Team-BHP - What was the average life of your car's brake pads?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   What was the average life of your car's brake pads? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/40503-what-average-life-your-cars-brake-pads.html)

Guys,

Both front disc brake pads failed on my Palio Stile SLX after just 13500 kms. Is this normal? What is the average life of these pads?

Details and photo here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post851565

Cheers,

Rajan

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyBoy (Post 851596)
Guys,

Both front disc brake pads failed on my Palio Stile SLX after just 13500 kms. Is this normal? What is the average life of these pads?

Details and photo here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post851565

Cheers,

Rajan

Mileage is not a factor to consider while determining the life of your brakes.
I have seen variations in brake pads and their life due to many factors.

1. The way you drive and conditions in which you drive, eg. if you drive on highways the brakes would last a long way well in theory at least because you wont brake a lot so mileage can not be a factor to weight them against.

2. The compounds yous pads were made of are also a factor, they are mainly metallic compounds. Race cars use carbon compound based materials definately more expensive and stronger.

Its safe to always get the pads checked at every service there is a indicator fine line that tells you how much of the pad's still left.
It also gives you warning squeaks when it wears out.

Its very important to never drive with worn out pads as it will cause the rotor to get sharp circular lines. This means a very expensive repair work.

I hope that helps.

It totally depends on how much you brake. The lesser you brake, or the more lighter you break, the longer the pads will work.

My Accord breakpads wear out every 20,000kms and I thought that was early...but 13500 seems fishy!
Then again my car is automatic and driven only in the city,which might be the culprits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyBoy (Post 851596)
Guys,

For all four pads to need replacing at the same early time is very strange. Sub-standard brake pads seem unlikely on a new car. Do you keep your foot on the brake all the time? A lot of people do this thinking it gives them quicker emergency response. It does. It also wears out the brakes fast and drives everyone behind you crazy as they have to look at your brake lights all the time and do not know if you are really stopping, slowing or what.

Usually the front pads wear out first long before the rear ones. Your case makes me suspicious. I am wondering if some tech swapped your pads for cheap ones before you bought the vehicle. He might do this for profit or to fill his parts shortage.

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper english in posts, for the benefit of other forum users. Do also use the appropriate punctuation. You aren't on MSN messenger.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 851812)
Do you keep your foot on the brake all the time? A lot of people do this thinking it gives them quicker emergency response. It does. It also wears out the brakes fast and drives everyone behind you crazy as they have to look at your brake lights all the time and do not know if you are really stopping, slowing or what.

The Bangalore traffic is crazy. Constant braking is imminent. :Frustrati Cant do without it.

Quote:

Usually the front pads wear out first long before the rear ones. Your case makes me suspicious. I am wondering if some tech swapped your pads for cheap ones before you bought the vehicle. He might do this for profit or to fill his parts shortage.
Quite possible. But how to prove it?

Yours is quite premature indicative of some problem, even with hard braking expect it to last least 25000km on average. The front pads on my Gurkha are original after 10 years and 117000km of driving.

The original front wheel brake pads lasted 35k kms. This is in 70-80% bangalore traffic.
There service guy was like :Shockked:. He said normally the change is required by 20-25k kms.

The 20-25k range looks to be average mark. 13.5k is too early, esp for the original set.

IMO, life of the pads depends on braking style & vehicle. I had replaced my front sent on the Sumo at 25k, though I'm expecting this set to last atleast 30k.

I am on my original set of brake pads for the past 50000km and there is enough material on it to last another 40000km in my 2003 June 23rd GTX. Definitely there is something wrong in the free return sliding path of your brake pads. Have the free sliding motion checked or else your fresh set of pads are not going to last you any better. If you drive exclusively in the city do not expect it to last more than 50k. I use it mainly for highway drive and seldom use the brakes. For city use I have the Junkinidica whose brake pads I change every 30k.
Also make sure that your rear brakes are working properly as they are supposed to take about 30% of the braking load.

Original pads on my vtec lasted 25K kms, the 2nd set lasted 41K kms (thanks to engine braking).

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by eclectix 1st (Post 851819)
The Bangalore traffic is crazy. Constant braking is imminent. :Frustrati Cant do without it.

Heavy traffic's frequent braking is obviously not riding the brake pedal the way I am writing about above. If YOU drive this way, riding your brake, I suggest you find another way. Ask around and see how many others drive this way. Even heavy traffic situations will not normally eat up brake pads this fast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eclectix 1st (Post 851819)
Quite possible. But how to prove it?

Most judgments we make in life do not require us to have strict proof and we can not get it even if we want it. So what is new? This situation might give me enough reason not to use this dealer's A.S.S., however. I have all the "proof" I need for that.

Mostly they will last around 35-40K. But then the driving style, driving conditions also matter. Our Baleno has done more than 20K without any replacements. M800 Did more than 40K without any replacement.

Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I have been driving for sometime now and do not ride the brake pedal. I use engine braking a lot. I suspect a manufacturing defect. Mr. Babu of Green Tracks also felt the same. I am not very upset that the brake pads gave up so soon. I am only upset that the delear's service centre did not detect it during service, which was done just 2 days before the brake pads gave up. They do not seem to realise that we trust them to maintain our prized possession in their hands.

Cheers,
Rajan