Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2008, 20:53   #46
BANNED

I think NHC oil costs Rs 500 & NHC oil filter Rs 90.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
On my 95 Accord V6, I have always changed oil and filter at 5000 miles with Mobil-I, 500,000+ miles and the engine is still going strong. Do yourself a favor, bypass Honda India's advice and change the cheap filter at 5000Km as well, after all a filter costs way less than a new Honda engine
Old 5th June 2008, 13:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gurkha,

> On my 95 Accord V6, I have always changed oil and filter at 5000 miles with
> Mobil-I, 500,000+ miles and the engine is still going strong.

You have referred to miles here. 5000 miles translate to 8000kms.

> Do yourself a favor, bypass Honda India's advice and change the cheap
> filter at 5000Km as well, after all a filter costs way less than a new Honda > engine

I do agree with you that a Honda filter will cost much less than a new Honda engine. But do you feel that with Honda's present service schedule will harm the engine that much? I may have the car for 5 years and it would run about 75000kms. I am sure the engine will last that much with the company recommended oil change schedule.

My grouse is not that they change oil filters at only 10000kms intervals. It is why they they change the oil at 5000kms intervals. I feel it is unnecessary wastage of resources. Unfortunately I have to stick to the schedule for the extremely unlikely event of a warranty issue.

Are there any reports of engine failures in the Indian Honda City series?
Old 5th June 2008, 14:02   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hi diabloo,

> I think NHC oil costs Rs 500 & NHC oil filter Rs 90.

I go my City's 10000km serviced on 23rd March 2008. This is what was billed to me by our dealer Peninsular Honda, Cochin.

08235-99916DA Engine oil 3.7L 657.26
15400-PME-N10 Oil Filter151.54
94109-14000 Washer, Drain, 14mm 18.11

735.03 + VAT 12.5% 91.88 totalling to 826.91 and rounded to 827.

Could you confirm the prices?
Old 5th June 2008, 14:04   #49
BANNED

Nobody has heard anything, even remote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
I will get the latest info.
Quote:
Could you confirm the prices?
Old 5th June 2008, 14:16   #50
BHPian

thanks a ton gurkha. do you recommend that i do it immediately on delivery or wait for the 1st oil change period. also , if you can, tell me where in mumbai can i find a good garage to get it done. i'm sure the tata guys won't hv it!!!
Old 5th June 2008, 16:42   #51
Senior - BHPian

@trrk, while it does seem odd that they do an oil change without changing the filter also (at the 5K km intervals) and also suggest a 5K km oil change (instead of 10K kms like other cars), I think it is best to stick to their recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk
It is why they they change the oil at 5000kms intervals. I feel it is unnecessary wastage of resources.
Exactly my concern too. I feel that any resource (especially petro-products) should not be wasted and used in an optimum way.

If the manufacturer says that the oil is good for 10000kms, I am sure they know what they are talking about. And if we replace the oil at 5000kms instead, the oil is not being fully used, which is a waste.

P.S. : This is just my opinion and those that feel it is better to change oil at 3K or 5K or 7.5K kms are free to do so.
Old 5th June 2008, 20:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

When Manufacturer recommends a change sticking to it is always best. Else you just spend your time and money and pollute the environment further.
Old 5th June 2008, 21:43   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
rippergeo : manufacturers tend to push the envelope of the vehicle's tolerances to meet the customer's expectations and demands for a car that costs less to run and maintain.
Actually, it would be the users who are more likely to push the envelope. For the user, he has to spend money. The manufacturer doesnt have to. The one who receives the money spent by the user is the S.C.
Quote:
supremeBaleno : If the manufacturer says that the oil is good for 10000kms, I am sure they know what they are talking about.
The manufacturers would know what they are talking about. It's best for them if they stick to proven time-lines like 7.5k or 10k. If they have already quoted a higher interval (at the max or beyond), and a user neglects that interval and instead comes much later, the engine will be damaged and will also be less smooth in operation. That particular user would blame the manufacturer / ASC for what was essentially his mistake.

For those of you who feel you want to do the change more often, you have the option of going in for synth's, while sticking to the recommended intervals. Or higher rated engine oils. That way you are still doing more than what was recommended.

For others like me, we'll stick to the recommended intervals with recommended / ASC supplied oil (at the very least). And not neglect what needs to be done. There are enough vehicles with proper (regular & recommended) maintenance that are running strong much beyond normal first hand ownership durations. The Sumo's, the Taveras, Jeeps, busses & trucks ..

Beyond all this, one question I do have is specific to the Sumo. Tata Motors recommends a 7500km interval for the NA engine & a 10k interval for the TCIC. Why would this be ? And the one difference between the two engines is the TCIC.
Old 6th June 2008, 10:43   #54
Senior - BHPian

If you thought 10K kms was a long interval, check out Tata's recommendation for the new 2.2 Safari.

nitrous mentioned that after the 1st oil change at 1000kms, the next one for his Safari is scheduled only at 15000kms.
Old 6th June 2008, 10:51   #55
Senior - BHPian

Correction: In the 2.2l VTT the first oil change is at 15k under normal dirving conditions and 7.5k under severe driving conditions. No Oil change required at first service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
If you thought 10K kms was a long interval, check out Tata's recommendation for the new 2.2 Safari.

nitrous mentioned that after the 1st oil change at 1000kms, the next one for his Safari is scheduled only at 15000kms.
Old 6th June 2008, 12:38   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally View Post
thanks a ton gurkha. do you recommend that i do it immediately on delivery or wait for the 1st oil change period. also , if you can, tell me where in mumbai can i find a good garage to get it done. i'm sure the tata guys won't hv it!!!
Wait for the 1st oil change, I don't live in Mumbai but I am sure there are some real competent indie mechs who would handle your needs for the Tata.
Old 6th June 2008, 12:40   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Gurkha,

> On my 95 Accord V6, I have always changed oil and filter at 5000 miles with
> Mobil-I, 500,000+ miles and the engine is still going strong.

You have referred to miles here. 5000 miles translate to 8000kms.

> Do yourself a favor, bypass Honda India's advice and change the cheap
> filter at 5000Km as well, after all a filter costs way less than a new Honda > engine

I do agree with you that a Honda filter will cost much less than a new Honda engine. But do you feel that with Honda's present service schedule will harm the engine that much? I may have the car for 5 years and it would run about 75000kms. I am sure the engine will last that much with the company recommended oil change schedule.

My grouse is not that they change oil filters at only 10000kms intervals. It is why they they change the oil at 5000kms intervals. I feel it is unnecessary wastage of resources. Unfortunately I have to stick to the schedule for the extremely unlikely event of a warranty issue.

Keeping the engine clean is engine's life, Honda engines tend to last the longest if that factor is kept as in my case where I have over 500,000+ miles on my original engine, so if a Rs.90 filter keeps your engine clean, its well worth the insurance in my opinion.
Old 7th June 2008, 13:18   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hi Biju,

> @trrk, while it does seem odd that they do an oil change without changing > the filter also (at the 5K km intervals)

I am sticking to their schedule as of now and will do so until the car is in warranty (unfortunately with the extended warranty it is 4 years).

Moreover, they call in to remind about the serivce based on the time frame and so cannot escape also.

> Exactly my concern too. I feel that any resource (especially
> petro-products) should not be wasted and used in an optimum way.

The 5000kms oil change in my opinion is only to make the service centre and the oil company more money. If this short interval change is going to makie the engine live longer, I am sure oilc hange every 1000kms will work wonders.

And in my take, it is a waste of precious resources!
trrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2008, 14:11   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 5000kms oil change in my opinion is only to make the service centre and the oil company more money.
And in my take, it is a waste of precious resources!
You are quite right in your thinking. There is no justifiable reason to simply 'chuck away' oils on time period alone. The degree of 'contamination' and loss of properties ought to be assessed.
This is just a money making racket perpetrated by the so-called oil majors who ALL have an amazing declaration of company policy wrt being environment friendly!
The ONLY thing that is mind-boggling is the hypocrisy!
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2008, 15:30   #60
Senior - BHPian

There is this motoring-tips (c/o MyTvs) on one of the FM channels here, and yesterday's tip was
"For keeping your car/engine in best condition, change oil every 3 months".

Why wait for 3 months ? Why not change it every month or maybe every fortnight ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks