Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2009, 14:50   #76
Senior - BHPian

5 year warranty? That sounds cool. Whats the cost and rating?
Old 24th January 2009, 17:17   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
5 year warranty? That sounds cool. Whats the cost and rating?
If I am not mistaken, he's purchased an Exide Matrix a sealed MF CA/CA battery. This is the same tech as Tata Green but TGs are not sealed.

A MA35 L/R that fits most Marutis costs about about Rs 4600 after the rebate for old battery. I think a Corsa takes a DIN55 which is more expensive.

The dealer advised me against it as it is sealed and if the water runs down during its time in use then it will fail. A big prob if you do long distance journeys sometimes on deserted roads like I do with my family. He said it is best to use a battery with filler caps in a hot country like India. Of course, Exide Matrix comes with a 30m replacement and 30m pro rata warranty. I wanted to fit one of these in my old car but went in for the Exide ATB instead to replace the Exide OEM that was nearing 3 years of age.

Rgds,

Last edited by R2D2 : 24th January 2009 at 17:20.
Old 24th January 2009, 19:44   #78
Senior - BHPian

Hmm... I'd always look at dealer's advice with suspicion. Anybody knows if these maintainence free batts do really run outta water in hot environments?

I'd think if they did run out, as a rule, then Exide would see truckloads batts being returned in the 30 month warranty!
Old 24th January 2009, 20:00   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm... I'd always look at dealer's advice with suspicion. Anybody knows if these maintainence free batts do really run outta water in hot environments?
Well, dealer's are not above suspicion but he's the Exide dealer that I have been visiting for almost 20 years and I do have some faith in his advice.

Yes, sealed MF batteries (flooded, not gel or AGM) can run out of water in hot environments especially if they are over charged by the alternator.

I tend to play it safe. A dead battery is not an experience I want to go thru again. The 1st (and hopefully last) that I was directly involved in was in Pune Camp at a traffic signal. The engine stalled and when I turned the key, it refused to crank. A traffic snarl of epic proportion resulted. Dad's experienced it twice already, the most recent being a couple of weeks back, fortunately the car was in the garage.

Cheers!
Old 30th January 2009, 10:34   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2
The dealer advised me against it as it is sealed and if the water runs down during its time in use then it will fail. A big prob if you do long distance journeys sometimes on deserted roads like I do with my family. He said it is best to use a battery with filler caps in a hot country like India.
The problem would happen in places with very hot climate where the temps usually climb above 40 Celsius and not for places where the highest temp is about 32 Celsius max.
Old 30th January 2009, 21:10   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
The problem would happen in places with very hot climate where the temps usually climb above 40 Celsius and not for places where the highest temp is about 32 Celsius max.
Pune has temps that breach the 39-40 Celcius mark at the height of summer at the end of April and early May. Not sure how you conclude it does not go over 32 C.

Rgds,
Old 31st January 2009, 16:08   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Pune has temps that breach the 39-40 Celcius mark at the height of summer at the end of April and early May. Not sure how you conclude it does not go over 32 C.

Rgds,
I've not said about the temp at Pune! But there are places in India, where even the max temp will not cross the 32 Celsius mark.l
Old 31st January 2009, 18:10   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I've not said about the temp at Pune! But there are places in India, where even the max temp will not cross the 32 Celsius mark.l
Surely you will agree that from April to June most of the country experiences high to intense temperatures. Some places in the north touch 45-48 Celcius! High temps plus the tendency of users not to check and maintain their charging systems may make it risky to own a fully sealed battery.

Cheers!
Old 3rd March 2009, 21:06   #84
rippergeo

I felt something was not right with the car yesterday, and I couldnt work peacefully all day, so took it to MASS during my lunch break to get it checked.
I didnt have any specific complaints, just a bad feeling.
They drove the car around and said everything was fine, and left me looking very silly.
I got in, turned the key......krrrrrrr krrrrrr
Exide strikes again.

My 3rd bad experience with exide.
Previously in the accent CRDi at 2yrs
M800 1.5yrs
Now Swift VDi, 15 months, this after driving with low beam to save the battery,switching off the fog lights and not using the ICE when the car is switched off.

Replaced with amaron as in my prev cars. 5yr warranty. peace of mind.
Pricey though! 8200Rs
Only silver lining- the car stalled inside the service station, How lucky is that?

Old 3rd March 2009, 22:47   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I got in, turned the key......krrrrrrr krrrrrr
Exide strikes again.

My 3rd bad experience with exide.
Previously in the accent CRDi at 2yrs
M800 1.5yrs
Now Swift VDi, 15 months, this after driving with low beam to save the battery,switching off the fog lights and not using the ICE when the car is switched off.

Replaced with amaron as in my prev cars. 5yr warranty. peace of mind.
Pricey though! 8200Rs
Only silver lining- the car stalled inside the service station, How lucky is that?
Wow talk about bad luck. Was this the OEM Exide Freedom? Never had bad experiences with Exide for decades. But I am keeping a close eye on my car's OEM Exide batt which turns 5 months old now. Just 7 months of warranty to go.

Rgds,
Old 4th March 2009, 14:51   #86
Senior - BHPian

What kinda batt costs Rs. 8,200 ???

After going thru the posts in this thread, it seems quite clear that getting a good Exide batt is like taking a big chance. Maybe not all their batteries not that bad... but many/most are. Whereas other brands, esp. Amaron, seem to have much lesser failure rate and much higher customer satisfaction. Those in favour of Exide seem to somehow had the luck to get better units.

But overall, your luck is stretched MUCH more when you decide to go in for an Exide!
Old 1st April 2009, 18:56   #87
BANNED

Quote:

I'd think if they did run out, as a rule, then Exide would see truckloads batts being returned in the 30 month warranty!

Manintenance free batt are in reality not maintenance free. Most of the consumers are not advised properly . All lead acid batt have to be maintained . They can be called low maintenance rather than maintenace free .
Old 1st April 2009, 19:03   #88
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
If I am not mistaken, he's purchased an Exide Matrix a sealed MF CA/CA battery. This is the same tech as Tata Green but TGs are not sealed.

A MA35 L/R that fits most Marutis costs about about Rs 4600 after the rebate for old battery. I think a Corsa takes a DIN55 which is more expensive.

The dealer advised me against it as it is sealed and if the water runs down during its time in use then it will fail. A big prob if you do long distance journeys sometimes on deserted roads like I do with my family. He said it is best to use a battery with filler caps in a hot country like India. Of course, Exide Matrix comes with a 30m replacement and 30m pro rata warranty. I wanted to fit one of these in my old car but went in for the Exide ATB instead to replace the Exide OEM that was nearing 3 years of age.

Rgds,

Well a battery for a maruti can be bought as low as 2600 rs . WHy do you have to buy a battery at 4600 and in reality you end up paying 2000 for the pro rata exchange .. LOL . call it marketing gimmicks .

In a flooded lead acid battery it is not sealed . you can still tp up the electrolyte and keep using it .
Most of the people tend not to maintain the battery because they think MF ( maintenance free ) batteries do not require maintenance . Also , ambient temperature is not so important for a battery as a battery will heat up during charging and plus the engine compartment will definitely be much hotter than the ambient temperature . Batteries are designed to withstand the temperature ,but the electrolyte will dry up . That is the difference
Old 1st April 2009, 20:05   #89
BHPian

Recently i got a new Getz CRDi.
When i took the delivery, everything was fine, Went to my tyre shop,fitted alloys,new tyres and proceeded to accesory shop.Everything was ok till there.Got the accesory work done, came home,no issues.
Next morning the car wouldnt start. I guessed it was a discharged battery or so, called the dealer who told me to jump start it and get the car to the showroom so they could check. (the showroom is 25 Kms from my place)
I was like, why do you think i have tons of charged batteries to start the car with it and put the original battery so it can charge ?
All this for a brand new car which was not even registered !!!
I told him, I am not going to do anything, you come, replace the battery with a new one.
Then i get a call from Exide saying, take the battery to nearest dealer and if he has stock he will replace hand to hand. Again same question pops in my mind, why should I ?

With a bit of hard talking, the dealer collected the faulty battery and delivered a brand new battery the next day.
This has happened to me for the first time, Faulty battery on a brand new car !
Old 1st April 2009, 22:14   #90
rippergeo

The batteries that come as OEM from exide are letting down quite a few of us. i dont think Exide is really bothered. The contracts they have to supply the car companies will keep them going. Good news is, maruti now installs Amaron instead of Exide as OEM for the swift D. Exide is going to have to pull its socks up soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks