Team-BHP - Queries about automatic and manual climate control
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Queries about automatic and manual climate control (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/39993-queries-about-automatic-manual-climate-control.html)

Hi,
1-Can automatic climate control can help in fuel efficiency?.I am asking this question because like our home air conditioners we set the desired tempreture to{Ex-25} as the room tempreture reaches to {25} degrees then ac compressor gets cut and only blower starts flowing so like this energy is saved.I want to ask do automatic climate controls in cars also do the same?
If they do then when our car ac comperssor gets cut we can gain the same efficiency as we are running a car with ac switched off {for the time period when the compressor is off}.
2-Now about manual ac in our cars do compressor load depends upon fan speed?Do effiency depends upon fan speed.
Sorry for my english.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasu (Post 838780)
Hi,
1-Can automatic climate control can help in fuel efficiency?.I am asking this question because like our home air conditioners we set the desired tempreture to{Ex-25} as the room tempreture reaches to {25} degrees then ac compressor gets cut and only blower starts flowing so like this energy is saved.I want to ask do automatic climate controls in cars also do the same?
If they do then when our car ac comperssor gets cut we can gain the same efficiency as we are running a car with ac switched off {for the time period when the compressor is off}.

Yes
Quote:

2-Now about manual ac in our cars do compressor load depends upon fan speed?Do effiency depends upon fan speed.
not on fan speed but in the manual ones the blue / red dial that is your thermostat / tem control

Yup you are right about automatic A/C's. We just have to set the temprature and then everything is controlled automatically even the blower speed.
Cheers,
Robin.

Wow, this was very informative. Thanks for the inputs ..

:thumbs up

Really ? so you say .. in the manual A/c, the compressor is always running ?
Somewhere i read that the temperature is controlled by pumping hot air into the system to reduce the cooling effect is this true ??

this is something i was pondering for quite some...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfilinto (Post 866734)
Somewhere i read that the temperature is controlled by pumping hot air into the system to reduce the cooling effect is this true ??

This is true for dual-zone AC systems where one passenger wants cold air, and other passenger wants hot air. Since there is only one compressor in the car, heater is used to maintain the hot-zone. Very inefficient but cheaper than having two compressors.

Is it possible to covert/upgrade the manual climate control with Automatic one. From my understanding of the Swift, it is front control panel and may be temperture sensor which gives the feedback to controller are add ons.

regards,
-manju

I have a doubt. According to the explanation given for climate control, the AC when reaching a set temperature disconnects the compressor right? So how does the compressor gets disconnected in older cars (like M800), when we adjust the thermostat? Surely it isnt climate control. What mechanism comes into play in there?

Bang on about the climate control.

About the manual a/c, you need to switch it on and off. Whenever you feel more cold, you can switch off then the blower will be running and still you can get the cold air. But as soon you feel that you are getting the hot air from teh blower, turn on the ac. it will coll once again. This will certainly save fuel to some extent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasu (Post 838780)
Hi,
1-Can automatic climate control can help in fuel efficiency?.I am asking this question because like our home air conditioners we set the desired tempreture to{Ex-25} as the room tempreture reaches to {25} degrees then ac compressor gets cut and only blower starts flowing so like this energy is saved.
Sorry for my english.

No It does not, in automatic climate control, temperature is maintained by mixing the fresh and cabin air. Basically it switches to fresh/recirculation mode automatically. So AC is alway running.

In-fact it upsets the fuel effieciency.

So many questions are in this thread.I also quried about mechanism of manual and automatic air conditioner.But the biggest question is which air conditioner {manual or automatic} help in gaining fuel efficiency or any technique by which we can get desired tempreture and save fuel marginally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasu (Post 868837)
So many questions are in this thread.I also quried about mechanism of manual and automatic air conditioner.But the biggest question is which air conditioner {manual or automatic} help in gaining fuel efficiency or any technique by which we can get desired tempreture and save fuel marginally.

Vasu as I mentioned earlier, Manual will be more fuel efficient than automatic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkbharat (Post 867313)
No It does not, in automatic climate control, temperature is maintained by mixing the fresh and cabin air. Basically it switches to fresh/recirculation mode automatically. So AC is alway running.

In-fact it upsets the fuel effieciency.

You may have got it wrong. AC switches off if it reaches the temperature. It switches between fresh/recirculation depending on whichever is cooler. There are a lot of ways a auto climate control works and may be different in different cars too.

Another question: Does the automatic climate control in swift control only the temperature or does it also control humidity?

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakhon (Post 869240)
Another question: Does the automatic climate control in swift control only the temperature or does it also control humidity?

The mechanism is called automoatic climate control. AFAIK, it also controls humidity alongwith temperature. When the humidity increases in the cabin, automatically, the ac will get turned on.