Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2008, 14:23   #1

Loose Caliper problem in Hyundai i10

Hi Guys

I puchased a Hyundai i10 in Feb. '08. For the first 1 month it drove very well.

Since the last month after the its first service, it has developed a wierd thud and rooling sound in the front wheels whenever it encounters bad roads. It took it to Safdarjung Hyundai in Gurgaon, the service agent told me that its because of loose caliper pins in the front right wheel. He took the car for a day and told me in the evening that the repair has been done. When I drove the car after that everything seems fine. After around 3-4 days the sound came back, I again went to the service station and found that the agent has resigned. Another agent looked into my complaint and told me the same thing, he also took the car for a day and in the evening told me that the problem is with the caliper pins. He then told me that he has got the repair done again but if the sound continues he would replace the caliper assembly. Again the car drove well in the intitial 3-4 days, after that the sound is back.

I still have to go back to the showroom for the repairs/ replacement.

I do not understand how can such a problem develop a new car keeping in view that this kind of a problem if found only after much wear and tear in the car.

Since this is my first car, I am not sure how to inform Hyundai about this issue.

Any suggestions?
Old 29th April 2008, 15:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Can't diagnose the actual problem like this but since your car is new I suggest you visit Hyundai Motor Plaza on Mathura road near Haldiram's.

They are a Company Owned-Company Operated dealership & they would be able to solve this problem better than the other dealers. Also, when you go carry the Job cards of the last two times when this repair was carried out at Safdarjung Hyundai.
Old 30th April 2008, 02:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Get it checked asap. Its a new car.

I don't understand, if its just the caliper then, whats the use of keeping the car for the whole day. This could have been solved in 15 minutes.
Old 30th April 2008, 10:58   #4

Mail it your problem to hyundai with proper details.
cr@hmil.net

Amit
Old 30th April 2008, 12:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

dont worry man. this problem occurs when there is play in the pins and lack of greasing. this happens with me too. ask the service station person to replace the pins in front of you. also there is one rubber cover which covers the grease when put inside. the grease shouldnt leak from it. get those replaced too. this noise comes mainly on cement roads and bad roads.
Old 30th April 2008, 13:59   #6

Thanks Guys

Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

Amit, this sound goes whenever I put my foot on the brake padel slightly.

I will visit the service station again on this saturday and will do as you guys have suggested.

Will update the thread accordingly.
Old 30th April 2008, 14:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmachine View Post
Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

Amit, this sound goes whenever I put my foot on the brake padel slightly.

I will visit the service station again on this saturday and will do as you guys have suggested.

Will update the thread accordingly.
that is obvious,when u press the brake pedal the calipers actuate over the pins and grip the pins. so no noise will come. dont worry its a very minor issue. i have faced this many times. just remember. ask him to open the brake calipers in front of you. fill in lots of grease and put the rubber cover over it so that it doesnt drip out again easily.
Old 13th May 2008, 13:03   #8

Finally Safdarjung Hyundai has informed me that Caliper pins are not available as a spare part and they will replace the full Caliper assembly on both the front wheels. Now I m not sure if I just give the car away to them to replace the caliper assembly or be present there when they do the job, m not sure if they would allow me to be present in the service bay....
Old 8th June 2008, 00:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure wheather they will allow you in service bay.
Hope that this solves your problem.

However, was the braking performance affected ?
Old 8th June 2008, 10:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Dont worry, get the assembly changed, you can watch from a distance from the waitng room window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I am not sure wheather they will allow you in service bay.
Hope that this solves your problem.

However, was the braking performance affected ?
Old 8th June 2008, 20:48   #11
Team-BHP Support

Why would they waste your time and their time and their service bay to do nothing ?
Old 9th June 2008, 11:54   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmachine View Post
Now I m not sure if I just give the car away to them to replace the caliper assembly or be present there when they do the job, m not sure if they would allow me to be present in the service bay....
They sure took their time coming around, eh? You reported this problem about 1.5 months back!

Insurance regulations prohibit you from being present in the service area. You needn't worry. Just drop the car off.
Old 14th July 2008, 20:23   #13
BHPian

Hey I also had a similar issue and informed the service guys in the time of service, they said Hyundai has already addressed the issue and its because of the caliper pin and they did replace it..but still while going through bumpy roads i feel a thud in the steering wheel. I think i should go back again!!!!
Old 17th November 2009, 22:34   #14
BHPian

same problem here. why dont the hyundai guys take some action against it. i read in another thread that its there in the i20's also. i'm sure people at hyundai must be aware due lots of warranty repairs coming in for the same problem.

Most Viewed