Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2008, 15:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

@rajivanoj, go by your user manual - the manufacturer knows what is best for the cars they make.

Most modern (petrol) cars come with 10000kms oil change instruction. But, if your
Lancer manual says 5000kms, do it at that interval.
Old 3rd June 2008, 15:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

SB & others: Dont the service station guys recommend oil change at 5k even when manual says 10k?
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

But then they are only servicers, not manufacturers - I would go by the manufacturer's words.

BTW they do not ask you to bring in the car only for oil change - they ask you to get the car for a service every 5K kms. And if a car comes in for service once in 5K kms, they do stand to gain, don't they ? Which would explain their insistence on 5K km interval.

BTW, this was discussed in detail at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tch-sedan.html
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:36   #19
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
But then they are only servicers, not manufacturers - I would go by the manufacturer's words.

BTW they do not ask you to bring in the car only for oil change - they ask you to get the car for a service every 5K kms. And if a car comes in for service once in 5K kms, they do stand to gain, don't they ? Which would explain their insistence on 5K km interval.

BTW, this was discussed in detail at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tch-sedan.html

manufacturers are trying to please the majority. if one of the manufacturers say that his/her car needs 5K interval oil changes for optimum performance,while everyone else is offering 10K service intervals, people will desert that brand in droves.

manufacturers tend to push the envelope of the vehicle's tolerances to meet the customer's expectations and demands for a car that costs less to run and maintain.
thats what they are doing when they say a 10K oil change is enough.

the difference between changing the oil every 10 or 5K is small for most of the population, but the difference is big enough to be noticed by people who pay attention to their car's well being.

Old 3rd June 2008, 17:07   #20
rks
BANNED

My Santro manual recommends oil change every 5000 kms when driving conditions are "severe", which includes city driving and idling for long periods (and maybe other situations like cold/dusty weather; need to check manual again). If the car is driven substantially on the highway, the recommended oil change interval is 10000 kms. The local mechanics usually look at the condition of the oil and recommend when it can be used further. But I always change oil and oil filter every 5000 kms.
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

@rippergeo, you are contradicting yourself in the first & third paragraphs. Initially you say that people wont buy a car if it needs oil change at 5K kms (due to the cost involved). And then you say that it does not make much difference to most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo
if one of the manufacturers say that his/her car needs 5K interval oil changes for optimum performance,while everyone else is offering 10K service intervals, people will desert that brand in droves.

the difference between changing the oil every 10 or 5K is small for most of the population, but the difference is big enough to be noticed by people who pay attention to their car's well being.
BTW, Honda prescribes a 5K km oil change. Going by the number of NHCs on the road, looks like it is not really an issue with their customers.

Also, I don't think manufacturers will increase the oil change interval to 10K kms just to please customers or to get more customers. Reasons being :

1. Unless they are sure that this won't damage the engine, they wont just change from 5K kms to 10K kms oil change interval - proper research goes into this.

2. The older Marutis had 5K km intervals and they did sell, didn't they ? So, I dont see any need for MUL to move to 10K intervals to prop up sales. The change happened with the MPFI cars I guess - a Carb M800 has 5K interval, while an MPFI M800 has 10K kms. Not sure what is the connection here though.

Also, how many customers know or ask about oil change intervals when they are checking out cars to buy ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd June 2008 at 17:58.
Old 3rd June 2008, 18:04   #22
rippergeo

Quote:
@rippergeo, you are contradicting yourself in the first & third paragraphs. Initially you say that people wont buy a car if it needs oil change at 5K kms (due to the cost involved). And then you say that it does not make much difference to most people.

BTW, Honda prescribes a 5K km oil change. Going by the number of NHCs on the road, looks like it is not really an issue with their customers.
I'm saying- people will not notice the improvement in the car's performance when you start changing the oil every 5K. but they will notice that they are paying double their neighbours on maintenance

5K services are not going to matter to someone buying a honda. compared to someone buying an 800.

my fault for making a sweeping generalisation.

OTOH,I could argue that the 5K oil change in the honda makes it perform so well that people are buying it in droves(kidding)

I maintain that the auto companies are playing a well thought out balancing act between how much damage an engine can tolerate and how much damage an owner's wallet can take.

Old 3rd June 2008, 18:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Oh OK. Sorry, I mis-read the intended meaning of your 3rd paragraph.

BTW, what is the interval prescribed for your Swift-D and Verna-D ? Just out of curiousity about diesel cars.
Old 3rd June 2008, 18:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Query about time factor for oil change

Hi all

i have a Safari 3.0 L and the oil change interval is 10k kms.

somehow i dont feel very happy about it as i start feeling the coarseness and harshness after 4-5 months.

For example right now it has run 6k kms in last 5 months exactly,so what shall i do ?

the usage is not much.

and its mineral oil that they are putting in so i wanted to ask
  1. Does oil change interval dependent on time also(i feel it should) ?
  2. Please suggest what should be the ideal time for oil change ?
  3. Shall i just change the oil filter and engine oil,anything else ?
Thanks
Old 3rd June 2008, 18:26   #25
rippergeo

Quote:
Oh OK. Sorry, I mis-read the intended meaning of your 3rd paragraph.

BTW, what is the interval prescribed for your Swift-D and Verna-D ? Just out of curiousity about diesel cars.
most diesels now are on 10K service intervals.
but i do the oil and air filter change every 5k

Old 3rd June 2008, 18:34   #26
Team-BHP Support

My Wagon R went in for service last week.
She had done about 9K kms since the last service.

The service advisor then called me up asking if they should proceed with oil change as its good for another 1500 kms.

Car was used on highways for around 2000 of the 9000 kms.
Old 3rd June 2008, 20:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

1. Yes, change as per the Service manual or 1 year, whichever comes first.
2. Same as above
3.Yes, Oil filter change is a must with an engine oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
and its mineral oil that they are putting in so i wanted to ask
  1. Does oil change interval dependent on time also(i feel it should) ?
  2. Please suggest what should be the ideal time for oil change ?
  3. Shall i just change the oil filter and engine oil,anything else ?
Thanks
Old 4th June 2008, 10:57   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Show-off!!!!!!
you are going to make a lot of people jealous with pics like that!

how much does it cost per litre of delvac?
and, just checking- do you change the oil filter every 6000kms too?
Delvac MX or Delo 400 is on average Rs.20L more than regular Castrol CRB. Filters including oil and diesel changed at 6000km or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Last edited by Gurkha : 4th June 2008 at 10:58.
Old 4th June 2008, 11:02   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Wow! Looks like its been scrubbed clean.
Is this your car,gurkha?
The detergents in Delo 400 or Delvac MX keep the internals clean and polished like no other oil, also they suspend soot quite well. My HINO engine on the VFJ Jonga is even more cleaner than the OM616 turbo which you see on the pic. The reason I put the OM616 is because being IDI, it creates way more soot than the DI HINO, a daunting challenge even for the best oils. As can be seen, Delo 400 or Delvac MX do their jobs to a plumb. At only Rs.20 more than CRB or GTX, its makes the best economic sense for your diesel or petrol car. I have seen engines with over million miles running on Delo or Delvac pulled apart for service and the bores still retained their polish amazingly.

BTW: Delo400 gives truckers in US million mile guarantee and a 25000 mile change schedule.
Old 4th June 2008, 11:08   #30
BANNED

Quote:
@rajivanoj, go by your user manual - the manufacturer knows what is best for the cars they make.

Most modern (petrol) cars come with 10000kms oil change instruction. But, if your
Lancer manual says 5000kms, do it at that interval.
Most modern manufacturers assume ideal conditions, do check the manual for severe which is usually the case with most owners. Ideal means long distance highway runs on relatively dust free environments. In our case its short distance frequent stop and start and stop and go driving where the oil hardly gets a chance to burn out the moisture which then starts breaking the oil up and sludge results in the end. Only a UOA can definitively tell one how much life is left in the oil or if the oil has deteriorated and should be changed sooner. Numbers have no bearing on life of oil.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks