Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Radiator getting empty every second day

I own an old Santro.
I was not having any problems with it whatsoever until recently, while driving, I suddenly saw the 'Check Engine' light went on and the temp meter was almost at it highest.
I immediately stopped the car and waited for 5 min before I open the radiator lid. Took a cloth and then opened the lid.
The sight was that of a steam engine.

Nevertheless. Restarted the car to put in water. Poured till it was full again.
usually there has never arisen such a situation as I check the water level once a month. This happened on a Sunday.

My Dad said this could be because of the Hot Summer, But I had my doubts.
On Tuesday morning, I rechecked the water level and found that it was almost Nil. I poured another 2 litres.

I was planning a trip to Goa mid-June and but now I am doubtful of it.
I straightaway took the car to Mechanic, with whom I have got the car serviced regularly. Told him about the happenings.

He inspected the car closely by opening the Bonnet. No conclusion.
Got under the car for a clue. No Conclusion.

There was no leak from the radiator.
Gasket semed ok to him.
Oil level was proper.
No trace of any water leak in the 10 min inspection, while the car was switched on.

Took note of the water level and asked me to come back next day or day after.

While on my way back, I see that the temp meter is rising again. It reached the mid level. How can this be, I told my self, as we had just inspected the car and the water level was all ok. Stopped the car on the side of the road, kept it on and observed. No change, as the temp meter dint fall. Since my home not too far from thereon, I decided to drive home.
I again started moving and within a minute i guess, the temp meter came down to normal.

I again inspected the level after 4 hours of re-filling in morning and found that the level was down again.

This has left me clueless. No radiator leak, Oil Levels OK, Gasket OK. No trace of water leak but where the hell is the water disappearing. Even Petrol doesn't evaporate so quickly.

It also come to my mind that On friday night, there was a big speed braker and the car went 'thud' over it. I was at a very slow speeed but there were heavy people seated in the car which resulted in the thud under my seat. I mentioned this to the mechanic who, on inspection, mentioned that no damaged has happened due to that thud.

Can anyone in this forum have a clue of what this can be.

I have my trip lined up mid-month which is now at stake, unless the mechanic is able to crack the problem. But on questioning, It seemed to me that he's gonna take time. Coz, on asking him if water level falls, he said he would have to remove the radiator and check, check water pump, etc.
Old 3rd June 2008, 20:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Definitely a leakage in the coolant circulation, can be radiator or connecting pipes or the body. Keep the radiator cap open (to allow water to leak and not restrict under pressure) and check again in the morning.
Old 3rd June 2008, 20:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

I agree with dadu, definitely a leak, not gasket or else engine would have been history. Check the plumbing and radiator again
Old 3rd June 2008, 20:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Definitely a leakage in the coolant circulation, can be radiator or connecting pipes or the body. Keep the radiator cap open (to allow water to leak and not restrict under pressure) and check again in the morning.
A good idea indeed. Will the cap open and observe tomorrow.

But what confuses me is that even when there was water in the radiator (agreed that there might be a leak somewhere but at that point of time, there was water in the radiator), how did the Temp go up, and not to stop here, how/why did it come down so abruptly. I know the temp meter is at no fault. Its working all right, because I can smell that the car did heat up.

Anyone any clue on this?
Old 3rd June 2008, 20:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Try Adding some small amount of Turmeric(Haldi) to the radiator, if its a small leak this will be solved
Old 3rd June 2008, 20:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

It can also be that the radiator fan is not switching on, due to which the temp is rising. I faced a similar problem in my Indica V2 DLS.

Also, get the angle connector checked for coolant leakage. That can only be done if the mechanic gets under the car and inspects it.

Anyways, I am curious why you top up the radiator with only water?? Is it not supposed to be coolant?
Old 3rd June 2008, 20:21   #7
Team-BHP Support

just wondering will this work.

sprinkle dry copper sulphate on a cold radiator.
Wait for sometime and where its gone blue is where you have the leak.

or is there some colour stuff that you can add to the water in the radiator so it will leave a stain showing the leak area.
Old 3rd June 2008, 20:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Anyways, I am curious why you top up the radiator with only water?? Is it not supposed to be coolant?
Water only because the already existing coolant has already gone. SO until this thing is fixed, I cant keep adding coolant (not every two days )

Where do I get dry copper sulphate?

I assume Adding turmeric wont do any damage but I will have to try things one by one. Else I will get re-confused as to what the problem was, once it is solved.
Old 3rd June 2008, 20:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

turmeric basically seals small gaps in a radiator, this though works only in short run but if this solves at least you will know its a small leak & get it fixed\replaced accordingly.
Old 3rd June 2008, 22:35   #10
BANNED

Copper sulphate should be available in most gardening / agri-product shop. Heat it to make it white.

I think you can also try parking in a clean area where water stains will show up. Top up water, move the car about a car length (so that spilled water is avoided), keep the engine running for a minute or two, and check the ground for signs. If you have parked in a sand / gravel area, sand will move away when water pours "drip, drip". You get the idea.
Old 3rd June 2008, 23:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Definitely a leakage. Otherwise this weird behavior cant take place.
Old 4th June 2008, 00:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Have you checked all the hoses for leakages?
Old 4th June 2008, 02:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Before going to sleep at night, top up the radiator, start the car, switch it off. Observe the Water level in the morning. If it drops check for leaks from watermark on floor.

If fine.

Start the cold car, keep idling for around 5 minutes, for the thermostat to kick in. If your thermostat is bad, the water will not be allowed to flow to the jacket even after the initial warm up period is over. So it will overflow.
Old 4th June 2008, 04:02   #14
BHPian

my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
A good idea indeed. Will the cap open and observe tomorrow.

But what confuses me is that even when there was water in the radiator (agreed that there might be a leak somewhere but at that point of time, there was water in the radiator), how did the Temp go up, and not to stop here, how/why did it come down so abruptly. I know the temp meter is at no fault. Its working all right, because I can smell that the car did heat up.

Anyone any clue on this?
Hi,
here is my theory:
thermostat is not working then water became steam. When you add cool water in the circuit the thermostatic valve shut and only very little water was flowing through the engine. When you turn on, temperature rise let the valve open, and mix cool water with little hot water, hence the temp drop.
If you do not have any leakage is then probably the fan that is not ok.
Just my thought...

Ciao

Ignazio
Old 4th June 2008, 07:06   #15
BHPian

If the thermostat/fan is not okay, then problem will be apparent in stop/go city driving. At highway speeds, airflow thru the grille will ensure cooling.

Since you still have not traced the leak so far, it looks like it could be the fan is not working, as any leak would leave some kind of mark on the engine/radiator/hose even if you dont use coolant unless the water used is free of all salts, like distilled water. In this case, when the temp starts to rise due to reduced water level, you should feel some pressure when opening the filling cap. If not, you certainly have a leak.
Try switching on the A/C. If the condenser fan runs, it could be a thermostat prob.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks