Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2008, 22:06   #46
BHPian

Hey sorry for the late reply... it does seem to be corrected a little bit... but the problem is not gone... let me drive another 150-200Kms i will then confirm if its gone... I did notice the car goes to the left slowly and steadily...
let me drive for few more days and confirm it....
Old 21st May 2008, 23:08   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Hey sorry for the late reply... it does seem to be corrected a little bit... but the problem is not gone... let me drive another 150-200Kms i will then confirm if its gone... I did notice the car goes to the left slowly and steadily...
let me drive for few more days and confirm it....
That might be due to the banking of the road. Keep us updated though.
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:30   #48
BHPian

Eddy have u ever encountered such issue with your swift... did check if it steers to any one side even though the alignment is done..?
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:38   #49
Team-BHP Support

Yep. Did a temporary solution of rotating the tyre which has solved it.
Old 22nd May 2008, 11:33   #50
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys please be sure its NOT the banking effect OR the torque steer you are getting. These are evident in almost any car.

To check for pull, road has to be flat (not banked for turns or for rain water run off) and the surface on both sides similar, and then the car should track straight.
Old 24th May 2008, 15:17   #51
BHPian

Where to find such a flat road Jaggu... Arent the Cement Roads flat when they are straight for a stretch of 2-4 Kms....
Old 24th May 2008, 15:27   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hey guys please be sure its NOT the banking effect OR the torque steer you are getting. These are evident in almost any car.

To check for pull, road has to be flat (not banked for turns or for rain water run off) and the surface on both sides similar, and then the car should track straight.
Banking effect, I can understand. But what is torque steer ?

Also, if the situation improved after swapping tyres (in my case), then it can't be any of the two right ?
Old 24th May 2008, 17:51   #53
BHPian

Hi Tush,

I have the same problem with my 2008 Swift VXI. The car is shod with 15" alloys on 195/60 tyres.

So I got my wheel alignment done at Madhus Tyre center (Computerised alignment near Richmond road flyover).

The wheel balancing on my car has been done earlier at Sai Iyengar, so did not go to do it again.

After the alignment the left steer reduced to an extent but it was still there. So I took the car back again to Madhu's, and this time they rotated the tyre front/back.

After this I havent been able to check the alignment properly though, thanks to Bangalore traffic. You need to hit speeds of atleast 70-80 to check the alignment correctly.

I will try to check soon and let you know.

PS: I know of another 4 colleagues who own swifts at work with the same problem as mine. They are all running stock tyres. None of them experince irregular tyre wear though.
Attached Thumbnails
Car steers / veers towards the left-dsc00061.jpg  

Car steers / veers towards the left-dsc00060.jpg  

Last edited by bharatbs : 24th May 2008 at 17:55.
Old 24th May 2008, 23:01   #54
Team-BHP Support

Good ol wiki: Torque steering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Try swapping the RT tyre to LT by remounting the tyres (if uni directional), if its pulling too much.
Old 27th May 2008, 01:52   #55
BHPian

Hey Bharatbs,

Thnx for putting up the snaps... the alignment that i got it done from had a somewhat similar system...

Guys this Sunday i did a driving to Pune-Lonaval-Pune(totaled 160Kms) and before that i got the tyre pressure checked... The wheel alignment dude had kept the tyre pressure a little more by atleast 4 points in the left front tyre i guess that was another reason the problem had reduced a little bit.... but before my trip to Lonavala i got it corrected to 36 as recommended by maruti in both front tyres... and c what... the issue is back with the same intensity of pulling on the left... the MY CAR maruti dealer ship had put a stall in my company... i told them about this problem... the sales group manager took a test drive of my car and he said yes the problems there but very mild and would be corrected by wheel balancing.... yeah n also whenever the car steers towards the left the steering also steers by a little more then fraction to the left....

another thing i am noticing since a couple of days is that my front bonnet has developed inconsistent surface uneven surface instead of a plain chik surface at the very front... like a very small up n down surface which can be seen from certain angel but no scratch on it...and another one to the right front door...how could this have, have happend...is the metal used is of very low gaze(whatever its called) or low quality...

Last edited by tush : 27th May 2008 at 02:00.
Old 31st May 2008, 12:21   #56
Team-BHP Support

Replies inline in bold

Quote:
Hey Bharatbs,

Thnx for putting up the snaps... the alignment that i got it done from had a somewhat similar system...

Guys this Sunday i did a driving to Pune-Lonaval-Pune(totaled 160Kms) and before that i got the tyre pressure checked... The wheel alignment dude had kept the tyre pressure a little more by atleast 4 points in the left front tyre i guess that was another reason the problem had reduced a little bit.... but before my trip to Lonavala i got it corrected to 36 as recommended by maruti in both front tyres... and c what... the issue is back with the same intensity of pulling on the left... the MY CAR maruti dealer ship had put a stall in my company... i told them about this problem... the sales group manager took a test drive of my car and he said yes the problems there but very mild and would be corrected by wheel balancing.... yeah n also whenever the car steers towards the left the steering also steers by a little more then fraction to the left....

Tyres!! swap rotate tyres and your pull should be off for good.

another thing i am noticing since a couple of days is that my front bonnet has developed inconsistent surface uneven surface instead of a plain chik surface at the very front... like a very small up n down surface which can be seen from certain angel but no scratch on it...and another one to the right front door...how could this have, have happend...is the metal used is of very low gaze(whatever its called) or low quality...

Can be cricket fans with tennis ***** or the likes, i have some thanks to some local kids near office playing cricket in front of my car @ office :(
Old 31st May 2008, 19:23   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Bharatbs,

the MY CAR maruti dealer ship had put a stall in my company... i told them about this problem... the sales group manager took a test drive of my car and he said yes the problems there but very mild and would be corrected by wheel balancing.... yeah n also whenever the car steers towards the left the steering also steers by a little more then fraction to the left....
Ha ha,maruti sure needs to employe better people for problem solving.Wheel balancing solving pulling problems..sheesh..!!
Old 10th June 2008, 15:24   #58
BHPian

Just read the entire thread...and yes I am also the victim of the "swift-steering-to-left" virus, after numerous complains the issue is still there, I also got a tyre changed for irregular wear and tear, and I don't remember that whether this tyre was from the left side (now I will be looking for the same when I next go for tyre rotation).

Old 10th June 2008, 16:53   #59
BANNED

Guys,

This is a very familier problem with all Maruti's.

The monocoque shell that maruti's make is so damn susceptible to regular twists that over a period of time the shell doesnt remain factory fresh. This though is not a problem with other manufacturers apart from Hyundai.

My M-800 is facing the similar problem. Even though i've checked every damn thing from my suspension to my aprons and my balancing rods and also my calipers, knuckles. You name the parts i've gone ahead and changed them. Still the problem persists.

After lot of thinking and doing my rounds of R&D and discussing it with my Mechanical Engineering friend he says " Because the Strength of Material used is not of a great quality, if you have had a minor accident or would have had a headlong collision for your car, there seems to be a bit of chasiss twist.

The front portion at one point would have gone in by a negligible mm's.

Though its not a major scare, but your pulling towards left or right phenomenon continues.

Dont know how to get this rectified.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 10th June 2008 at 16:55.
Old 10th June 2008, 20:26   #60
BHPian

Had given the car to the maruti service station again. This time they did "Cross Member" adjustment. I dont know what it means but the workstation manager said its the platform on which the steering assembly resides and some bla bla bla which i dont remeber. I insisted him to show me what it is. He did show me for a petrol swift which was being serviced when i reached there. He said it was adjusted by somewhere between 0.5mm to 1mm as specified by maruti as they started getting these complains for swift.

We took a drive but was not sure if its rectified as the road near the workstation is all uneven. I dont know how they checked my car as the road outside their workshop as all is tar and no cement. Hope they might have taken to other roads as well for test drive.

Lets see now after driving on different roads i will finally come to know if its resolved.

Most Viewed