Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2015, 11:29   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: What was the average life of your car's brake pads?

The Swift' Odo is at 51000 and still running the stock brake pads. I was urging MASS to get it changed during the 50K service and they kept reassuring me that its all good.

There is no noise on braking though. But it could really do with a some more feel. And I have never had any brake dust on the wheels. Confirms the hunch that MSIL uses really hard brake pads.
Old 6th January 2015, 12:49   #197
BHPian

56k+ on the Manza and going strong. No loss in braking or similar issues.
Old 6th January 2015, 14:23   #198
BANNED

My Santro AT used to go through its pads in under 25,000km. I am told my MT owners they got similar numbers.
Old 6th January 2015, 14:50   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The Swift' Odo is at 51000 and still running the stock brake pads. I was urging MASS to get it changed during the 50K service and they kept reassuring me that its all good.
51k on a set of brake pads shows very careful driving. Kudos to that!

I am currently on 40,500km on my set of stock pads for the Swift. Was thinking of changing them at around 45k since I travel a lot on the Mumbai-Pune expressway but your post has given me some confidence to carry on further.
Old 6th January 2015, 14:55   #200

To experts I have a question
Does the life of the break-pads in ABS equipped cars more than its respective non ABS versions ?
Old 6th January 2015, 15:32   #201
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potenza View Post

I am currently on 40,500km on my set of stock pads for the Swift. Was thinking of changing them at around 45k since I travel a lot on the Mumbai-Pune expressway but your post has given me some confidence to carry on further.
My car is on stock pads as well with odo at 33K. Let's see how long they survive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aromal View Post
Does the life of the break-pads in ABS equipped cars more than its respective non ABS versions ?
It boils down to the driving style and braking style - like late braking, travelling in more of B2B traffic will all influence life of pads.
Old 8th January 2015, 13:50   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
My car is on stock pads as well with odo at 33K. Let's see how long they survive! It boils down to the driving style and braking style - like late braking, travelling in more of B2B traffic will all influence life of pads.
I've lost all bite on my Grand i10, pedal feels really mushy and spongy most of the times. I'm guessing brakes need to bled for air in the lines to be removed?

Also, the strong bite that used to be there is almost non-existent - I'm guessing the brake pads might be up in just 9k in my car, admittedly late and hard-braking more than the usual amount.

Note from Support - Please use the Multi-Quote feature while replying to multiple posts, instead of submitting back to back posts. See this thread for more information. Duplicate post has been deleted.

Last edited by n_aditya : 8th January 2015 at 14:23. Reason: Posts merged and duplicate post deleted
Old 8th January 2015, 13:57   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
I've lost all bite on my Grand i10, pedal feels really mushy and spongy most of the times. I'm guessing brakes need to bled for air in the lines to be removed?

Also, the strong bite that used to be there is almost non-existent - I'm guessing the brake pads might be up in just 9k in my car, admittedly late and hard-braking more than the usual amount.
Old 8th January 2015, 13:59   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
10K is very early even with heavy braking most of the times. Check for master cylinder and get the brakes bled.
Thank You - Even I was thinking that <9k is way too less a time frame, even for as heavy braking as possible. My second service is due in less than 1000 Kms, so I'll definitely get the brake lines bled.
Old 8th January 2015, 14:38   #205
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post

10K is too early for brakes to feel 'non-existent unless one droves like the car is on fire.

The mushy and spongy feel that you ate noticing could be due to air inside the brake lines. Get the system bled and check how the feel is.

Check for leaks if any.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 12:39   #206
BHPian

Just a small question. How does bled help in increasing the life of brakes? Ritz comes with Hydraulic brakes as well as clutch is hydraulic. Does both use the same oil?

My brake pads lasted for only 5K kms and the service person asked me to change the discs. Discs were phased twice due to wear and they are insisting to replace the discs now. Also I can feel that clutch is being hard and I feel leg pain after driving for about an hour in usual Bangalore traffic.
Old 4th March 2015, 12:47   #207
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
Just a small question. How does bled help in increasing the life of brakes?
Brake bleeding increases the braking effectiveness. What it does is removes any entrapped air bubbles in the brake lines eliminating the spongy feel observed when one brakes.

One tends to push the lever harder to get the car to a halt.

Quote:
My brake pads lasted for only 5K kms and the service person asked me to change the discs. Discs were phased twice due to wear and they are insisting to replace the discs now.
5K kms only?!

Looks like some manufacturing defect IMO as 5K is too low a mileage for the brake pads to go bust.

Either the fitting wasn't done correctly or some issues with the pads itself. Do the disc plates have heavy scratches/concentric circles on them?
Old 4th March 2015, 12:56   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Either the fitting wasn't done correctly or some issues with the pads itself. Do the disc plates have heavy scratches/concentric circles on them?
Yes it had heavy concentric circles. The main cause could be that I was driving on a highway, the pads were almost worn out. There was also an audible noise when I was applying brakes. The mistake what I made was I drove almost 800 Kms in the same condition.

Last edited by meetbadri : 4th March 2015 at 12:57.
Old 4th March 2015, 13:03   #209
BANNED

Quote:

Yes it had heavy concentric circles. The main cause could be that I was driving on a highway, the pads were almost worn out. There was also an audible noise when I was applying brakes. The mistake what I made was I drove almost 800 Kms in the same condition.
Heavy concentric circles means the pads are worn out more than the allowed limits scoring the discs.

The sound that you hear is metal-to-metal rubbing when brakes are applied.

What I suggest you is to get the pads and discs changed at a time. I know it'll cost more $$$ but better for a peace of mind.

What does ASC have to say for 5K kms life of the pads? I am pretty sure the pads were improper in the first place damaging the discs.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 13:06   #210
BHPian

Quote:
What does ASC have to say for 5K kms life of the pads? I am pretty sure the pads were improper in the first place damaging the discs.
They are saying that it all depends upon the driving style and within the city life is lesser. I have told them to replace the disks also. In the mean time should I also ask them bleed the brakes and clutch?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks