Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2008, 14:59   #1

thudding noise in steering column of 980kms driven dzire vdi

all the gurus out there. your take on this issue is urgently wanted as 1'st service of my car DzireVDI,is due in 20kms more. My concern is-the steering column gives a thudding noise when i travel on pot holes or kuccha roads,this particular sound is more while turning the car.On well carpeted roads there is no such sound. this is my first car with power steering,so i donot know whether this is normal[power steering's are more sensitive] this sound is there right from day one of my purchasel. there are other issues as well[i have posted in my review section].till now 9 read's with Zero replies. Kindly help so that i can tackle the situtation well during the first service of the car[due in next 20kms].
Old 24th May 2008, 23:06   #2
Team-BHP Support

thud or is it more metallic tuk tuk sound? and is it when the steering is turned or any rough patch (even when straight)?

Best is to show it to A S S and demonstrate in person over rough patch.
Old 24th May 2008, 23:42   #3
BHPian

Have to agree with Jaggu on this one. Without actually hearing the sound and experiencing it in motion, responses here could be purely speculative...

Best you drive it in to your dealer and let them diagnose the problem.
Old 25th May 2008, 01:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Oh God!!! Isn't this similar to the Baleno's khatak problem? The problem is now in D'zire also? I was told by a maruti service engineer that the issue is because of the Tilt Steering and they were not sure if it is possible to fix the problem.
Regards,
Kaushik
Old 25th May 2008, 09:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Oh God!!! Isn't this similar to the Baleno's khatak problem? The problem is now in D'zire also? I was told by a maruti service engineer that the issue is because of the Tilt Steering and they were not sure if it is possible to fix the problem.
Sounds like the same problem. My Maruti service guy said the same noise happens in Swifts too. It's supposedly due to the 'steering damper'. And he even demonstrated it to me in my car. Said it typically happens when turning the steering to the left while going over a rough patch. Sounds as if something is loose in the driver's footwell.
Old 25th May 2008, 11:25   #6
Team-BHP Support

oh ok, if so only solution is to see if you can source a plastic damper instead of metallic ones, had done this mod for my zen.
Old 25th May 2008, 11:50   #7

elaboration,of this sound in DzireVdi

this sound is not of sharp pitch. more like heavy thuck-thuck,kind of sound.It is heard only once,whencrossing a pothole,but is multiple whencrossing a long strech of rough road.the intensity is more,whileturning the car,and yes it is more while turning to left. my spontaneous reaction is to push the steering down with force. feeelings are as if something is loose somewhere in the steering column.P.S.-no such sound what so ever on smooth roads.i travelled about 50kms on national highway[verywell carpeted],but didnot hear the sound even once. Any specific part/s i need to get checked at the servicestation?
Old 25th May 2008, 15:13   #8
Team-BHP Support

I think this is the steering damper sound, check with A S S if they have a solution. Maybe since its new car they might have a replacement option or the rack, this is one of the longest living issue with Maruti vehicles with rack and pinion steering.
Old 25th May 2008, 17:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

I doubt, I do not hear any such sound in my SX4 zxi with tilt steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Regards,
Kaushik
Old 25th May 2008, 19:54   #10
BHPian

I had a similar issue with my LDI before the first service. In my case it used to come from the right though. Didn't think it was from the steering colum. During the first service, the SA said it was from the brake calliper not being greased properly and was quite common. They fixed it during the service. Since then its gone down a lot but still comes if a take a speedbreaker too fast.
Old 25th May 2008, 20:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Mountainblood, don't worry. Take your car for the first service and explain gently about the problem. The friendly approach will always yield better results compared to a 'confrontational' one. Ask a service advisor or mechanic to come for a test drive. Make sure your complaint is clearly mentioned on the job card.
I see that you are in Mandi. You know your people. I think Himachalis are a very decent and helpful sort.
So smile and go right in for your first service and let them find out what is wrong.
Do give us an update later!
Old 25th May 2008, 23:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Err, completely OT question.

Every car it seems has a set of "common" problems. One can understand retooling the line may take time, but how much rocket science is it for dealers to correct it - grease the brake callipers the right way etc? After all, we will take the cars back to THEM only, no? Better they give us well sorted out cars upfront only!
Old 28th May 2008, 11:25   #13

Hi Mountain Blood.

I had also faced this issue with my Swift Vdi 2008 and have been behind the service guys to rectify this. I have exactly understood your problem.

The issues I faced were.
1) when the car moves over potholes there is a thuddd (very faint one which could be felt on the right side of the car and also reflects on the steeting colums.I told Mandovi Motors , *** about this and they couldnt get a solution for 2 months. They kept telling me that this was normal for all swifts and i denied as my cousin who also picked up a swift in dec2007 dint have this. I told them that this has to be sorted out and they took the car for a check up.

They later tld me that the front right side suspension had a been faultyly adjusted by MUL and so they had to tweak it and then they took a computerised report which showed all my suspensions passed the test. So now that sound is gone i must say.

2)But still the faint thudd on the steering exists and I told them i will not take the car from the Service center until they fixed it. They in turn summoned another Supervisor and asked me to explain the issue to him and luckily that guy was a little more technically sound and understood what exactly i waas refering too.. Thank GOD!!

He said he will make a check up and then called me up the same day and told me that the some " Right End Joint " had to be replaced and that would fix the noise.

They replaced some End but still the noise never came to an end. Also while i came to take my car i noticed taht there was a scratch on my car which happened at the *** Mandovi Motors and they agreed to it and i told them i will need to get a paint job on that. They have agreed to that. Also I called up Maruti and registered a compliaint against the dealer and to my surprise things were going with a priority basis since then. Im still stuck with this sound Maruti is sending some engineer to check this ont the 30th of Mat 08. ill keep you guys posted on that...

Nothin much to worry about the noise .. you'll get used to it..
cheers.

Most Viewed