Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2008, 13:07   #46
BHPian

Hi can be quite simple here
high altitude = less air = more air requ for carb to perform to deliver the power = jetting.
Old 22nd May 2008, 13:26   #47
BHPian

Carb issue cannot be ignored.

Hi,
I belong to Simla and I have done the Jakhu uphill and uphill's setpper that that one in my 2001 Esteem on gypsys and 800s without any issues. With my driving experience I can say there are three possibilities.
1.> The carb in your car has been tuned for plains and not for the hills. You need more fuel to go uphill in 1st gear that you need to do 140 in the plains so a simple un turn of the air/fuel screw on the carb may have done the task.
2.> Are you comfortable riding in the hills. I know shimla traffic can be irritating for drivers from the plains specially when you have to move your car in inches going uphill. My point is your brakes may have heated up specially is you use then for breaking and not using the engine to break + as you were also using the hand break that is a possibility. (When I first learnt driving I was told never to use the hand break uphill as it is bad for the breaks and the engine as well, "You see all these HRTC busses in shimla they go uphill and they done even have a hand break" I was told. )

3.> All this may have caused the clutch to heat up and not function properly though it may not be damaged.

If i had the call I would check the carb and do anything else.
Old 22nd May 2008, 13:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
But here me must also consider the burning smell factor..
There are some questions that only you can answer: Is it likely that the clutch got fried? Unlikely, if you were still able to do 140 on the plains.
And my earlier queries about the 'feel': whether lack of power or lack of delivery of the power.
Old 22nd May 2008, 13:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhogalrajnish View Post
Hi,
1.> The carb in your car has been tuned for plains and not for the hills.
I agree with this and would add the timing advance issue. There are very different settings for plains and hills.
Old 22nd May 2008, 13:42   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
So Sir, will we have the pleasure of seeing you at the meet?
Sorry, Friday night I'm going to be battling crowds and queues at Delhi Int'l Airport seeing off house guests who are visiting!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks