Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2008, 23:25   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
@jalsa777:

The part BENT VALVES again seems somewhat non-understandable. Please ask for explanation and post here. It is mostly not possible that the valves got BENT.
It is very common for interference engines. in fact he should be happy that the damage stopped with bent valves only.
Old 2nd June 2008, 23:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
It is very common for interference engines. in fact he should be happy that the damage stopped with bent valves only.

Wow, came to know that diesel engine has this problem. Yes he is lucky that only the valves are bent and no further damage to engines.
Old 3rd June 2008, 12:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

In an interference diesel powerplant, if the timing belt/chain breaks or slips out of the groove (rarest of rare), then it results in major engine damage, such as bent valves, broken piston heads, damaged lining etc.

I believe when someone tried to start the Skoda was started after the mishap, the valves bent as the belt was broken and it stopped at that. If the belt had broken while the car was running then the damage probably would have been greater. And secondly, I saw that the estimate was posted as 300K. Is my eyesight correct or....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
@jalsa777:

Thanks for upgrading us all about the presence of timing belt and not timing chain.
The fact that this does not have a timing belt cover is not good that too for such an expensive machine.

The part BENT VALVES again seems somewhat non-understandable. Please ask for explanation and post here. It is mostly not possible that the valves got BENT.

Looking forward to images.
Old 3rd June 2008, 19:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
In an interference diesel powerplant, if the timing belt/chain breaks or slips out of the groove (rarest of rare), then it results in major engine damage, such as bent valves, broken piston heads, damaged lining etc.

I believe when someone tried to start the Skoda was started after the mishap, the valves bent as the belt was broken and it stopped at that. If the belt had broken while the car was running then the damage probably would have been greater. And secondly, I saw that the estimate was posted as 300K. Is my eyesight correct or....
Yes, if there is something is wrong in timing, then the valves and piston interfere each other in movements, so therefore the bent valves.
Here the owner/user of the car tried to start the engine after the crash.

The estimate is 300K, yes that is the estimate given to the thread started by the dealer.
Old 3rd June 2008, 19:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It was also a lack of common sense to start the car up when it was obvious there was damage in the engine bay.

Did you expect the engine to be encapsulated in a anothet metal box. The car has suffered a major impact. If you want a car to be immune to such impact buy a hummer or an amby
i expect the timing belt to be well protected.
its a critical part,
and its basic engine design and common sense on part of engineer to protect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Jalsa,
I also would suggest you to get a 2nd opinion - but it seems like the owrk has already started on your car.

I see a mention of bent valves - buddy which dealer have you taken the car to ?

EDIT - just saw that you changed the timing belt at 60000 kms. How much did it cost ?

work has already started.

the engine was running when the impact happened.
the timing belt broke at that instant and hence the valves must have damaged.

it costs 18k for the whole timing belt assemble that they change.

I'll put up all the costs when i get them.
I am still having estimates with me right now
Old 3rd June 2008, 20:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

I checked and found a startling fact. Skoda, Fiesta - both diesel & petrol and one more the name I'm forgetting have this peculiar problem. If the fan/alternator belt snaps in these cars then due to the immense back pressure the timing belt/chain too snaps instantly and the valves bend.

Jalsa, that is what happened to your Skoda..
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 10:52   #22
BHPian

Re: alternator belt damages timing belt???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I checked and found a startling fact. Skoda, Fiesta - both diesel & petrol and one more the name I'm forgetting have this peculiar problem. If the fan/alternator belt snaps in these cars then due to the immense back pressure the timing belt/chain too snaps instantly and the valves bend.

Jalsa, that is what happened to your Skoda..
Hello Mr. GD1418,

If the Fiesta Diesel has the same problem, the Figo Diesel must be having the same problem too. I just came by this thread accidentally.

Few months ago, helping a friend with his car purchase decision, I found a gentleman shouting at the Ford guys for ruining his Figo. The Figo had snapped alternator belt, timing belt, bent valves, broken pistons, everything you can imagine had got damaged and the service center had quoted 2 lakhs for repairs. The car was spotless from outside. I must have enquired with the service center then.

But this is a very very rare problem.

Can you give a few more details regarding why this happens in these cars?

Regards,
Ashok.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks