Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2008, 15:22   #1
BHPian

95 Premier Padmini S1: Problem with Ride height & front suspension

Dear Team-bhp members,

Its my '95 premier padmini S1 yet again with some trouble. This time with its front suspension. Got the front suspension overhauled a couple of months back. Replacement included wornout bushes, front wheel bearings & trouble maker coil spring.
The coil spring was replaced as the springs had done their due for over 12 yrs & 59K kms. As I went for parts shopping I picked up a coil spring too. Told the shopkeeper that needed a coil spring for an 95 model S1. My mechanic too nodded his head and gave his approval. Finally, when fitted walla, my car got turned into an SUV with the front high enough to climb in. My mechanics version it will level out in time.
For the final test took it to a friend also a team-bhp member, wont take his name as his work takes 48 hrs out of a day. Wont burden him much. His take was as expected it changed the entire front suspension geometry, and replace it soon.
Went back to the shop keeper asked him about the spring, he had given me the springs for Premier Padmini Diesel !!! as per him Petrol S1 & diesel have the same springs.
Got regular fiat springs now the ride height increased, & suspension bouncy, going over 60 km/hr meant galloping. Changed springs again.
The dictat told by friend, ' If it is not original they will simply not work '.
Told my mechanic to get a second hand original springs, hes got them but the ride height is seriously compromised and the car stands just as it was pre overhaul.
Wondering what do I do, as the springs were made inhouse by PAL and the company has closed down & demolished. Last week drove through the site, nothing but a couple of sheds and a power house left.

Would need advice and a source for a couple of Original Coil springs if possible.
Old 28th April 2008, 20:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

137D's engine would be heavier and hence the spring in it will be different to take up the extra load.
Old 28th April 2008, 21:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

New springs need a few weeks to properly set in place. It looks odd. It rides bouncy. Depending on your wheel alignment, it could be handling crazily as well.

On top of it, the rear leaf's being carried over. So giving that drop back look.

Would advice contacting BEHRAM.DHABHAR, it will transform you.
Old 29th April 2008, 10:21   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
New springs need a few weeks to properly set in place. It looks odd. It rides bouncy. Depending on your wheel alignment, it could be handling crazily as well.

On top of it, the rear leaf's being carried over. So giving that drop back look.

@jkdas- I know that & made me wonder the audacity of the vendor to give me the spring for a petrol fiat & say its same.

@1100D- I have taken your advice before you told me. Which other friend has work occupying him for 48 hrs a day.
Furthermore, does the high spring settle in a couple of weeks ?
Old 29th April 2008, 11:29   #5
BHPian

Quote:

@jkdas- You can imagine the audacity of the vendor to give me diesel springs for a petrol vehicle & then same both are same.

@1100D- I have taken your advice of contacting Behram, before you telling me.
Which other friend you think im telling has his work keeping him busy for 48 hrs a day ?
No offence meant.
Old 29th April 2008, 22:31   #6
BHPian

The most wornout spiders (original suspension kit in all fiats) is a lac times better than a new duplicate. Unfortunatly you learnt it the hard way.

Never replace original parts unless it is inviable

Hence I always consult our common 'friend'(infact even pester his at times) before even touching the cars mechanical parts. Keep this in mind and you'll never ever have any trouble with troubleshooting your car.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 30th April 2008, 16:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
The most wornout spiders (original suspension kit in all fiats) is a lac times better than a new duplicate. Unfortunatly you learnt it the hard way.

Never replace original parts unless it is inviable

Hence I always consult our common 'friend'(infact even pester his at times) before even touching the cars mechanical parts. Keep this in mind and you'll never ever have any trouble with troubleshooting your car.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
But where do i get the original coil springs from ?
Old 30th April 2008, 16:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Kavesh - you wont get original/new coil spring unless they are NOS with a fiat spare parts dealer.

i did my car's suspension overhaul in Dec '06 and the coils were not changed.

i hope your mechanic used the correct suspension bushes - VIR.

can you upload a side profile pic of your car?

Last edited by planet_rocker : 30th April 2008 at 16:53.
Old 30th April 2008, 17:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Kavesh - you wont get original/new coil spring unless they are NOS with a fiat spare parts dealer.

i did my car's suspension overhaul in Dec '06 and the coils were not changed.

i hope your mechanic used the correct suspension bushes - VIR.

can you upload a side profile pic of your car?
Yes I've used original VIR bushes.

will upload images shortly.
Old 30th April 2008, 22:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Furthermore, does the high spring settle in a couple of weeks ?
Depends on how high it is. Did you get the rear leaf springs replaced as well. Otherwise, it actually pays to disassemble the leafs and assemble again, brings back some tension in them, again depends on the condition they are in now.

Drive around for a couple of weeks, to settle the front suspension.
Old 2nd May 2008, 10:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Depends on how high it is. Did you get the rear leaf springs replaced as well. Otherwise, it actually pays to disassemble the leafs and assemble again, brings back some tension in them, again depends on the condition they are in now.

Drive around for a couple of weeks, to settle the front suspension.
used for a month nearly no effect what so ever.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks