Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:49   #1
BHPian

Water to Decarbon Engine

Mod Note : Please continue the discussion in our Engine Decarbonisation Article. Thanks

Hi guys
read it on some forums & (automotivehelper), water used to decarbon engines. has been done on carbed motorcycles / cars.

Found to be very effective in Carb Engines although the exact amount required to do, the duration, to be done is not specified.

I AM NOT GOING TO EVEN TRY TO DO IT but wanted to have more info if this kind of method exists and if it does has any one done it and also some more info on this method will help.

MODS: i searched the forum and did not get any info if there is any threads pls let me know and close thread.

Last edited by GTO : 13th March 2013 at 11:59.
Old 2nd June 2008, 15:00   #2
BHPian

I am not sure about the use of water to de carb engine but have noticed mechanics at Fiat workshops washing disassembelled engines rather than using petrol or other cleaning agents.
Old 2nd June 2008, 21:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post
...have noticed mechanics at Fiat workshops washing disassembelled engines....
Are you sure it wasnt kerosene they were using? (usually 2 large buckets full that they dip the parts in in some workshops)

cya
R
Old 2nd June 2008, 22:22   #4
BHPian

i have seen exhaust cleaning of diesel cars with water in which they spray water through it never heard of engine.

is it by any chance hot tanking?.

Last edited by pawan : 2nd June 2008 at 22:27.
Old 3rd June 2008, 05:50   #5
BANNED

Unless you are fond of getting a brand new engine, don't play this dangerous game which requires years of experience and dexterity. From serious top end damage to bent valves and blown head gaskets can result if proper procedure is not followed.

Apart from professional carbon cleaning done by a machine, there are other ways to achieve moderately good results. Using Regane from Gumout gets good results. Drop one bottle in a tankful and go for a long drive in the hills with frequent Italian tune ups. You will get a relatively carbon free car unless there was lots of carbon build up to start with. Make sure your valve clearances are done and your vehicle is in generally healthy state before you proceed with Italian tune up.

Last edited by Gurkha : 3rd June 2008 at 05:55.
Old 3rd June 2008, 09:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Are you sure it wasnt kerosene they were using? (usually 2 large buckets full that they dip the parts in in some workshops)

I went to the service station to double check and was informed that the engine is cleaned with petrol/diesel initially to get rid of sludge and then pressure (mild pressure) washed. before assembling a thorough compressed air treatment is given to all the parts of the engine
Old 3rd June 2008, 10:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure about the use of water to de carb engine but have noticed mechanics at Fiat workshops washing disassembelled engines rather than using petrol or other cleaning agents.
As long as before re-assembly engine is dry and clean it won't make a difference

On another note putting sand in your engine is not a good idea either
Hey guys, please help with my mods gone wrong.....
Old 3rd June 2008, 10:17   #8
BHPian

They do that with soapy water Before assembly of engines inside the factory to get rid of metals chps and all formed in cutting the parts.
Old 3rd June 2008, 12:07   #9
BHPian

Hi Jr.Godzilla, have read about this technique in some old English automotive book. if I remember correct, a spoonful of water is slowly dribbled into the intake of the carburettor while the engine's revved hard. Apparently the water explodes into steam during combustion, loosening the carbon deposits.

As mentioned in earlier posts, such "techniques" are best left to very experienced folks.
Old 3rd June 2008, 12:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

What is an Italian tune-up? Pardon my ignorance, but hearing it for the first time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
proceed with Italian tune up.
Old 3rd June 2008, 13:14   #11
BHPian

Hi GD, I think an Italian tune-up is where you rev your engine hard for prolonged periods of time (basically take the car out for a really spirited drive) - the consistently high temperatures are supposed to burn/blow away any deposits you might have !

I wish all car problems had such simple solutions !
Old 3rd June 2008, 13:55   #12
BANNED

Italian tune up along with a bottle of good fuel additive like Gumout's Regane in the tank works wonders for cars clogged up with carbon. Years back I used to work for a very fancy European car garage in Long Island NY, most rich guys who would pull up with their Ferraris and Porsche would complain of sluggish running vehicles. Now these guys never get the chance to use the engines as they are designed for leading to regular carbon build up. All we did was put our radar detectors on, find an empty spot in LIE or elsewhere and rev the engine all the way to the redline gradually without flogging. Most engines would smooth out within half an hour of this procedure. We charged em a good amount for this job and little did they know the real cause of their problems.

No, an Italian tune up wont' cure your engine if it has low compression, but a carbon deposited ring land area can be cleaned up in most cases leading to better compression.
Old 4th June 2008, 11:37   #13
BHPian

ok after a lot of googling I got the info on how its done below link is self explanatory but the video links dont work. Will THINK of giving it a try only when I feel its losing compression, misfiring, etc, etc, etc, etc, cause i really dont have the guts to do it on a working engine.

Water Cylinder Decarbonizing... Should I? - Automotive Forums .com Car Chat

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 4th June 2008 at 11:39.
Old 5th June 2008, 11:52   #14
BHPian

GURKHA
wanted to know as regards to this Italian tune up which you have explained if there could be another way to do this.

I too have a feeling that I am building up Carbon deposits as the roads that I am on (bahrain) do not permit speeds in excess of 100kmph and i am usually in top gear with just a small portion of the throttle being used.

So was thinking if i floor it redline it rather in 1st 2nd 3rd for say 10 or 15 or 20kms will this help in clearing deposits.
Old 5th June 2008, 11:58   #15
Team-BHP Support

I do Italian tuneups at red lights in neutral whenever there are lots of bikers honking at me to jump the red lights.

PS: I have an indica diesel
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks