Team-BHP - Fiat Petra - BRAKE - is it weak?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Fiat Petra - BRAKE - is it weak? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/39511-fiat-petra-brake-weak.html)

Hi All,

Today I faced a strange problem in my Fiat Petra 1.6 Petrol.
In one particular place I had to put hard Brake and I felt the car is just going-on and not stoping. It was something like how ABS works. I mean, there was no Pedal-Vibration like ABS (Grrrrr...)... Ofcourse Vehicle was slowing down, but not in proportion to my pressure on the brake I was putting. .... ABS people can understand this feeling very well...it was something like you Brake (Brake with ABS) hard when it is raining... Vehcle keeps going (with feedback to ur pedal like Grrrrrr ... but vehicel doesn't skid.... (ABS at work)....

I guess you guys understand what I am trying to say.... I never had this type of experience in my Sierra or Safari. (though both of these verhicle are non ABS). Is something wrong in my Petras Brake? (I don't think Petra has ABS sysytem)

Also.... currently My Fiat Petra's Odo is in 48,000 KM. I am not sure if I have to go for major service at 50000 KMs or 60000 km (I do not have Petra Manual). Can you guys please let me know, when the due is?.
Also please let me know the services I need to do at this point.
Regards
Rai

All Fiats have this spongy brake upto some extent.
Even my adventure doesn't respond so sharply while braking.
To be sure about it, just visit any service center. And do make your point, otherwise they may give you this answer that all fiats are like this, without evaluating the brakes.

Yup Fiat usually have spongy brakes ! I was on a highway last week and i was driving my Petra D at around 80-90 km suddenly a lorry bugger came from nowhere and took a sudden turn. I had applied brakes but i still managed to go ramm into the Lorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karanraheja (Post 826755)
Yup Fiat usually have spongy brakes ! I was on a highway last week and i was driving my Petra D at around 80-90 km suddenly a lorry bugger came from nowhere and took a sudden turn. I had applied brakes but i still managed to go ramm into the Lorry.

I suggest you to change your tyres for either Yoko S drive or for Yoko s306. The braking should improve comparing the stock tyres. My braking has improved after changing tyres to S306 which has a better grip even in wet conditions too.

Get your master cylinder checked ASAP.
Also get your front pads checked. They could have become hard and shiny. If so, get them replaced.

Since you have already used your car for about 40K I don't see any reason why all of a sudden the brakes became weak maybe you should get it checked there is something wrong.
I agree all petra, sienna have got spongy and not so responsive braking but its not that weak once got use to.

I used to face this problem when I first bought my car but it became much better (had more bite) after 5000kms or so.

Since your car has about 48k on the odo why dont you check the brake pads for wear at a reputed garage.

also it could be that your tyres are a bit worn and not giving enough grip. recently after an upsize to wider tyres braking has improved hugely for me

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use excessive dots (........like.........this.........) all over your post.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottle (Post 826866)
also it could be that your tyres are a bit worn and not giving enough grip. recently after an upsize to wider tyres braking has improved hugely for me

agree: Thanks guys...I understand from ur explanation that Fiat Brakes are little Spongy... Anywise I will take to the workshop (Hariparasad Garage in Bangalre) and ask them to check the points you have mentioned above....

Regarding Tires.... I have Brand new tires...Apollo Amazer.... ofcourse I have not upgraded the Size...But still I guess tires may not be the problem...

Guys...what abt my II Question.... When is Petra due for major service...50,000 KMs? or 60,000 KMs? And what are the points I need to consider for this major service...please:
Your answers are very much appreciated....
Regards
Rai

For Palio 1.6, first service is at 1500km. And each service after that is at 7500km or 6 months which ever is earlier. I think petra should also have the same service schedule.
It is not only the distance but also the time since you last serviced.

yup palio service schedules are every 6months or 7500kms which ever is earlier afaik