Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2018, 09:40   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What was the average life of your car's brake pads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
..found out that one pad from one of the wheels had hardly 1 mm material left.
Don't the M800 pads have wear indicators? 1-3 mm is the minimum before the screeching 'alarm' goes off.

Uneven pad wear is the result of sticking caliper pins. These need to be cleaned lubed every few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Usually the mechanic can tell how good (or bad) the pads are, by visual inspection even without removing the wheel.
I'd reckon he can check only 1 of the pads, not both, without removing the wheel. The inner pad is normally not visible and is the one that one that needs monitoring. Hence the brake wear indicator is fitted to it.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 10:56   #317
BHPian

Front Brake pads on my i20 CRDI replaced at 70K Km, though I could use it another 5K, I dont want to compromise with brakes Rear pads still have life in those.
Old 9th October 2018, 12:20   #318
BHPian

Considering the driving dynamics is same for each vehicle. Since the life of pads were different for different cars, let me list in all down separately,

1. Honda City i-Vtec S-MT 2011 - In about a lakh kms, all my brake pads lasted about 8-9K kms. I was always frustrated with this and kept bugging the Honda dealership about it but there was no solution. Discs were changed at every second brake pad replacement.

2. Skoda Fabia 2013 Ambition 1.2 Mpi MT - Really happy with this car since the brake pads last about 20K kms. Discs changed at alternate brake pad replacements.

3. Ford Fiesta 1.6 DuraTec MT 2009- Brake pads lasted about 18K kms for each set. Discs changed at alternate brake pad replacements.

4 Ford Figo Titanium 1.5 Tdci MT 2016 - Considering I have been winning AutoCross events and doing track days as well with stock pads and rotors and Wider tires, Brake pads last about 20K kms with discs changed alternately. This goes a huge way in showing how amazing Ford is in terms of its quality considering the Figo is the entry level car in thier Indian portfolio.

Last edited by bhphog : 9th October 2018 at 12:24.
bhphog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 13:09   #319
BHPian

1. Honda Brio (MY2012 - Manual): OEM changed at 35K KMs approximately and the replacements were changed in the next 12K KMs.
2. Mazda 3 (MY2015 - 2.0 Auto): 70k Kms and still going. (12mm when new, all the pads are around 6-7mm now)
Old 9th October 2018, 13:36   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog
1. Honda City - all my brake pads lasted about 8-9K kms. Discs were changed at every second brake pad replacement.
2. Skoda Fabia - the brake pads last about 20K kms. Discs changed at alternate brake pad replacements.
3. Ford Fiesta - Brake pads lasted about 18K kms. Discs changed at alternate brake pad replacements.
4 Ford Figo Titanium - Brake pads last about 20K kms with discs changed alternately.
Your usage (or actually the unusually fast wear of the brake-shoes and disc-pads) across such a wide range of cars/brands, seems to indicate something about the driving characteristic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog
This goes a huge way in showing how amazing Ford is in terms of its quality considering the Figo is the entry level car in thier Indian portfolio.
If you see the posts in this thread, for most users, brake pads easily last 30-40K kms, if not more. So, am not sure whats the big deal about Figo brake pads lasting 20K kms.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 18:43   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Your usage (or actually the unusually fast wear of the brake-shoes and disc-pads) across such a wide range of cars/brands, seems to indicate something about the driving characteristic.
Yeah, it does indicate that I tend to use the brake more often, the thing designed to stop cars. It also indicates that I drive enthusiastically.

I, honestly, didn't get the point you wanted to make. Do explain.

Quote:
If you see the posts in this thread, for most users, brake pads easily last 30-40K kms, if not more. So, am not sure whats the big deal about Figo brake pads lasting 20K kms.
Had you read this post with a little bit more focus, you'd realize that I mentioned that I take part in AutoCross events and Track days, by which I meant to imply that Brake pads are more used more intensely than 'most users'.
Cars like the Baleno RS, with 4 disc brakes can't keep up with the only front disc brake'd Figo.
I'd say, that says a lot about Ford and Maruti too.
Old 14th October 2018, 00:41   #322
Senior - BHPian

The front brake pads lasted about 83000 kms on the GV. One of the pads just gave way all of a sudden, front left outer pad, while others still had some life to it. Strangely though there was no warning before that one pad just gave way to the metal holder.
On the Indigo Marina they last for about 45000 Kms or so.
Old 14th October 2018, 10:32   #323
Senior - BHPian

I have kept a record of all work done on my cars till date.
In my first car Tata Estate I changed pads at 50,000, 1,00,000 and 1,50,000 kms.
Each time there was about 3 to 4mm ining left.
My second car Esteem never gave brake pad life. A new set was required every 20,000.
Then came the Indica at about 65000 km I replaced tyres, struts, brake pads tie rods etc. Same was done at 1,30,000km. After that the car was handed over to staff and we continued the same frequency of 65000km for all brake suspension and tyres etc till the car was sold with 3,24,000 km.
After that came an Indigo where brake pads were changed at 60,000 and 120,000, but as the car attracted lot of other maintenance it was sold within 2 years.
Then came Tavera where pads were changed at 80,000 and replacement lasted till 1,70,000 when the car was sold. Then Innova where everything lasted till the owner got bored. At 1 Lakh km I replaced both brake pads and tyres, both were not worn out, but I had lot of business trips planned, and was expecting to do about 30,000 km in the next two months.
We also had a WagonR but as it was used by everyone at home, and did not run much records were not kept, but as far as I remember mainteinance needed was quiet high.
Then came Polo in 2012 and Ecosport AT in 2014. Polo had a major accident in 2017 and was totalled. I had run 79,000 km and pads were original, they had worn down to 8 mm from new 14mm when checked during 75,000 service. Ecosport at 30,000 is still on stock pads. Last came a pre used Terrano which had run 27000km. I replaced pads at 30,000 km, and front suspension at 45,000km as there was some amount of abuse on pads and suspension.

Rahul
Old 19th October 2018, 14:56   #324
BHPian

The stock pads on my VW Polo TDI pads was changed a while back done around 34k kms. Not bad afterall for a heavy foot driving. The person who replaced it is a service advisor of VW, previously working as a mechanic at Mahindra.

According to him, the stock pads had a few thousand kms left on it but didn't take a chance.
Old 19th October 2018, 19:59   #325
BHPian

Hello to everyone. I have a 2014 Verna which has run for 64000 kms and is still on stock brake pads. During the last service the service executive advised against changing the pads saying they were still good but i wasnt convinced so took these pictures during the wheel alignment and balancing. Kindly advise after taking a look at the pictures as to the condition of the brake pads as i feel the bite has reduced since some time
Attached Thumbnails
What was the average life of your car's brake pads?-img_20181004_161609.jpg  

What was the average life of your car's brake pads?-img_20181004_161642.jpg  

Old 19th October 2018, 21:08   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
Kindly advise after taking a look at the pictures as to the condition of the brake pads as i feel the bite has reduced since some time
The pad and rotor look OK with about 6-8 mm left. Very good for a car that's done 64K kms. How long will they last? Difficult to say because it generally depends on your driving style. Also, sometimes you need to check the pad and rotor surface on the rear (caliper piston) side to ascertain wear. This part generally wears out faster than the outer one. These parts may need a clean up to remove any dust, grit and other substances that build up over time. I'd suggest you get the brakes serviced and have caliper pins lubed without having the parts replaced for now.
Old 19th October 2018, 21:30   #327
Senior - BHPian

My Vento (DSG) brake pads + discs lasted a little above 50,000 kms. And the service advisor encouraged me to use them for additional 8-10k more, however the deteriorating bite forced me to replace them.
I would think this was a decent run given the auto tranny, made possible mostly due to my preference for cruising to the extent possible.
Old 20th October 2018, 20:07   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The pad and rotor look OK with about 6-8 mm left. Very good for a car that's done 64K kms. How long will they last? Difficult to say because it generally depends on your driving style. Also, sometimes you need to check the pad and rotor surface on the rear (caliper piston) side to ascertain wear. This part generally wears out faster than the outer one. These parts may need a clean up to remove any dust, grit and other substances that build up over time. I'd suggest you get the brakes serviced and have caliper pins lubed without having the parts replaced for now.

Thank you. I use the brakes judiciously and instead use a lot of engine braking, plus the car also does a lot of highway drives so I guess all those factors come into play.
As a matter of fact i have always denied getting my brakes cleaned and 'overhauled'(as the service centre guys say) as i believe disc brakes are inherently self cleaning but now after so many kms i believe i should get them serviced once as you say.
Old 20th October 2018, 20:16   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
Thank you. I use the brakes judiciously and instead use a lot of engine braking, plus the car also does a lot of highway drives so I guess all those factors come into play.
You obviously have good driving habits. The long lasting brakes are a testament to it.

Quote:
As a matter of fact i have always denied getting my brakes cleaned and 'overhauled'(as the service centre guys say) as i believe disc brakes are inherently self cleaning but now after so many kms i believe i should get them serviced once as you say.
Disc brakes are self cleaning compared to drums because they are open and exposed to the elements which helps to get rid of any muck stuck to the parts. However some dust and grit can get embedded in the pads and can score the rotors over time. Plus the braking forces and high temperatures during braking operations can cause some parts to wear out unevenly especially the part that we cannot easily see i.e. the inward pad and face of the rotor.

That's why it is important to have these inspected or serviced at least once every 2 years or about 20K kms whichever is first. And after 64K kms a service is definitely due if nothing but for an inspection and if required re-lubing the caliper pins. The brake system is critical for safety. Make sure you are following any maintenance scheduled prescribed by Hyundai.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 22:12   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
You obviously have good driving habits. The long lasting brakes are a testament to it.

Disc brakes are self cleaning compared to drums because they are open and exposed to the elements which helps to get rid of any muck stuck to the parts. However some dust and grit can get embedded in the pads and can score the rotors over time. Plus the braking forces and high temperatures during braking operations can cause some parts to wear out unevenly especially the part that we cannot easily see i.e. the inward pad and face of the rotor.

That's why it is important to have these inspected or serviced at least once every 2 years or about 20K kms whichever is first. And after 64K kms a service is definitely due if nothing but for an inspection and if required re-lubing the caliper pins. The brake system is critical for safety. Make sure you are following any maintenance scheduled prescribed by Hyundai.
Thank you for the insights. Yes as you pointed out i should get them thoroughly checked especially after the mileage the car has clocked. Also i feel the braking seems to be kind of weak now so thats all the more reason to get everything inspected.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks