Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2014, 23:49   #91
BHPian

Re: Ac compressor gone bust?

@sibot: compressed air followed by hosing should help. Any service station can do that.
Old 19th June 2014, 02:28   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
@sibot: compressed air followed by hosing should help. Any service station can do that.
I'm sorry, I meant the AC cooling coil. The one that is under the dashboard in most cars and needs to be cleaned with a non corrosive agent.

I will surely get the condensor cleaned during the next car wash.
Old 15th September 2014, 21:01   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibot View Post
I got a Sanden compressor, but I forgot to check the model number and click a picture. It looks identical to the one that was installed in my car.

The compressor has been installed now. Barring a few glitches with the compressor bought from Mayapuri, which required replacing the bearing on using the old compressor to the recently purchased one, the compressor shows no issues.

The AC cools really well even in the afternoon heat. I need to turn it a notch down every now and then as it gets too cold inside the car. The RD bottle and expansion valve were not replaced and the old ones were used. Thus the total expenditure has come to Rs.4,500/- (Rs.2,000/- for the compressor + Rs.2,500 for the installation) in comparison to the Rs.17,xxx/- I was originally quoted.

How is the report on the AC? Have you encountered any problems? Can you share the name of the place where you got the compressor from?
Old 19th September 2014, 12:42   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
How is the report on the AC? Have you encountered any problems? Can you share the name of the place where you got the compressor from?
It's working pretty well. There have been no issues with the compressor. There was some gas leak once, but that was due to an accident. The cooling is pretty good and I need to regularly keep switching off the compressor since it gets too chilly.

A friend also got his OHC Compressor changed from the same mechanic and he is pretty happy with the performance too.

I am not sure of the name of the place in Mayapuri from where the compressor had been procured. I got it done with the help of our trusty mechanic for the past 25 years. I'll share his contact details if anyone needs it.
Old 20th September 2014, 23:36   #95
BHPian

Quote:

I am not sure of the name of the place in Mayapuri from where the compressor had been procured. I got it done with the help of our trusty mechanic for the past 25 years. I'll share his contact details if anyone needs it.
Please share his details. My car needs an ac job.

Thanks in advance.
Old 20th September 2014, 23:50   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I got it done with the help of our trusty mechanic for the past 25 years. I'll share his contact details if anyone needs it.
If the mechanic comes highly recommended, an entry in the Team-Bhp Directory will help Team-bhpians a lot.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 17:18   #97
BHPian

Ok i will revive this thread.

I own a Tata Indica V2
Old 13th September 2015, 17:55   #98
BHPian

Ok i will revive this thread.

I own a Tata Indica V2 DLS 2008. 7 years old and 70000 kms done. The AC stopped working gradually before it completely went bust. I have consulted various mechanics all of whom pointed that the AC compressor, expansion valve and the receiver need to be changed. I did not even consider reconditioned units that they suggested as i want a hassle free ownership experience. I decided to go for a new unit. I went to the authorized distributor for Subros and purchased the three items. The prices i was charged are:
1. Subros compressor Rs 8800 (MRP Rs 11812)
2. Receiver Rs 650 (MRP 840)
3. Expansion valve Rs 850 (I received this in a cover without any price or branding on it)

However, my AC mechanic said the prices would be something like:
1. Subros compressor Rs 11 -12k
2. Receiver Rs 900
3. Expansion valve Rs 2800 approx

I took the parts to my AC mechanic and at first sight said the expansion valve is not Subros original and asked me to get the original one. He asked me the price i was charged for it - When i said Rs 850 he said it's third quality and that second quality comes at Rs 1500 and original Subros comes at Rs 2800. Then i grew suspicious that it might not be original as i did not even receive it in a box like the other two and there was no price or branding on it. I called up TASC and asked for the price of the expansion valve. They quoted Rs 950. I became confused now. I went back to the distributor and he claimed it was 100% original and asked me to go to the regional office of Subros to check for authenticity. He seemed overtly assuring that it was original. That made me suspicious again. So, to get another perspective i consulted two other AC mechanics who also estimated that the price for the expansion valve is around Rs 2800. I can post pictures of the products. Today being Sunday i called up regional heads at Subros asking for the price of the expansion valve and they replied they do not have the price list and cannot tell over phone as there are nearly 5000 Subros products.

Except for the Subros sticker on the compressor which can be easily peeled off there's no more proof to tell it's Subros, i mean embossing or permanent, non removable stuff.

The receiver too came in a Subros box that was much larger than the size of the receiver. And as i said before the receiver also has no branding saying Subros, not even a sticker.

Likewise no box saying Subros or sticker or branding on the expansion valve saying it's Subros. However, there are two different serial numbers on the expansion valve. When i asked for the box he said, they come in lots of 50 so they do not have a box for each.

Please help

I am in a fix now. How do i resolve the current situation that i am in?
Attached Thumbnails
Ac compressor gone bust?-img_20150913_174003.jpg  

Ac compressor gone bust?-img_20150913_174016.jpg  

Ac compressor gone bust?-img_20150913_174250.jpg  

Ac compressor gone bust?-img_20150913_174458.jpg  

Last edited by bharatbits : 13th September 2015 at 17:59.
Old 13th September 2015, 18:05   #99
BHPian

Almost all the mechanics quoted me Rs 3500 for their charges of fitting in the new parts, gas refilling, flushing out the system, cleaning the condenser, labor etc. Since, everyone quoted the same i think that's the market price. All quoted me Rs 17000 - Rs 18000 for the new unit if they were to procure the parts themselves.

It cost me Rs 10300 for the parts and another Rs 3500 for the labor charge which i might get it done tomorrow after i confirm the authenticity of the parts.
Old 26th November 2015, 21:56   #100
BHPian

My Etios VD crossed hassle free 1,00,000 kms a couple of days ago. Service is due now and I was pondering over taking the appointment for the same. Drove it from work yesterday with the ac on (as always) and parked the car. Started the car this morning, and realized there's no cooling with the ac on. The A/C switch light comes on, the blower's throwing air, but no cooling.
Had it checked at the service centre. I did not want to leave the car there today so everything was done in a jiffy. The technician checked the high pressure and low pressure side and said that there was no gas on the low pressure side. This was due to a leakage and gas needed to be filled and leakage checked. I asked him to just fill the gas and do rest of the work during servicing. Gas filled- compressor still not working. What could be the issue?
Old 29th November 2015, 07:40   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuvir View Post
Drove it from work yesterday with the ac on (as always) and parked the car. Started the car this morning, and realized there's no cooling with the ac on. The A/C switch light comes on, the blower's throwing air, but no cooling.
I'd recommend you visit the A/C service center be it Behr or Subros etc. Toyota or any other service centers i believe are not well equipped to do the job well nor do they have skilled people for the same. I have personally seen most cars coming to TASC are sent to authorized Behr or Subros service centres unless it's a minor problem.

I'll also suggest you don't use the AC until you get the issue fixed else your compressor might go bust. The same happened with me. Going by the symptoms you said i think i faced the same problem too.
bharatbits is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 04:08   #102

My 2004 corolla has an a/c problem-compressor starts only when driving(rpm>2000). I showed it to a couple of a/c mexhanics- compressor is almost gone!

Corolla's compressor is 20k plus condenser is 3k.

Reading fellow bhpians post on buying used compressors-i saw olx ad for 6k near krishna nagar but the guy says no guarantee! Which makes me think that probably he is selling a defective/weak compressor.

Can someone recommend a shop to buy used compressor. A/c parts are very expensive and I guess Delhi's heat is harsh on the compressor and pollution/dust on the condensor coil so if we guys have a reliable used parts shop we can go there and save the efforts of shopping for prices!

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th April 2016, 22:52   #103
BHPian

Phone No - Mayapuri?

Quote:
Just to let you know that my friend has a Zen 2005 model whose compressor also needs a change. I asked for the Zen compressor from Mayapuri and the Subros compressor is available for Rs.1,500/-. So you could explore that option too. The shop that I purchased from had a few compressors at hand for the Zen.
Thanks sibot

Bumping up an old post here. How did the Subros compressor fare in the Zen?

Have you by any wayward chance retained the phone # of the shop you picked up the compressor from? Am planning to visit Mayapuri myself sometime and a heads up would be welcome.

Cheers!

Last edited by Ironhide : 17th April 2016 at 22:53. Reason: Syntax !
Old 18th April 2016, 00:45   #104
BHPian

Re: Phone No - Mayapuri?

How often do you guys get your AC condenser cleaned? I'm thinking of getting it done this year. Any particular solution they use to clean it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Thanks sibot

Bumping up an old post here. How did the Subros compressor fare in the Zen?

Have you by any wayward chance retained the phone # of the shop you picked up the compressor from? Am planning to visit Mayapuri myself sometime and a heads up would be welcome.

Cheers!
If you'd like, I can give you the number of the mechanic who helped me procure the compressor for my Honda City 2003 from Mayapuri. He's been our mechanic since the last 26 years or so. The AC has been working perfectly since.

My friend did not end up purchasing the compressor so I cannot say much about the Zen.

Last edited by sibot : 18th April 2016 at 00:53.
sibot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 04:05   #105

Dear fellow bhp-ians, Since I did not get any replies on this, I decided to go to mayapuri myself.Went there twice, found out a lot of information that you guys may find useful!

There is a masjid(mosque) near d-block , there were 2 guys near that place- very reasonable rates! Got a compressor for 5,000Rs.

Some guys inside the lane in gas factory(gas factory is another famous place) were giving compressor for 8,000 straight from engine which was a good deal as well, the only thing was i was on a tight budget. The one from the engine most likely will not be rebuilt!

Also while buying a compressor carefully look at 8-9 bolts on outer frame for any marks- they will tell you whether compressor is opened or no. Your phone camera can magnify and see the image of the nuts/bolts better.

Enquiring from at least 8 a/c shops in Delhi , i got to know that Sanden 507/508 is the best alternative for your car in case the compressor is too expensive(toyotas, skodas, vw, maybe hondas). Please note that the sanden compressor has an iron piston which is quite tough and if your condensor is upto 25% blackish from inside and you dont want to replace it you can easily go for sanden as it will work with the condensor. All you need is mounting bracket, pipe changes (3000-4000 max expense) to get sanden customised for your car.

Also toyota has denso compressor which cannot be repaired- subros(noida factory) and sanden can be repaired easily.

So all in all either a used compressor of same brand if the guy is giving gurantee for a month or sanden 507/508 if you want peace of mind. Sanden 507 will set you back by 13,000Rs. This was confirmed by 5 a/c shops. It has a fixed procedure for cars with bracket and pipe change so unless the a/c shop wants to rip you because you drive an expensive car, the cost is under 15,000/-.

Hope this helps!
kannyrocks is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks