Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2015, 14:30   #241
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKM View Post
upon inspection found that the right disc & brake pad were totally damaged other discs fine, rear brake pads were a little worn out. so they changed the front discs and all four brake pads and for good measure the sensor cable was changed too.
Check the piston on the right wheel if it is retracting fully after you release the brake pedal.

I guess the piston has become 'Sticky'. May be the pads were always in contact with the discs frying both away due to heat generated.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 15:23   #242
BHPian

re: What was the average life of your car's brake pads?

I guess the average life of discs and the pads depends upon the driving habits and the traffic conditions to which the vehicle is being subjected to. Some drivers have a habit to drive faster than the speeds, which the traffic conditions permit, resulting in more frequent and hard braking. Whereas those who drive at constant speed, with soft braking, will ensure longer disc and disc pad life.

Also vehicle which is mostly driven in a metropolis with start stop, bumper to bumper heavy traffic conditions will need the replacements at a frequent level than a vehicle which is being used in light traffic conditions.

Have a Maruti-800 Std (2001 model) which has clocked 146,000 kms but still haven't changed the front brake discs, although the disc brake pads have been changed twice. The vehicle has been mostly driven in Chandigarh, which has amongst the best traffic and road conditions in the country.
Old 12th August 2015, 16:33   #243
BHPian

I have changed the brake pads twice, once at 52400 kms and next at 68800kms. I purchased the second set from the open market which were spurious. Currently my Waggie has done 127k kms. Will Move to Rane Disc pads at the next service. Discs still stock.
Old 12th August 2015, 19:37   #244
Senior - BHPian

At 80,000kms, still on the stock disk-brake pads on my Baleno. Mostly rely on engine braking than the brakes themselves, which might explain the life.
Funny though that MASS suggested I replace them at 30K kms.

Recently have been finding the brakes to be spongy - so plan to change the pads.
Old 12th August 2015, 19:51   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Recently have been finding the brakes to be spongy - so plan to change the pads.
Please check the thickness of the brake pads before deciding to change them. Since the Baleno pads must be SGP, I am sure they are of excellent quality, and expensive too. I remember seeing a first-gen Qualis getting its first brake pad change at 1,35,000 km. So, if taken care, good quality pads can last a long time.

Spongy brakes may be cured by a proper bleeding of the brake system, topping up the brake fluid or even changing other components such as caliper oil seals etc which may have perished. My two cents.
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 20:16   #246
BHPian

Changed my Indica Vista's disc pads at 60k kms. Was done at the TATA service center and the replacement ones were OEM. The discs are the same stock ones that came with the car.
The car has done about 78k kms now and the brakes are still good.
Old 12th August 2015, 20:21   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
At 80,000kms, still on the stock disk-brake pads on my Baleno. Mostly rely on engine braking than the brakes themselves, which might explain the life.
Funny though that MASS suggested I replace them at 30K kms.

At 62,000 kms My Ertiga is also on Stock Pads and exactly like you mentioned the folks at the ASC thought I must be on the 2nd or 3rd set as most Ertiga owners change pads at 30K due to the life (& Heavier Diesel engine weight in front than Petrol counterparts).

However, since equal percentage of my clocking is on highways, the wear is slower. This was the same case with the WagonR as well.

I generously use engine braking wherever needed (unlike a Petrol car though).
Old 19th August 2015, 16:48   #248
VKM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Check the piston on the right wheel if it is retracting fully after you release the brake pedal.

I guess the piston has become 'Sticky'. May be the pads were always in contact with the discs frying both away due to heat generated.
Checked the piston, no problems. what could be other reasons for this, the service adviser told it could have been due to stone/gravel getting caught in between in which case it is bad luck and nothing can be done, any other reasons?
Old 2nd August 2016, 17:07   #249
BHPian

Took my polo petrol which has clocked 77k kms for change of brake pads. Upon inspection it was found that the discs also need to be changed. They measured the disc thickness, it was 19mm on both sides.

I need to ensure that does 19mm thickness of the discs actually warrant change? I feel the braking to be absolutely fine even now when the current set of brake pads are almost gone (won't last more than 300-400 kms)

This will be my second set of brake pads, the original set was replaced at around 36k kms and the discs were not changed at that time.

Kindly advise.

Thankyou
Old 2nd August 2016, 19:13   #250
Team-BHP Support

Replaced the first set of brake pads on my Polo GT during the 75k service. The pads still had some life left but didn't want to take a risk as the braking performance had reduced. Still on the stock discs though.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 20:31   #251
BHPian

That speaks volumes about your style of driving.
From whatever little I have been able to gather from across the web, I have come to a conclusion that the discs are usually good enough for 2 sets of brake pads although there are several people who had to get their discs changed with the first set of brake pads and that too at 20-25k kms, so it largely depends upon the driving style and conditions.

I have been provided an estimate of ~9.5k for the replacement of brake pads and discs. Are there any after market options that can be considered?
Old 17th August 2016, 17:53   #252
BHPian

I am getting 35K service for my swift. SE said break pads will last for another 100 KMS. MGA pads cost 1500/- + labor charges. I would like to get a second opinion on that. Seeing good reviews on Bosch. What is the best place to get them in Bangalore including fitting. Also anyone who upgraded to brembo pads recently please share cost and opinion.
Old 17th August 2016, 17:58   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
I am getting 35K service for my swift. SE said break pads will last for another 100 KMS. MGA pads cost 1500/- + labor charges. I would like to get a second opinion on that. Seeing good reviews on Bosch. What is the best place to get them in Bangalore including fitting. Also anyone who upgraded to brembo pads recently please share cost and opinion.
In my WagonR, I have tried these Bosch Pads and was never happy with the performance that I rate it as below average.

The vehicle here has done 230,000 kms and has seen the pads change thrice in so far and only once I had installed these Bosh Pads and replaced them back after using for 800 kms.

The major missing element here was the right bite and the brakes felt spongy despite of a proper brake fluid bleeding job. Settled with MGP OE TVS Girling Pads after that.

Of course, this is purely my personal opinion based on the fact that I was the only one driving the same car.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 18:04   #254
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Of course, this is purely my personal opinion based on the fact that I was the only one driving the same car.
Other than TVS Girling is Rane supplied pads labelled as MGP for WagonR?

All the times I have enquired for brake pads at 3 MGP stockists, all had Rane and no TVS.
Old 17th August 2016, 18:19   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Other than TVS Girling is Rane supplied pads labelled as MGP for WagonR?
Very much as Rane is also MGP.

Quote:
All the times I have enquired for brake pads at 3 MGP stockists, all had Rane and no TVS.
Blame that on the supply. Not just with pads, Its difficult to get NGK Plugs as they have stock of the Champion Equivalent or CeeKay Brand clutch when you want VALEO. Happens many times but so far, whenever I have opened the cover and read the engraved name on the pads, they have been TVS Girling.

Most Viewed