Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2016, 15:03   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: What was the average life of your car's brake pads?

Changed my Duster 85's brake pads at 21k. Is this normal? Mine is mostly city drive with the occasional long highway drive. The car is about two and a half years old.
Old 4th October 2016, 11:28   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssambyal1980
I guess the average life of discs and the pads depends upon the driving habits and the traffic conditions to which the vehicle is being subjected to.
True. Ruling out bad quality pads, the major factors are indeed how one drives and the conditions in which one drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju
Please check the thickness of the brake pads before deciding to change them. Since the Baleno pads must be SGP, I am sure they are of excellent quality, and expensive too.
Yes, will be checking the pads before changing them. Actually I have a set of replacement pads with me that were bought couple years ago, when I observed a noise while braking and wrongly assumed it to be due to worn out disc-pads (was actually an issue with the rear brake shoes).
Old 4th October 2016, 12:11   #258
Senior - BHPian

I changed the brake-pads of my Punto at 42K - it was a voluntary change and there was still some life left, but I didn't want to keep checking it every month or so, to see if they needed to be changed.

The brake pads costs 3600 INR and labor is 550 INR.

--Anoop

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th May 2017 at 08:30. Reason: typo
Old 4th October 2016, 12:51   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Changed my Duster 85's brake pads at 21k. Is this normal? Mine is mostly city drive with the occasional long highway drive. The car is about two and a half years old.
That sounds quite less with regular driving. Did you check the thickness of the old pads ? I've seen that SAs recommend changing the pads even when there's enough life left to achieve their monthly targets.

I was once asked to changed the pads on my Punto at 15K . I refused and the pads worked fine till 35K.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 4th October 2016 at 12:54.
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 13:06   #260
BHPian

I am driving a 2011 diesel Toyota Liva and still on stock brake pads after 67k kilometers. Last 2-3 services I have been asking the workshop to inspect the brake pads expecting it to require replacement. Ninety percent of my driving is on Delhi roads and the rest on highways.
Old 4th October 2016, 13:12   #261
BHPian

The brake pads in my Vista were changed at the 60 k mark. The car is now at 110k kms mark and the same pads are being used.
21k for brake pad replacement in my opinion is way too low.
Old 4th October 2016, 14:02   #262
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Changed my Duster 85's brake pads at 21k. Is this normal?.
Changed the brake pads in my Swift ZDi at 60,000 kms under precautionary measure. It could have run another 5,000 kms.

I had a internal target of 70K kms.

Seeing the odometer clicks at which your cars pads were changed is alarming. Something is fishy.

Were you present at the ASC during pads change? I don't believe the guys at ASC when they say old parts were handed-over to the customer post service. How does the customer know if the old parts were from his car or someone else's!?!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 15:26   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Did you check the thickness of the old pads ? I've seen that SAs recommend changing the pads even when there's enough life left to achieve their monthly targets.
Even I thought it was quite less. No I did not check the old pads because there is just one authorised service station in Calcutta and it is in the back end of beyond. One not only needs to take a casual leave from work to go there, it is also a matter of Rs 500 taxi fare (if you get one) to come back followed by another CL and another 500 to go and fetch the car back the next day. Add to this that they will make you wait the whole day to let you see the pads.

So I took the easier option and sent the vehicle back to them through their valet service. They had told me about this worn out pad after the car went their for a paid service a few weeks ago. After their advice I drove it for 2k without a problem. But of late the brake was acting a little soft and a big road trip is coming up. So I didn't take a chance.

Even I thought they were possibly taking me for a ride. Of course they sent back the old pads that were replaced. But I am not experienced enough to judge from that.
Old 4th October 2016, 16:34   #264
BHPian

Changed all 4 brake pads (front and rear) on the Altis. Considering how expensive Toyota sells brake pads I decided to try out something different. Got in touch with United Motors, Chennai who's the official dealer of Brembo in India. Ordered the complete set from him. Superb service and delivered in under 24 hours.

Costing:
Front pads - 4500
Rear pads - 3500
Shipping - 280
Labor - 1000

Difference is evident, which is obvious considering all 4 pads have been changed. I will let the car run at least 1000 odd kms before I comment on the quality and performance.

But overall, highly recommended considering OEM pads ain't cheap these days and at a respectable price you get original Brembo pads. I am a happy customer for sure!
Old 4th October 2016, 17:35   #265
Senior - BHPian

Cedia: Front pads changed once at 45,000 kms. Car had on its odo 87,000 kms when sold with pads in good condition.
Rotor skimmed at 45,000 and 80,000 kms.
Rear pads changed once at 70,000 kms. Rotor skimmed once at 70,000 kms. In good condition when sold.
With our road conditions, scoring on rotor is unavoidable and skimming definitely improves life of pads as well as ensures safe braking.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 4th October 2016 at 17:39.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 17:51   #266
Senior - BHPian

my colleage is being forced by different Honda ASC's to replace the brake pads for his honda amaze every service (6K kms or so). He runs mostly on the highway, and is a bit shocked by such frequent replacements ( he suspected the service centre, but even a different one is telling him the same thing)

searching in tbhp brings up similar results from other amaze cvt and diesel owners having to change their pads every 8-12K or so.

Is this normal? my indica brake pads have been changed only 2-3 times in its 90K km life
Old 5th October 2016, 00:03   #267
BHPian

The front disc brake pads in my Micra has been replaced 4 times in 84000 kms. The pads need to be changed almost every 20k.

Once I refused to get it changed at that interval and after 2-3k, suddenly the brake started making a metal clinging noise one day. Took the car to the service centre next day and they told us that the brake pads had worn out so much, the brake disc got damaged.

I'm planning to switch over to Bosch/TVS Girling pads the next time and see if there is any improvement.
Old 6th October 2016, 08:14   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I was once asked to changed the pads on my Punto at 15K . I refused and the pads worked fine till 35K.
Yes, FASS always pushes for a brake pad change at 15K. Even I have refused after a visual inspection and got a life of 27K once and 39K once. Its always better to do a visual inspection rather than going with the SAs word.
Old 6th October 2016, 08:49   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Changed all 4 brake pads (front and rear) on the Altis. Considering how expensive Toyota sells brake pads I decided to try out something different. Got in touch with United Motors, Chennai who's the official dealer of Brembo in India. Ordered the complete set from him. Superb service and delivered in under 24 hours.

Costing:
Front pads - 4500
Rear pads - 3500
Shipping - 280
Labor - 1000

Difference is evident, which is obvious considering all 4 pads have been changed. I will let the car run at least 1000 odd kms before I comment on the quality and performance.

But overall, highly recommended considering OEM pads ain't cheap these days and at a respectable price you get original Brembo pads. I am a happy customer for sure!
how much did Toyota quote ?
Old 6th October 2016, 11:46   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
how much did Toyota quote ?
Toyota quotes approx 8k for rear brake pads excluding labor charges. OEM Toyota pads are made by Bosch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks