CarStay (my word) simply calculate the reduction in FE.
Then its simple maths to calculate your CarStay charges.
Old 20th July 2008, 13:36   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Gaurav.
The first thing that comes to my mind is that it will be a lot lesser than 11,500.
Since you drive long distances you will be keeping a clear tab on your milage.
So after your drive and CarStay (my word) simply calculate the reduction in FE.
Then its simple maths to calculate your CarStay charges.
Thanks! But then my CarStay (your word ) varies from trip to trip. A clear consumption figure is what I wish to know. Lets say: For smaller engine cars, three box cars, luxury sedans and diesel cars. If an expert can tell xx Litres / hour kinds for these......
Old 22nd July 2008, 19:14   #39
BHPian

NO replies guys? Some experts needed to attend this thread!
Old 23rd July 2008, 00:13   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
Note from Mod - Post moved to a thread where the answers seem to already have been mentioned.

Guys! I have been doing a lot of tours and I get reimboursed a decent amount on hotel stays. I do my travels to Delhi (250 kms) in my Ikon 1.6 instead of Volvo (for which I am given the fare by the company) because of the fun factor in self driving and non dependence on autowalas in the metro. Now, I also get paid Rs. 11500 per night for stay in hotels. I found that generally when I stay in hotels I only spend about 2-3 hours at the hotel and I can freshen up at my relatives place (which is in reality my own apartment rented to them!).

Suddenly this question came to me that since I can fully avoid my hotel stays and save 11500 per night and if a couple of hours or even three or four hours I have to spend in my car in the hot afternoons of Delhi (I would love to coz of the ICE playing soothing music and jet black tints for my sleep or relaxation in private) and if I keep my car ON for a/c blowing at full speed, how much would it cost me per hour. Lets say for a Ford Ikon 1.6 giving me a mileage of 10 combined, and in good engine shape. or how many litres of petrol is burnt per hour with car on and a/c full-on working?

Gaurav,

Don't spend hours in a stationary car that is running. You could end up DEAD from carbon monoxide poisoning.

This is no joke, it happens all the time.

As an alternative, why don't you go to one of the nice malls in the NCR and catch a movie in a nice air conditioned hall?

Regards,
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:32   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
.... If an expert can tell xx Litres / hour kinds for these......
Have you not read this thread?? The figures you are looking for seem to be mentioned quite clearly earlier.

cya
R
Old 23rd July 2008, 12:48   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo
A clear consumption figure is what I wish to know. Lets say: For smaller engine cars, three box cars, luxury sedans and diesel cars. If an expert can tell xx Litres / hour kinds for these......
This not only varies from segment-to-segment, but also within cars in each segment itself. When you are talking Rs.11500 kind of figures in hotel-rent savings, I would think it not worthwhile to even bother calculating the exact figure, if just money is the factor. But if you wish to find the exact figure, tank up just before you plan to spend time in the car for whatever hours and then tank up again to see the fuel consumed.

As a thumbrule, it is like 100ml consumed for 10mins of idling. So, if you are spending 3 hours in your car, it would be approx 2 litres - 100bucks. Not much in money terms, but then neither good for you (as mentioned by RedMM340) nor for the car or the environment. As someone suggested, better get into one of the a/c malls or movie theatres.
Old 4th February 2009, 15:03   #43
BHPian

During idling time, the AC effect is not at its peak. I feel the AC is chilling when running at higher gears/speed. So in place like chennai/delhi I wonder if switching on AC with car parked would help.

I don't know if this is happening only for my car (esteem).

my engine switches off when I switch on my AC & I could hear weird sounds in the car. any idea what could be the solution, the AC effect was coming down during yesterdays long drive from Chennai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks