Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 11:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Autocop Cobra siren starts blowing in rain

I have a Hyundai i10 with Autocop Cobra security system installed from the dealer. This system has engine immobiliser and motion sensor features.

After yesterday's rains in Bangalore, this security system has started to misbehave.

Yesterday I had parked the car in my office parking. The parking is basically a shed - covered on the top, but open from the sides. Since yesterday's rains were accompanied by storms also, the water entered the parking space from the sides and the car got wet. After this, the security system has been misbehaving.

When I unlocked the car in the evening with the remote, it gave 4 beeps instead of the normal 1 beep. IIRC, 4 beeps is an error indication such as one of the doors not locked properly or unauthorised entry.

Anyway, I ignored this and went home. The car was parked in open and it rained again in the night. After this, the siren started blowing along with the indicators blinking continuously.

Since it was late in the night and I was not in the mood for R&D, I just locked the car with the key. The neighbourhood is quite safe and I also have a gear lock.

Today morning, everything seems fine and the security system is behaving normal.

My questions:

1. Is it normal for security systems to misbehave during rains ?

2. If the car is left unattended for long with the siren blowing, will it cause the battery to drain ?

3. What should be the further course of action ? I can call the Autocop Service, but the problem may not reoccur when they come.

Rohan
Old 13th April 2010, 19:02   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
When I unlocked the car in the evening with the remote, it gave 4 beeps instead of the normal 1 beep. IIRC, 4 beeps is an error indication such as one of the doors not locked properly or unauthorised entry.
Could be that the siren went off in your absence? I've seen this with my ex-OHC sometimes. Whenever it happened, the alarm had triggered in my absence.

Quote:
After this, the siren started blowing along with the indicators blinking continuously.
You have the impact sensors activated, that's why. Basically, even if a pedestrian nudges the car hard, or during heavy rain (as in your case), the alarm can go off.

Personally, I find the impact sensors quite annoying (way too many false alarms) and keep them disabled in all my cars. The motion sensors (which activate upon any movement in the interiors) are enough.

I suggest you get Autocop / your dealer to switch the impact sensors off.
Old 14th April 2010, 17:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Could be that the siren went off in your absence? I've seen this with my ex-OHC sometimes. Whenever it happened, the alarm had triggered in my absence.
Yes even I feel that the alarm must have went off while the car was parked in my office parking. But I am trying to figure out why it happened (and how to avoid it in future).

My office parking is quite secure, so unauthorised entry can be ruled out. Also, I am sure that all 5 doors were closed properly (since I use only one door and the others are generally never opened).

I have read somewhere that motion sensors can get activated if some insect gets trapped inside the cabin.

I also have a feeling that the rains have something to do with the alarm going off.

Quote:
You have the impact sensors activated, that's why. Basically, even if a pedestrian nudges the car hard, or during heavy rain (as in your case), the alarm can go off.

Personally, I find the impact sensors quite annoying (way too many false alarms) and keep them disabled in all my cars. The motion sensors (which activate upon any movement in the interiors) are enough.
My security system does not have impact sensors. It only has motion sensors which sense motion inside the cabin.

Quote:
I suggest you get Autocop / your dealer to switch the impact sensors off.
I have not yet contacted Autocop since this has happened only once. If it happens again I would contact Autocop service.

Some more doubts:

1. Where are the main module and siren installed ?

2. Is it possible for rain water to reach them and trigger false alarm ?

Rohan
Old 14th April 2010, 19:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Same issue i faced with the Maruti Nippon security system. When i tried to unlock the car with the key, buzzer went on and started to make every type of noise for around 30 sec. Then the car got unlocked and buzzer suddenly went off. Don't know if it is a security feature or a panic alarm for the driver. From that day never tried to mess with the system.
I strongly recommend every person driving a security system enabled car to carry the contact information of the service dept. of car's security system manufacturer.
Old 14th April 2010, 19:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Same issue i faced with the Maruti Nippon security system. When i tried to unlock the car with the key, buzzer went on and started to make every type of noise for around 30 sec. Then the car got unlocked and buzzer suddenly went off. Don't know if it is a security feature or a panic alarm for the driver. From that day never tried to mess with the system.
I strongly recommend every person driving a security system enabled car to carry the contact information of the service dept. of car's security system manufacturer.
This is how a security system is supposed to behave, this is not an issue.

When the car is locked with the remote, it is supposed to be unlocked with remote. If the car is locked with remote but opened with key, it is treated as an unauthorised entry. Hence the siren going off.

Rohan
Old 14th April 2010, 20:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

What if the car is manually locked by pushing the knob and holding the outer door handle. Will it open with the key or will again sound off??
Old 15th April 2010, 09:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
What if the car is manually locked by pushing the knob and holding the outer door handle. Will it open with the key or will again sound off??
Its really simple - if you lock it manually, you should open it manually. If you lock it with remote, you should open it with remote.

Don't try other combinations - locking manually and opening with remote, locking with remote and opening manually.

Rohan
Old 15th April 2010, 12:54   #23
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some more doubts:

1. Where are the main module and siren installed ?

2. Is it possible for rain water to reach them and trigger false alarm ?
The siren is usually located inside the bonnet. The main module is usually tucked away securely in a corner under the dashboard inside the car and it is unlikely that rain water could reach either of these places.
Old 15th April 2010, 18:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
The siren is usually located inside the bonnet. The main module is usually tucked away securely in a corner under the dashboard inside the car and it is unlikely that rain water could reach either of these places.
Thanks gpa.

I'm still not able to figure out why the siren went off during the rains.

Rohan
Old 13th July 2010, 15:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Refer to the Autocop siren problem mentioned in my previous posts.

The siren used to sound automatically after rains (even when there was no unauthorised entry).

I mentioned this problem to the Advaith Hyundai (Outer Ring Road) service advisor during the routine service last Saturday.

At the time of delivery, the service advisor confirmed that he had got the Autocop wiring inspected and insulated and there was no issue. Obviously the moron had not inspected the wiring at all (reason: read below).

It rained again on Saturday evening (after I took the delivery), and the siren started to sound again. When I called up the service advisor and told him that the problem has not been rectified, he asked me to contact Autocop.

The Autocop service person came today and within seconds he was able to spot the problem. The wire from the bonnet sensor had got cut and was getting short cicuited by rain water. If Advaith Hyundai service centre had checked the wiring, how could they not spot this obvious problem ?

Thumbs up for Autocop service and thumbs down for Advaith Hyundai service.

The Autocop person told that the bonnet sensor should be installed on the bottom portion (car body) and not on the hood, so that the wire doesn't have to be routed from the car body to the hood. At the moment, he has cut the wire going to the bonnet sensor.

My questions:

1. Is it OK to leave the bonnet sensor deactivated ?

2. Is this sensor a part of the car's locking system or is it a part of the Autocop security system ?

3. Is it possible to change the position of this sensor as recommended by the Autocop person ?

Rohan
Old 13th July 2010, 20:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Obviously the moron had not inspected the wiring at all (reason: read below).
He may not have thought of that sensor and checked only the door ones.

Quote:
1. Is it OK to leave the bonnet sensor deactivated ?
That wouid be one area which is not covered by the system, until it is connected back.

Quote:
2. Is this sensor a part of the car's locking system or is it a part of the Autocop security system ?
Part of Autocop.

Quote:
3. Is it possible to change the position of this sensor as recommended by the Autocop person ?
Should be possible. Usually fitted on the body.
Old 26th November 2012, 18:16   #27
BHPian

Re: Autocop Central Locking Issue

I have got a Autocop security system in my Ikon. I have two problems with it.

1. The central locking button on the remote locks or unlocks the doors only when the engine is switched on. Not in any other case. The indicators blinks 2 times but the car doesnt lock itself. I opened up the central panel located under the front flaps and saw that the LED for the lock blinks but the car doesnt actually lock. The system works properly when the engine is started.

2. The siren doesnt work or is not present. I dont exactly know since i bought the car used. Where do i find the siren for the autocop system? Can anybody point me to a specific place to check? How much will the siren cost to replace?
Old 26th November 2012, 20:14   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post

1. The central locking button on the remote locks or unlocks the doors only when the engine is switched on. Not in any other case. The indicators blinks 2 times but the car doesnt lock itself. I opened up the central panel located under the front flaps and saw that the LED for the lock blinks but the car doesnt actually lock. The system works properly when the engine is started.

2. The siren doesnt work or is not present. I dont exactly know since i bought the car used. Where do i find the siren for the autocop system? Can anybody point me to a specific place to check? How much will the siren cost to replace?
Replying in the points you have asked:

1) IMO, one blink with one siren means car is lock and two blinks with two sirens means car is unlocked. Is there a problem with your car battery or the Autocop wiring circuit. It is my guess. Just check it buddy.

2)The siren is generally place near the headlamps or near the radiator grill. There might be a loose contact or the siren has gone kaput!
Old 26th November 2012, 20:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post

There is a mode called as Remote button lock/unlock mode. In this, the car only flashes but the command is not executed. This might be activated in your system. Attaching a image which I downloaded from somewhere on TBHP, forgot from where! but this might help you.

Autocop Central Locking Issue-img002.jpg

Do check the note marked in * at the bottom part. Its mentioned in there.

Attaching another image which might help you to understand other functions of your car as well.

Autocop Central Locking Issue-img001.jpg

Quote:
First make sure that the siren is present. If it is an aftermarket system, in all probability, there would be another siren other than the normal car horn. Just look into the bonnet and you will find it if it is there.

If not, then I guess you could call up Autocop for help or someone here might be able to point some way out.
Old 26th November 2012, 22:34   #30
BANNED

If your is equipped with a 3 button remote then:

1) To UNLOCK in Silent mode (without Siren):

Press the centre button once (marked generally with an *) and then the UNLOCK button. The car with flash twice and locks open.

2) To LOCK in Silent Mode (without siren)

Press the centre button once (marked generally with an *) and then the LOCK button. The car with flash once and locks close.

The center button is generally used a 'Car-Finder' as in a big shopping mall/car park if you have forgotten where you have parked the car then just press the centre button and the car flashes continuously till acknowledged.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks