Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2008, 14:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Is your car ready for the rainy season ?

Hi

It has been raining in Delhi in the past week, which is unusual for this time of the year. It may have caught a lot of us unprepared for the rains as far as the car/s readiness is concerned.

Just thought it may be a nice idea to share the condition of our car's two crucial parts the rains are going to test - Tyres & Wiper Blades.

I am posting pics of the tyres & wiper blades of my cars, would be nice if we could share the pics of each others rides.

Picasa Web Albums - Rakesh - Wipers & Tyres

Better be safe than sorry

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 27th May 2008 at 14:52.
Old 27th May 2008, 14:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

My Scorpio's tyres can be seen here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...y-scorpio.html
Old 27th May 2008, 18:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yup, I'm all prepared for rains in Bangalore. My car is so dirty that even the rains might not wash it off. It actually got dirty because I had to drive in some slushy Bangalore roads during rains. So why bother cleaning it as it rains or rather it drizzles almost daily here!!

I need to get my wipers fixed though. Thanks for the idea.
Old 27th May 2008, 18:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Guys, how often must we change the wiper blades? How much do they cost? It's high time I did so on my WagonR, as it is nearly 7 years old now.
I was talking to the Hyd branch of Windshield Experts, and they say one needs to change the wiper blades every year. Don't you think that is an exaggeration?
Old 27th May 2008, 18:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys, how often must we change the wiper blades? How much do they cost? It's high time I did so on my WagonR, as it is nearly 7 years old now.
Yeah its high time you get them changed. 7years is really long.I change them every year and don't ask me why.

Also a pair of Bosch wipers should cost you about 350 bucks.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2008, 19:00   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup. Having good quality wipers is critical. Also, having wide tyres actually dont help in rain/snow as people might otherwise believe.
Old 27th May 2008, 19:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was talking to the Hyd branch of Windshield Experts, and they say one needs to change the wiper blades every year. Don't you think that is an exaggeration?

Not changed wipers in 7 years ??? And they have'nt scratched your windshield ??? It is adviseable to change them every year - if not - then at least once every two years, depends on the quality of the rubber IMHO

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Yup. Having good quality wipers is critical. Also, having wide tyres actually dont help in rain/snow as people might otherwise believe.

Maybe the width is not of consequence - depth of the tread surely is

Cheers

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th May 2008 at 11:51. Reason: Please use multi quote option instead of making back to back posts
Old 28th May 2008, 12:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

I had a doubt. I have a NHC and ordered wiper baldes from Ebay. The size mentioned was 20/18(right/left).
When I tried it on my car, the original wipers are 23/15 or something. While the total adds up to 38 inches in both cases, will this make any difference?
These were Bosch wipers and cost 390/-.
I do not want to use the new ones and then return it.
Old 28th May 2008, 13:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Not changed wipers in 7 years ??? And they have'nt scratched your windshield ??? It is adviseable to change them every year - if not - then at least once every two years, depends on the quality of the rubber IMHO

Cheers
Well, I owned an 800 for 12 years and never changed the wipers ! As regards the current car, yes, there are scratches, not because of the wipers, but due to my maid cleaning the windscreen with her bangles on!
Old 28th May 2008, 13:19   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I had a doubt. I have a NHC and ordered wiper baldes from Ebay. The size mentioned was 20/18(right/left).
When I tried it on my car, the original wipers are 23/15 or something. While the total adds up to 38 inches in both cases, will this make any difference?
These were Bosch wipers and cost 390/-.
I do not want to use the new ones and then return it.
I need new blades for my NHC too... where are the original Bosch ones available? And how does one be sure if its not a fake?

Also, it would be a good idea to get your cars polished before the rains to protect the paint.

Last edited by Sahil : 28th May 2008 at 13:29.
Old 28th May 2008, 13:30   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I owned an 800 for 12 years and never changed the wipers ! As regards the current car, yes, there are scratches, not because of the wipers, but due to my maid cleaning the windscreen with her bangles on!
Amazing that you haven't changed them for so long. Rather than a compulsion, i feel the need to change them due to the creak creak noise that starts each year.
Old 28th May 2008, 13:30   #12
BHPian

I wanted to get rid of the scratches on windshield of my Zen.
I went to 'WindShield Experts' in PUne
They told me they only replace the windshield and do not do any repairs !!

Where can I get the windshield polished to get rid of the scratches?
Old 28th May 2008, 14:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

WOW - how do your wipers stay useful so long ? Do they clean the windshield properly ? More than anything it is a safety hazard if the night vision is bad during rains. Anyway I guess if you have no problems, carry on.

Cheers
Old 28th May 2008, 15:46   #14
BHPian

IMHO the age shouldn't matter as long as the rubber is in good condition.

TIPs for long life:
  • Before using the Wipers, make sure there are no leaves / twigs / dust on the wind shield. (You might actually get wet during the process)
  • Use the soapy liquid spray, the first time you switch on the wiper. (even if the wind shield is already wet) supposedly for lubrication.
Old 28th May 2008, 15:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyodi Backster View Post
I wanted to get rid of the scratches on windshield of my Zen.
I went to 'WindShield Experts' in PUne
They told me they only replace the windshield and do not do any repairs !!

Where can I get the windshield polished to get rid of the scratches?
I am in the same boat, dude. WindShield Experts in Hyd gave me the same opinion. I am now contemplating throwing a stone at my windscreen and claiming insurance (have not filed a single claim in the past 7 years).
What say guys? How much can I get from insurance if my windscreen is damaged this way? I am aware that I have to pay for the beading and glue, but how much would they cost?

Most Viewed