Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2008, 08:53   #16
BHPian

Thanks one and all for your suggestions.

Latest observation. Yesterday wifey filled in 'Speed' from BP COCO (opposite RTO) worth 1000 bucks. I ran the car this morning to work (20 kms from home) and I thought the car ran well. Could feel the jerks but was not as frequent as it was earlier.

I would not conclude just yet about the bad fuel theory. Am heading to Mumbai over the weekend and see how the car runs on the e-way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I faced the same issue few weeks back where the engine felt sluggish and used to jerk at RPM's between 1k and 1.5k. Got the spark plug's cleaned (not much visible deposits though), got the distributor cleaned and feels much better now. Need to get the injectors cleaned and the TB cleaned too.

My suggestion is get the injectors and the throttle body cleaned. Also check for worn out spark plugs and loose plug wires. It could be possible that not all cylinders are getting fired. If your engine is pinging or knocking then bad fuel is the culprit. How is the FE? Check the timing also. This should resolve the issue IMO.
The throttle body was cleaned in the last service (2000 kms back). However, the injectors have not been cleaned since I bought the car last June. And it has run with the same set of spark plugs as well since then. A good 12k kms.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th May 2008 at 09:13.
Old 30th May 2008, 09:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I guess he has advanced the timing. Do you hear any pinging or knocking sound? If yes, then get the timing retarded or adjusted to normal settings.
Yes, that is what he had said. I don't hear any new sounds from the engine (or maybe, I need to observe further). My car is gone for a fresh coat of paint. Once I get it back, I'll drive it around some more and then get back to SM ...
Old 30th May 2008, 13:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

wanderlust,

put one bottle of Bardhal Fuel Injector cleaner with your next tankful. This should be available from your Lancer A.S.S.

This is the simplest thing to do before doing any major changes / repair / injector cleaning etc.,
Old 30th May 2008, 15:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
wanderlust,

put one bottle of Bardhal Fuel Injector cleaner with your next tankful. This should be available from your Lancer A.S.S.

This is the simplest thing to do before doing any major changes / repair / injector cleaning etc.,
I have been doing my regular services at the used car dealer's workshop. Any idea where I can source it from? Is it available on petrol pumps? Or some other place?
Old 30th May 2008, 16:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

try petrol pumps or any dealer for performance mods... some of the local service stations also may stock.

You can still walk into the Mitsu *** and ask for it.
Old 30th May 2008, 16:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

If you are unable to get Bardhal fuel injector cleaner, try getting Iftex System G (for petrol engines). It is available at most BP bunks. Sonax also has a similar product. Off late though System G is not available in few bunks i enquired at. It seems due to low demand stocks have stopped being refreshed.
Old 31st May 2008, 13:42   #22
BHPian

Wanderlust get your fuelling checked. Fuel quality, filter, pump, injectors.
Old 2nd June 2008, 13:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
Wanderlust get your fuelling checked. Fuel quality, filter, pump, injectors.
Also check the throttle position sensor. I got the TPS in my car re-adjusted and the throttle response is better. Will be getting the throttle body cleaned along with the injectors soon. TB will be removed, soaked in thinner and refitted. Injectors will be removed, cleaned and refitted.
Old 2nd June 2008, 16:35   #24
BHPian

Went to a BP pump near Koregaon Park. Picked up this petrol additive called Iftex System G. It is supposed to clean injectors of gum and vanish deposits and many more virtues. Its worth Rs. 250/- for a 200 ml bottle. As per instructions on the bottle, 1 ml/ ltr of fuel. Which means this can serve me for four tank fulls. I did a tank full yesterday, will dump 1/4th of the bottle and see how the car runs for the next 100 odd kms.

Will update all in a few days time.
Old 4th June 2008, 09:53   #25
BHPian

Well, here are the first impressions after adding about 100 ml of System G to a tank full. The jerking is now almost not there. Its been two days of running, 40 kms each day and I think the problem is resolved to a great extent.

In the next tank-full will use the remaining 100 ml System G and hope to see even better results. Fingers crossed!
Old 4th June 2008, 10:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that man. So it seems the injectors were the culprit in your car's case.
Old 4th June 2008, 10:57   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Good to know that man. So it seems the injectors were the culprit in your car's case.
Yes, looking at how the car has responded to System-G it has to be the injectors. Will wait to see if the effect is there in the long run.

Wifey took the car to work today and she called me up to say the car did not jerk at all . Its working!
Old 4th June 2008, 11:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

wanderlust,

Use System-G for 4 tankfuls ( if you have been using regular petrol all this time and havent got the fuel system cleaned ever ). That should rid the problem completely.

If you wish to continue using regular petrol, then use the Bardhal Injector cleaner ( one bottle in a tankful ) every 5000kms and you should be fine.

Happy Motoring.
Old 12th September 2011, 16:24   #29
BHPian

Jerking at low RPMs, Only when engine is cold.

Hi guys,

My Santro Xing 08' has this problem where the engine starts jerking at low RPMs, This usually happens when the engine is cold, This happens when the car is in motion and the throttle is pressed a little in the first gear and just after releasing the clutch after engaging 2nd gear. The issue vanishes after the engine is heated up.

I've also noticed that when i'm driving on an incline road, the power is dropped just for a second and comes back instantly, It seems as if i released the throttle for a second and pushed it back immediately.

The issue was informed to the service adviser who adjusted the clutch and claimed that it was the issue with the clutch plates, The car was fine for a few days after it was serviced but it crept back again.

Why would the car jerk only when the engine is cold if the issue is with the clutch plates?

P.S- The car was serviced 20 days back including spark plug change, and feeds only on Shell unleaded.
Old 12th September 2011, 17:56   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jerking at low RPMs, Only when engine is cold.

Check if the fuel pump is providing enough pressure when the engine is cold, at low rpms. Also, do make a note to check the ignition coil.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks