Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2008, 10:46   #1

Is car a/c gas low?

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post, it good be a part of this forum.

I had a query, regarding my car Honda City ZX VTEC A/C gas status. I got my car in Nov 2006. So far my car is going great and it gets serviced regularly. Recently when I was out in the noon when the temp was round 41 C, I felt the cooling is not as it used to be. And I was wondering if its time to top up the a/c with gas.

To determine if I need to top up, I opened the hood of the car and switched on the a/c. On the side there is a small tipe with a device that has a glass/transparent thing on it. We can usually see whats flowing thru that. And I could see stuff like gas going thru it and some bubbles type thing being generated. It felt as if some activity was taking place.

I wanna know how often should I top up my a/c with gas. And how can I determine if the gas is low. Do you think I should do it now or there is no need.

Advice from you guys will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cheers,
JG
Old 11th May 2008, 15:05   #2
BHPian

if your ac is low on gas you will find that your Ac cools in mornings and late evenings after 5pmish kinda.
it wont cool during the day and you might feel a very low kind of cooling only at the vents.

also you will note that your engine is not having much load when you switch on Ac (most cars under 2.0ltr will feel a genuine difference when AC is switched ON)

you will have to do a pressure test to know what is present pressure first to know that its low on freon.
if its low there is 2 fixes
1) if no visible leak can be seen at pressure hose, compressor, condensor - you can use your fingers around the pressure hose to check for oilyness as this is the part prone to damage. if not then easy fix is to just top up gas (hope your compressor is not noisy if it is then it has quite a leak and may be starved of oil) then just topping gas wont solve the problem as the compressor can seize - no oil. CAUTION :- top up freon in low pressure return ONLY
2) go to ac tech person and check the system for leak / pressure test replace VACCUM the whole system and refil gas.
Old 11th May 2008, 16:30   #3
BHPian

I have learnt from this forum that if you see a white fog like activity through the glass, then the refrigerant charge is low and you need to top-up. If the charge is optimal, the glass should be transparent (no activity) when the engine rpm is raised just a little above idling.

Also, your condenser coils must be choked due to dust as it has been almost 2 years since you bought your car. How many kms has it run? I suggest you get the AC serviced, which means cleaning the condenser, changing the compressor oil and refilling the refrigerant. I had a similar problem in my 2006 Zen VXi and servicing the AC solved it completely. As a rule this needs to be done every 15,000 kms for the AC to cool optimally.
newcoolgadgets is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2008, 19:01   #4
BHPian

What you are referring to is the collector/dryer which is located on the high pressure (discharge) side of the compressor, after the condenser. If I remember right, bubbles in the little round window means gas is a bit low, but not so low as to cause the low pressure safety switch to cut off. You could check the metal part of the pipe on the low pressure side, the one which leads from the evaporator (inside the dashboard) to the compressor. If it feels chill and some atmospheric water condenses on it, you dont need to recharge gas. If it is not , then a recharge is definitely needed.
Old 11th May 2008, 22:47   #5
Team-BHP Support

Maybe you can do a top up, that should sort out the issue. Ask them to check for any obvious leaks while at that.
Old 12th May 2008, 13:28   #6

thx

Thanks a lot for your replies guys...

I mean my a/c is working fine, I dont sense any major issue. But just felt as if the gas might be a bit low when I was out in the noon.

When I mentioned about the white fog like activity through the glass, at that time my engine was at idle. So is it okay or at idle also that shouldnt happen.

My car has run around 13000+ km so far. So I am in a fix, should I either just top up gas or leave it as it is.

Do honda service station check a/c as well??
Old 13th May 2008, 09:47   #7
BHPian

If the cooling (or the lack of it) is bothering you, get it checked and serviced/refilled. If you are OK with it, don't bother till the cooling drops low enough to bother you on moderately hot days too.

But remember, if the refrigerant level drops too low, it may cause harm to your compressor.
Old 14th May 2008, 13:20   #8

Thanks a lot for your replies guys. If I feel cooling is dropping too low I will get it checked. So far I don't think there is any major issue.
Old 7th April 2009, 01:29   #9
BANNED

Ac Gas leak checkup

Hey,how do you check for Ac Gas leak? please tell me
Old 7th April 2009, 02:12   #10
BHPian

The usual way to check is to find weather there is a loss in the gas pressure by connecting the required gauges to the compressor, if there is a loss the technician will apply soap water on specific points of the A/C line which are common to leak gas,if the soap solution bubbles,we have found our leak,that is the normal way , don't know weather there are any other methods.
Old 7th April 2009, 03:04   #11
BHPian

Honda service centre will service the ac for sure.
Old 7th April 2009, 04:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackgreat View Post
I mean my a/c is working fine, I dont sense any major issue. But just felt as if the gas might be a bit low when I was out in the noon.
A Delhi noon would be a challenge for any car a/c. Pardon me for asking a silly question but do you have sun film? Anytime I am in a car without sun film, I feel something is wrong with the a/c.
Old 7th April 2009, 08:57   #13
BANNED

I simply feel the 30% sunfilm is not enough for Delhi Summer.but these days the rules are very strict.You need have black sunfilm to escape the Summer here.what are your views??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks