Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2010, 16:34   #151
BHPian

I was using EXIDE battery in my Pulsar self-start, the next day when the warranty got over, battery died. I was so surprised to stumble upon this thread to hear many similar stories. And EXIDE provides only 15 months warranty while amaron provides 60 months. So i got an Amaron now for my pulsar.

Last edited by AbdulRahmanM : 17th February 2010 at 16:35. Reason: Spelling
Old 18th February 2010, 16:20   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Dude, this has been discussed so many times on tbhp. In short, the best brands are - Amaron, Base Terminal/Panasonic, BOSCH.
had gone through the threads, thanks though
Old 20th February 2010, 16:39   #153
BHPian

Thought I should post this for the benefit of other members. Before I could get a battery, my father got it replaced. The previous one was an Exide O.E. and the new one is Standard Furukawa Sonic Jumbo JMB700 with 18 months free replacement warranty. The battery is rated 65 Ah battery and the cost was Rs.3500. I believe the O.E. battery was 60 Ah - not sure - if someone could corroborate??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Battery in my Indigo (Diesel) conked-off today. Had got it checked recently and the mechanic told that one cell was weak, but the car was cranking in the first go, so thought will run for sometime. The battery is a factory fitted Exide and was going to complete 4 years in early March this year. The car has clocked 62k kms.

Please advise a replacement - am thinking of Amaron or Tata Green. Please someone suggest the real-life prices. The base Tata Green as per website is for Rs.4000-odd (50k kms maintenance free). I feel this is a bit on the higher side - please advise if this indeed is the price range for good batteries in Delhi and what will be the net cost after exchange.
Old 20th February 2010, 17:16   #154
Senior - BHPian

I recently got my Indica Xeta Exide 45Ah OE (lasted nearly 15-16 months) to an Amron 70Ah. Paid Rs. 2850/- along with the old battery.
Old 20th February 2010, 18:43   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
I recently got my Indica Xeta Exide 45Ah OE (lasted nearly 15-16 months) to an Amron 70Ah. Paid Rs. 2850/- along with the old battery.
I have two doubts. Is it realistic/practical to replace 45AH with 70AH?
Secondly if an Amron 70AH costs only that much how much it will cost if I have to replace my 55AH battery of Quadrajet? (The OEM Exide warranty was only for 6 moths and now it is over one year)
Old 20th February 2010, 22:20   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
I was quoted around Rs. 8000 by Amaron for the same battery, maybe it was 74 Ah for my cousins Swift iDiesel

Are the prices of Amaron quite less down south?
Old 21st February 2010, 10:34   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Secondly if an Amron 70AH costs only that much how much it will cost if I have to replace my 55AH battery of Quadrajet? (The OEM Exide warranty was only for 6 moths and now it is over one year)
replacing 45Ah with 70 Ah would actually give extended "non-start" time for my ICE, along with a higher power to start my car (CNG). Only thing is that the charging time would be more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
I was quoted around Rs. 8000 by Amaron for the same battery, maybe it was 74 Ah for my cousins Swift iDiesel

Are the prices of Amaron quite less down south?
Amron has verious lines to choose from : Pro/Blah Blah.. BTW, I'm based up north.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:19   #158
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
I recently upgraded my Jeep's battery to a 90 AH capacity. I believe the ampere rating indicates how much energy / charge the battery can hold (max) at any given point in time. As Phamilyman posted, the only disadvantage is that it will take longer to completely charge the battery.

Simple explanation : A 90 AH rating indicates that the battery will be able to supply 90 amps of power for an hour, or 45 amps for two hours, or 30 amps for 3 hours.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:52   #159
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 27th February 2010 at 19:43.
Old 1st March 2010, 12:07   #160
BHPian

The Exide on my SwifDy gave up yesterday, the car is 2 1/2 years old and the battery 2 years.

For the past week, I have been having long self-start durations in the evening times. When I tried to crank the car yesterday, the SVS light and other warning lights threw up. The exide servicemen checked and promptly said the battery is dying a slow-death.

They checked the cells and said the cells are weak (12.x rating was shown). I was also asked to crank, when they measured the amp's at the terminals. It threw about 8.8 when its supposed to be greater than 10. When I asked why wouldnt the alternator be culprit, they said it couldnt be.

This is my replacement battery after the OEM gave-up under 6 months. I dont have any replacement warranty on this except for the pro-rata.

Questions:
1) How do I ensure this is not an alternator problem? (During the 40K service, I did ask for alternator to be checked and the service reports AOK. I am on 44K kms only)
2) If I do have to replace, Can I look at Amaron batteries?
I suppose the OEM on SwifDys are DIN65 batteries - And I heard Amaron doesnt have one at DIN65.
3) Exide Matrix DIN65 costs about 6700Rs after 10% discount and battery buy-back, whereas Exide SF Sonic costs about 6200Rs. Both carry a 30month replacement warranty and 30 month pro-rata.

Help Phlease.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 1st March 2010 at 12:10.
Old 1st March 2010, 13:45   #161
BHPian

I was able to rule out the Alternator as an issue - at crank the battery showed 8.8 and after cranking it showed a healthy 14+.

Since I dont want to invest anything less than DIN65 (Amaron/Bosch etc), I am poised to buy Exide Matrix.
Old 6th March 2010, 08:18   #162
BHPian

My OEM Exide lasted for 4.5 yrs

Hello All,

I am writing in to share my Exide OEM battery story. While I didn't like the way the battery died on me on one fine morning but it happened after 4 1/2 years. Now I know I can't complain about the duration but my Accent CRDi refused to crank. The starter motor didn't even turn. Darn !!

This happened in Chennai during my business trip

Amaron helpline wasn't very useful. Called them but they needed an hour or so for replacement. Walked around my parents place in chennai to find a Amaron dealer. Deal settled in 10 mins.

Catch here is for the Diesel battery you do not get 60 month option but get only the 48 month option.

Amaron dealer didn't believe I could get 4.5 yrs of life on Exide OEM battery.

Let us see if the Amaron battery delivers on the hopes and promises.

Cheers

Sateesh
Old 6th March 2010, 16:49   #163
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Catch here is for the Diesel battery you do not get 60 month option but get only the 48 month option.
That's the general trend. Primary reason = Diesel car batteries suffer more vibration (for obvious reason) and hence, higher wear and tear.
Old 6th March 2010, 18:01   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Primary reason = Diesel car batteries suffer more vibration (for obvious reason) and hence, higher wear and tear.
Hey GTO

Dealer says the main reason for this being the trend is the incorrect usage by the owners and poor maintenance.

Apparently they had Indica owners kill their battery due to poor maintenance. High wattage lamps, poor alternator (TVS make). The dealer indicated that the NipponDenso Alternator in my car was one of the key reasons for the longevity of the battery as I too run 100/90 headlamps with AC always

I am not too sure if this the case but I can't complain as I have an ND alternator

Thanks

Sateesh
Old 20th March 2010, 21:26   #165
Senior - BHPian

Ok I'm done with Exide now. My pulsar has seen 2 batteries in 2.5 years. I gave it for charging last week and it died today. I took it to the shop and he said that the battery is gone.
He suggested Amaron and quoted 1700 for it.
My Lancer also has a Amaron battery (INR 3500 with 300 INR for my old Exide).

Lets see how the new brand works out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks