Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2008, 07:08   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Start the cold car, keep idling for around 5 minutes, for the thermostat to kick in. If your thermostat is bad, the water will not be allowed to flow to the jacket even after the initial warm up period is over. So it will overflow.
This well could be the reason. We tend to ignore this small part.
Old 4th June 2008, 08:44   #17
Team-BHP Support

can someone be kind enough to post a picture of the engine bay with this jacket highlighted.
Old 4th June 2008, 09:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Vinit, please have the cabin heating coil of your car AC checked.

Do specially check if water is leaking out from the condensate drain pipe even with the AC compressor off.

Last edited by anupmathur : 4th June 2008 at 10:03.
Old 4th June 2008, 10:46   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
It can also be that the radiator fan is not switching on, due to which the temp is rising. I faced a similar problem in my Indica V2 DLS.
Agreed. If there isn't a leak, this is the primary suspect. Please start your car, pop open the hood and observe if the fan is getting activated.
Old 4th June 2008, 11:07   #20
BHPian

to rule out any leak
open the hood ((with caution of moving parts)) ask someone to step on the throttle or you give throttle from engine bay get it to about +4000rpm or let the engine scream and you should be able to see any leak for certain.
Most leaks are so small that they tend to show how nasty they are at higher rpms, emptying the radiator sooner than expected making you feel its a major leak.
The leaks also sometimes are in such points of the hose which have direct contact to the road and wont leave any trace on any engine parts.
happened to me.
Old 4th June 2008, 17:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Could not check with the radiator cap open yesterday because the parking place was all wet due to heavy rains.

But One more observation today.

Since yesterday and today morning, the car consumed around a litre and I just had to fill up the Coolant container, the radiator water level being full. So filled the water and left for office. Office being just 9 kms from my residence, 25 min drive.

Reached office and while parking I saw that the temp meter has come a little above normal, so dint switch off the car to observe more. In idle state, with AC on, the temp meter came near to half, and then got stable there, no further increase.
So switched off the car and got down. Touched the Bonnet to check the Heat and was surprised by the noise that I could feel through my hand. Thought it could be something to do with some work being done to the office building, so touched the nearby car bonnet but that was stable. Could not feel any movement.
So immediately opened the Bonnet to check. While opening the Bonnet, I saw water near the Left tyre, coming from the within the Bonnet and it was still coming out.

What I saw was that there is a pipe that connects the Coolant container with the top of the radiator, just below the radiator cap. That pipe is also attached with the Coolant Cap and has a small opening. The purpose of this small outlet whould be for the steam to flow out of the radiator. From this small opening, the water was spilling out, along with the steam. This should be because of the heated engine.
So it is confirmed that there is no leak in the Radiator.

But then the possible questions are
1. Inspite of adequate water level, why would the Engine Heat up so much? Will check whether the Fan is working today
2. Is there a blockage? Where?

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 4th June 2008 at 17:01.
Old 4th June 2008, 17:13   #22
BHPian

Does the santro have a electric or belt driven water pump?

In either case, I hope your mechanic checked it.
Old 4th June 2008, 17:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplythebest View Post
Does the santro have a electric or belt driven water pump?

In either case, I hope your mechanic checked it.
Which car has an electric water pump?
Old 4th June 2008, 21:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Which car has an electric water pump?
i too was surprised, guess he wanted to say fan.
Old 4th June 2008, 21:50   #25
BANNED

If you are sure that it is a vent to let out boiling water / steam, STOP driving and take the car to a service centre. It can be a block (how did it happen?); it could also be a non-working water pump.
Old 4th June 2008, 21:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

check

Check your tailpipe. (gasket leak)

If you have a heater, check the inside of your car for moisture on the carpets. (Heater core leaking)

If the leaking coolant is hitting your very hot exhaust manifold it is getting blown away as steam and maybe some has condensed on the undersides of things around there.
Old 4th June 2008, 23:44   #27
Team-BHP Support

Check your water pump and thermostat, take it to a dealer and clearly explain and demonstrate the phenomenon.
Old 5th June 2008, 10:32   #28
BHPian

Hi,

I guess you have had enough inputs from the experts by now! However, I would like to share my personal experiences with you regarding this very symptom.

I experienced this on my Vtec and am sharing the learings. Hope this helps.

1. To check for Head gasket leak:

Let your car cool for a while, then open the radiator cap with caution! twist the cap half way through! this way the pressure and the steam if any will release.

Once this is done go all the way and open the cap. Check the water/coolant level, if you cant see it, top the radiator with water/coolant.

Now with the hood open, keeping an eye on the top of the radiator, crank your car! If you see bubbles in the water inside your radiator then most probably your head gasket is leaking!

However! if you see the water/coolant just shooting out from your radiator! Brother you can be rest assured that you have a head gasket leak.

2. If it is not a head gasket leak:

a. Observe the level of water/coolant in the coolant bottle. Fill the bottle till the recommended mark and make sure that the water/coolant is full in the radiatior. Now drive the car and observe the temperature. If the temperature does not rise then its good but if it does then park the car and let it cool down, now observe the level of water/coolant in the bottle.

If you notice that the level of water/coolant has increased in the bottle but the level of water/coolant has gone down in the radiator. Replace your radiator cap.

Our radiator cap does 2 things! 1.Maintain a pressure (around 2-4psi) and also works in a way so that it helps the water/coolant circulate from the radiator to the radiator bottle and back. So that when hot the level in the radiator bottle will increase slightly and when cool it sucks the water/coolant from the bottle.

b. If the level remains same and there is no problem with your cap, then check for the thermostat, with your hood open just revv the car till your car reached the adequate temp and then make sure the fan starts when it should. If your fan doesnt start it could be your thermostat or your relay (which switches on the fan).

Also, before doing any of this, like others have suggested, get all the hoses checked, there could be a leak from the main hose to the water jacket.

I hope this would help you.

Cheers,
Shrey

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 5th June 2008 at 10:40.
Old 5th June 2008, 16:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Considering all the inputs here, it surely is either of the following
1. Non-Working Water Pump
2. Gasket Leak

And tomorrow I take it to the Mechanic to get it fixed first thing in morning.

Will write more once I am back from the Garage tomorrow.
Old 5th June 2008, 17:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

It it is gasket leak you should also see oil in the radiator.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks