Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2008, 19:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Is the car still under warranty?? If not, then option 2 seems best. Repair is ok, but I doubt it'll last you till 2010.
Old 4th August 2008, 09:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ishaan, But ain't getting the repairing done from Delphi workshop will help in longevity, as i assume they'll do a quality job and provide a term warranty too for the overhaul job done.

PS: How's your chicken pox doing, i hope it is now settling down !!
Old 4th August 2008, 09:56   #33
Team-BHP Support

It depends upon the job. If your compressor just needs a bearing change, then it will last you many more years, but if its a major job, expect a 1-1.5 year longevity.
Repair from Delphi/Subros etc., costs almost as much as a new compressor from open market. So check out your options before committing to the final one
Old 4th August 2008, 20:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
hrag, I already have done the overhaul. So don't want to go through it again. Morover the brand new compressor is for 7800 through local dealers.
TASC quote 20,000 for compressor replacement.
Tata also take back the damaged compressor and install a reconditioned one for say about 4000/-. Look at the bright side it comes with a limited waranty too.
Old 4th August 2008, 21:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Thanks Ishaan, But ain't getting the repairing done from Delphi workshop will help in longevity, as i assume they'll do a quality job and provide a term warranty too for the overhaul job done.
Point is, what are they going to charge for the overhaul?? If you can get a new compressor by paying 20-35% over what they're charging, I would say get a new compressor. If however, the additional expense for a new compressor is over 40% of the overhaul cost, go for the overhaul.

After all, even after an overhaul, an old compressor is an old compressor. If the bearing failed & has been replaced now, what is the guarantee that a year down the line the clutch won't fail & need another overhaul/replacement?

A new compressor on the other hand, will give you more peace of mind & reduced chances of failure.

Quote:
Much better now, might be able to get out of the house by this weekend.
Old 15th June 2009, 20:30   #36
BHPian

My Ac ran out of gas 2 weeks ago, I showed it to MASS, it seems the oil seal in the compressor has broken and requires replacement. Charge come to 200 rupees plus overhaul charges of 2k, MASS does not play around if there is a problem with the compressor, they get it done from a third party service.

I don understand why the compressor requires overhaul now, the issue is clean and should be settled with 200/- rupees. Something fishy here.
Old 15th June 2009, 22:55   #37
BANNED

Quote:

AN a/c compressor is no rocket science . Infact if you insist on quality parts like SKF bearings .. you can get your a/c serviced with better parts and definitely at a cheaper price .

Another point is a compressor has 3 bearings . @ are inside the compressor and 1 bearing is a sealed bearing which is inside the magnetic clutch side . The clutch bearing generally fails and the best way to find the bearing failure is noise . This is because the bearing is exposed to dust ,heat , water etc and if the seals on the bearings fail then the bearing will get fried . The maximum cost of a bearing is generally in the region of 250- 500 depending on the car . The clutch coil will cost another 100 -400 in the worst scenario . I dont see any reason why a new compressor needs to be changed .. especially if one has to shell out in excess of 10,000 rupees . A simple over haul at times can make the compressor last for atleast 50,000 -1,00,000 KMS .

Last edited by greatmana2000 : 15th June 2009 at 23:02.
greatmana2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2009, 15:00   #38
BHPian

Experts, I plan to change the AC compressor on my esteem car, the subros is available for 12k as a MGP part. Sad thing is Maruti won't give warranty on the new compressor, which kind of su*ks. What if the compressor fails within a month?

If I could buy the part directly from subros, would I be eligible for 6-12 months warranty?
Old 16th July 2009, 17:00   #39
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Experts, I plan to change the AC compressor on my esteem car, the subros is available for 12k as a MGP part. Sad thing is Maruti won't give warranty on the new compressor. If I could buy the part directly from subros, would I be eligible for 6-12 months warranty?
Its surprising that MUL or the M.A.S.S dealer won't give you a warranty on a new compressor. If it is indeed a MGP, it should come with a warranty, especially if its a component like an a/c compressor.
Old 16th July 2009, 17:24   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Its surprising that MUL or the M.A.S.S dealer won't give you a warranty on a new compressor. If it is indeed a MGP, it should come with a warranty, especially if its a component like an a/c compressor.
It is very true, I am not getting this done from MASS, Hours ago I got in touch with Subros dealer in Bangalore (info from subros site) & he recommended me an authorized service center. It is named "We Kool" and located on the Brigade Road.

Subros centre is charging me 9500/- plus 12.5% VAT. At the same time MGP part cost 12k plus taxes, this is day light robbery.

I spoke to service center, if the complete work of compressor change, condensor/evaporator check & gas filling is done by them, they would give limited warranty. Generally MASS does not check the compressor, they give it to authorized guys. But the condensor, evaporator, gas filling is done by MASS.

For the benefit of people:

Subros Limited : Car AC Awareness

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 16th July 2009 at 17:27. Reason: k
Old 16th July 2009, 17:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post

FYI, NONE of the parts that are changed in your car come with any warranty. Any replacement of faulty parts is only done for goodwill.
Old 17th July 2009, 09:50   #42
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
FYI, NONE of the parts that are changed in your car come with any warranty. Any replacement of faulty parts is only done for goodwill.
Thanks for this bit of info.
Old 17th July 2009, 09:53   #43
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Subros centre is charging me 9500/- plus 12.5% VAT. At the same time MGP part cost 12k plus taxes, this is day light robbery.
If Subros has recommended this dealer to you, then I suppose it makes sense to get the compressor changed by them, especially if you are going to save Rs. 2,500 or more. M.A.S.S is notorious for overcharging on such components.
Old 18th July 2009, 21:01   #44
BHPian

I got my car from " we cool" today, I got the compressor replaced, the whole AC system was checked which includes the cooling coil, evaporator, condensor & usual flushing/leak checks.

The mechanic showed me the temp of 5.3c at which the esteem ac did cut off. It is too early to comment on their quality, Would be driving down to Chennai sometime this month to experience the actual effect of this installation.

breakup
Compressor - 9500/- ( no tax was added, i did not request for bill since there is no warranty)
Gas - 950
Labour - 550

Total - 1100 (i saved a cool 3.5k by avoiding MASS)
Old 18th July 2009, 21:24   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I got my car from " we cool" today, I got the compressor replaced, the whole AC system was checked which includes the cooling coil, evaporator, condensor & usual flushing/leak checks.

The mechanic showed me the temp of 5.3c at which the esteem ac did cut off. It is too early to comment on their quality, Would be driving down to Chennai sometime this month to experience the actual effect of this installation.

breakup
Compressor - 9500/- ( no tax was added, i did not request for bill since there is no warranty)
Gas - 950
Labour - 550

Total - 1100 (i saved a cool 3.5k by avoiding MASS)
on a lighter note...how did you arrive at the total ? lol

Most Viewed