Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2008, 10:29   #1
BHPian

Judder while downshifting (Safari 2.2)

Of late I've been facing this problem of a judder (for a split second) when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd (speed @ ~ 30 kmph & RPM near idling).This is not a consistent behaviour and happens every now and then.
Am I doing something wrong here ?

Also when I accelerate in 1st/2nd gear,I can sense slight engine movement as if the engine mounts are absent and the engine has been tied via ropes or something ;-))

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
rb2399
Old 13th May 2008, 10:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

get the mounts checked, you could be having a busted engine mount.
Old 13th May 2008, 11:00   #3
BHPian

The car has only clocked ~ 5000 kms in two months.You think the mounts can go kaput in this short span ?

Thanks,
rb2399
Old 14th May 2008, 11:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
The car has only clocked ~ 5000 kms in two months.You think the mounts can go kaput in this short span ?

Thanks,
rb2399
should not happen for about 50K kms but sometimes can happen unexpectedly.

In my case (1990 Nissan) the original mounts were there for over 8 yrs (thats since I know the vehicle - the mechanic said these are originals) until the left side got ruptured probable cause could be due to high prssure power steering hose ruptured and oil on the mount.

checking mounts need a technical eye - can be seen with hood open, look at the mount and ask someone to start / turn off / start / turnoff ignition you will notice engine movement forward backward on a defective mount. easy on rwds

The mounts are damn expensive and since your vehicle is new should be under warranty get it checked / changed.

Driving with a broken mount has very serious effects to the exhaust system especially the rubber hooks, clamps which will snap and worse it may tend to break at muffler joints.

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 14th May 2008 at 11:49.
Old 14th May 2008, 13:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

---Experienced in an old (much older than T-BHP abbreviations, in fact the original) Civic.

Replaced exhaust due to general wear, but the new one broke at the manifold. When I went back to the fitters they dug a little deeper and found the reason to be worn out engine mounts. They replaced the part under warranty, as they had failed to diagnose the problem, which was decent. Of course, I got the mounts done first.

But that was a fifteen-year-old car!
Old 14th May 2008, 15:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
should not happen for about 50K kms but sometimes can happen unexpectedly.

In my case (1990 Nissan) the original mounts were there for over 8 yrs (thats since I know the vehicle - the mechanic said these are originals) until the left side got ruptured probable cause could be due to high prssure power steering hose ruptured and oil on the mount.

checking mounts need a technical eye - can be seen with hood open, look at the mount and ask someone to start / turn off / start / turnoff ignition you will notice engine movement forward backward on a defective mount. easy on rwds

The mounts are damn expensive and since your vehicle is new should be under warranty get it checked / changed.

Driving with a broken mount has very serious effects to the exhaust system especially the rubber hooks, clamps which will snap and worse it may tend to break at muffler joints.

I've observed the engine movement.It is more on sideways rather than backward/forward as you mentioned though not too violent
Old 14th May 2008, 16:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

@rb2399: check this thread out as well..- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...placement.html
Old 14th May 2008, 16:37   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

How much the engine mounts generally cost?
Old 15th May 2008, 00:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

If you go through my previous post, the link mentioned there would give you the cost, that of course are from general market. I do not know the ASC rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
How much the engine mounts generally cost?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks