Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2005, 23:41   #31
Team-BHP Support

OPtra's ground clearance is 173mm (stock). As I've changed my wheel size to 205/50, I think it's still the same. It used to touch and it still does if I'm not careful
Old 11th February 2005, 12:46   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
Are you an automobile engineer doing some research for a PHD??
Nope, I dont have any car and just trying to find one for me :-)
Old 12th February 2005, 19:05   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

corolla has the perfect ground clearence,i agree it doesnt look good that high but the indian roads have speed breakers and potholes so big that ground clearence is the first thing that brings peace to mind,indica and palio also have nice ground clearance
Old 26th July 2005, 14:15   #34

My accent with four people inside, recently hit a speadbreaker even when it was being driven at a very less speed resulting into a breakage of exhaust muffler.
Wish to get spacers inserted in the rear suspensions. What would be the expected cost?
How advisable is it to have spacers in the front too, in case that is possible.
Old 26th July 2005, 15:39   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Ok,

For example, it is possible that a car with a GC150mm will not touch a speedbreaker that another car with GC170mm touches!
Thats spot on, Rehaan.

Just to repeat....A high GC number on a sales brochure does not mean the car will be better at clearing obstacles / humps etc.

My only advice...go slow over obstacles. This will prevent a scrape and even if it scapres, damage will be lower at lesser speeds.
Old 2nd August 2005, 17:56   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasygreat
My accent with four people inside, recently hit a speadbreaker even when it was being driven at a very less speed resulting into a breakage of exhaust muffler..
Hey Prasygreat,

The accent does get ridiculously low at the back, but that is when there are 3 or more people at the back.
Are you sure your muffler wasn't loose and hanging low to begin with?
Another thought is, what year is your accent, because somewhere around 2003? they changed to gas filled shocks if i am not mistaken, wonder if that helps address this problem.

I'd stay away from the spacers, i dont see it being worth even considering unless you regularly carry 4+ well built people.

cya
R
Old 2nd August 2005, 18:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Hey Prasygreat,

I'd stay away from the spacers, i dont see it being worth even considering unless you regularly carry 4+ well built people.

cya
R
Rehaan, are you saying so since handling might get affected. Or is there another reason you hinting towards.

Revv
Old 6th August 2005, 04:34   #38
BHPian

speedbreaker manners

hey i drive a zen!! and i have rarely scraped it!!
i totally agree with skamb!!!was explaining the same point to a friend who drives an opel corsa swing and scrapes it on every possible breaker!!
another imporatnt point i feel is the way you tackle a speedbreaker:-
MOST PEOPLE ARE BREAKING WHILE GOING OVER IT!!! DONT EVER DO THAT AS BREAKING CAUSES THE CAR TO BENLOWER AND HENCE THERE IS LESERROOM FOR THE SHOCKS AND SUSPENSSSIONS !!!

the trick is to slow down before it and then let go of the brakes before the front wheels start to climb the breaker!!
Old 6th August 2005, 07:35   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasygreat
My accent with four people inside, recently hit a speadbreaker even when it was being driven at a very less speed resulting into a breakage of exhaust muffler.
Wish to get spacers inserted in the rear suspensions. What would be the expected cost?
How advisable is it to have spacers in the front too, in case that is possible.
If you're on extended warranty, try and convince your dealer to change the rear shocks to the gas-filled variety somehow. You need to know them really well, though.
Old 1st July 2007, 21:07   #40
BHPian

How is the ground clearance calculated?

Hi All,

Is the GC calculated from ground till the axle, or ground till the lowest protruding part of the vehicle?
Old 1st July 2007, 21:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Not entirely sure.. however I did read some article a years back something to this effect. Lowest protruding part sounds right too.

Then there is decent angle and accent angle which is mostly for SUVs and 4x4 vehicles.. which shows at what angle can it take a slope without hitting the front end.
Old 1st July 2007, 23:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

Ground Clearance has several parts. I will define one for you:

Running Clearance - distance from ground to lowest point on sprung-mass at curb weight and smallest tire.

Axle Clearance
Ramp Breakover angle
Approach Angle
Departure Angle
Old 2nd July 2007, 00:30   #43
Team-BHP Support

GC for car's is defined as the distance from ground to lowes point in the car. This may be the axle or exhaust or suspension arm.
Old 2nd July 2007, 11:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

Ground Clearance is always calculated on a stationary vehicle. It is the measurement from the lowest-hanging point under the vehicle, which is generally a differential or the exhaust system, to the ground.
Ground clearance can also be measured, say for instance for an SUV to help during offroading, at other key points such as under the frame.

This pic will make it clear.

Last edited by V-16 : 2nd July 2007 at 11:40. Reason: change
Old 7th July 2007, 05:44   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
If you're on extended warranty, try and convince your dealer to change the rear shocks to the gas-filled variety somehow. You need to know them really well, though.
I know that Gas shocks are filled with Nitrogen which is a inert gas. When compression happens Nitrogen gas enters the chamber thereby blocking the atmosphere air bubbles resulting in better shocks. Still heat remains a factor but not as much in the Oil based shocks. This gives a superior ride irrespective of the time ridden or bad roads when compared to Oil Based Shocks.

So what Gas shocks has to do with GC ???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks