Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2008, 15:59   #16
BHPian

in the process of getting a Windshield, you are going to lose out on the NCB.
Not sure if thats a great idea though
Old 28th May 2008, 17:01   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gods-envy View Post
in the process of getting a Windshield, you are going to lose out on the NCB.Not sure if thats a great idea though
The premium of a 7 year old Wagon R would be i am taking a rough guess here, about 4K-5K/annum. So for such a low amount the question of thinking of an NCB is plain stupidity. What about the "free premium" he paid for last 7 years? Let him squeeze out the insurance folks atleast once

@Vnabhi, good idea. Do you want me to throw a stone on your windshield?

Last edited by mobike008 : 28th May 2008 at 17:02.
Old 28th May 2008, 17:15   #18
Team-BHP Support

Yes the premium will be low since its an old car. But NCB can be carried forward to the new car he may buy. In which case he can transfer this car to someone else in the family and transfer its NCB to his new car. Assuming the car is currently registered in his name and he does not wish to sell it.

Last edited by bblost : 28th May 2008 at 17:16. Reason: opyt
Old 28th May 2008, 17:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
The premium of a 7 year old Wagon R would be i am taking a rough guess here, about 4K-5K/annum. So for such a low amount the question of thinking of an NCB is plain stupidity. What about the "free premium" he paid for last 7 years? Let him squeeze out the insurance folks atleast once
But this 7 year's NCB is going to play wonders if he is buying a new car and transferring the NCB to it's insurance. And since it is 7 years most probably a new car maybe in cards.

Edit: oops! somebody already mentioned it while I was typing my post.
Old 28th May 2008, 18:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I am in the same boat, dude. WindShield Experts in Hyd gave me the same opinion. I am now contemplating throwing a stone at my windscreen and claiming insurance (have not filed a single claim in the past 7 years).
What say guys? How much can I get from insurance if my windscreen is damaged this way? I am aware that I have to pay for the beading and glue, but how much would they cost?

The cost of a new windshield for a Zen will be fairly low, compared to the loss of NCB while transferring it to a new car (as & when)

You'd probably have 65% NCB now, if you take a claim your NCB becomes zero & then the highest it will go upto is 50% (new rule)

Absolutely not worth taking a claim IMHO

It works out much cheaper changing wiper blades once a year than changing a windshield, a fact that most of us overlook.

Cheers
Old 28th May 2008, 18:34   #21
BHPian

Back to the topic:D

here in mumbai there are lots of bad maintained cars running (taxi, trucks).

So when it rains, all the oil from their under carriage is washed off and left on the road.

That oil comes on the windshield from the car ahead and forms a oil film.

Now when it rains, there are dry/wet patches, the water flows down partially when the wipers are not used.

So what do i do for this. Coz when you use the wipers on the interval mode, in that break the water patches are formed affecting the visibility during daylight.

I have tried wiping my windshield with colin once but didn't help much. I even diluted it with water and filled the washer.

This summer i got the Wuerth/wurth summer screenwash liquid for removing the dried dead bugs off the windshield. Is there the same for the monsoon, will it help for the rains?

the TSC once cleaned my windshield when i told them. but i cant keep going there everytime.

Any home remedy also??

thanx
Old 29th May 2008, 14:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Stubborn stains on windshields can be washed with RIN - it works. Make sure the soapy solution does not dry on the paint of your car though as it is a strong soap unlike Colin glass cleaner.

Try this it should work.

Cheers
Old 29th May 2008, 14:27   #23
Team-BHP Support

Tobacco from a ciggie works wonders on the windscreen.
Old 29th May 2008, 15:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
@Vnabhi, good idea. Do you want me to throw a stone on your windshield?
Looks like I will give you the privelege when we meet next . My annual premium is around 3500 for the past 2 years, with 50% NCB.
Old 29th May 2008, 15:24   #25
BHPian

After 7 years of driving the 1996 model M800 (I got it second hand), I am happy that there aren't any scratches on the windscreen. Got a new set of Bosch wipers recently as well.
Old 29th May 2008, 17:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

Bosch wipers, well I really beg to differ here about them. Have used Bosch wipers and I was totally unsatisfied with their performance. Only for first few days I used to get clean windshield and after that it was a streak hell. Sometimes I felt that I could see more if I don't wipe the water off then to wipe it using those wipers. Driving during rains specially during night was a nightmare. Maybe it's just my bad luck to end up with lemons. Now I've changed back to Syndicate ones which comes as MGP just few days back. Let's hope they'll be lil' bit better then the Bosch ones, till now things are promising but I'll wait for 2-3 months to see where it ends up.

Regards,
Kaushik
Old 29th May 2008, 17:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, how often must we change the wiper blades? How much do they cost? It's high time I did so on my WagonR, as it is nearly 7 years old now.
7 years!! No wonder you don't know the price. See if there's any rubber on it. If not its time to change .
Old 30th May 2008, 00:02   #28
BHPian

hey i read this in the paper some time back... toothpaste works wonders on the windshield... and liquid polish on those faded black plastic bumpers

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation and avoid...typing...like...this. Make sure you read the Team-BHP rules before continuing.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th May 2008 at 03:13. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 30th May 2008, 11:00   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
TIPs for long life:
  • Before using the Wipers, make sure there are no leaves / twigs / dust on the wind shield. (You might actually get wet during the process)
  • Use the soapy liquid spray, the first time you switch on the wiper. (even if the wind shield is already wet) supposedly for lubrication.
when you park you car in the sun for a long period, lift the arms of the wipers. A car can get very hot inside. This heat can reduce the life of the rubber. if your wiper is not in contact with your windsheild the rubber blade wont deteriorate as fast.
Old 30th May 2008, 11:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
.... I am now contemplating throwing a stone at my windscreen and claiming insurance (have not filed a single claim in the past 7 years).
What say guys? ....
Better check with the insurance guys if Windshield is covered.... otherwise you'll end up paying for everything.

But anyway, If the scratches can not be removed easily, then it's better to get the glass replaced.
But get it done at authorized service center, Few years ago, I got the windshield glass replaced for my old 800, and the mechanic did a bad job.
I had to drive down from Lonavala to Pune in heavy rain with water leaking inside the car from the new windshield.

Most Viewed