Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2008, 12:35   #1
BHPian

Problem in shifting to lower gear

Dear friends,
I have a Hyundai Accent 2000 model. Of late i have noticed that when i am driving and i try to shift to a second gear at a low speed itself, while driving, the gear shift is not very smooth. in fact the notchy shift is even more pronounced when i try to shift to first gear even while driving slowly. sometimes there is some resistance in shifting to first gear. similarly, while engaging a reverse gear, of course from a dead stop, sometime the gear does not fall smoothly and there is a kharr sound.
i know that the gear box is not very smooth. what could be the trouble? should i try changing the gear oil? i have bought this used car and am not aware when the oil was last changed?
Please let me know how to go about this. it is not a major trouble but i do not want to ignore the issue and wait for it to worsen.
Cheers,
Harsha
Old 9th June 2008, 17:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

check the oil and also the syncromesh...
Old 9th June 2008, 17:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like a Synchro problem.
Old 9th June 2008, 17:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

yeah the synchro is out of sync
Old 9th June 2008, 17:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Best option for gear box problem is take it to a showroom and show them the vehicle.
Old 9th June 2008, 18:20   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs guys. now that it seems to be s syncromesh issue, how do you think i should go about it? should i show it in the showroom as mr. naronikar suggests or is it something simple that can be taken care of by the simple roadside mech? any estimates of the possible scenarios and the associated costs?
Old 9th June 2008, 18:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Harsha, it could be a simple clutch adjustment issue.
Old 9th June 2008, 18:52   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I second Anup. That sounds like a clutch issue to me.
Old 9th June 2008, 19:01   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Harsha, it could be a simple clutch adjustment issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I second Anup. That sounds like a clutch issue to me.
Hi Harsh,

Is is most likely a synchro issue only.

@GTO & Anup - The Accent has a hydraulic clutch where there is no setting available.

Viper
Old 9th June 2008, 19:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
@GTO & Anup - The Accent has a hydraulic clutch where there is no setting available.
You could be right Viper.
It is a hydraulically actuated clutch. That does not preclude adjustment of actuator. The symptoms appear to be of a clutch that is not getting fully un-coupled.
Old 9th June 2008, 19:30   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
You could be right Viper.
It is a hydraulically actuated clutch. That does not preclude adjustment of actuator. The symptoms appear to be of a clutch that is not getting fully un-coupled.
Hi,

The only scenario I visualize that happening would be a faulty clutch bearing or loss of clutch fluid where that could happen(unlikely). My money would still be on the synchronizer.

@ Harsh - Is the pick up of your car ok and how many kms have you done on your clutch. If you have clocked in excess of 50k kms then it could be your pressure plate as mentioned by the others.

Viper
Old 9th June 2008, 20:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Kind to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.cs1 View Post
I have a Hyundai Accent 2000 model. Of late i have noticed that when i am driving and i try to shift to a second gear at a low speed itself, while driving, the gear shift is not very smooth. in fact the notchy shift is even more pronounced when i try to shift to first gear even while driving slowly. sometimes there is some resistance in shifting to first gear. similarly, while engaging a reverse gear, of course from a dead stop, sometime the gear does not fall smoothly and there is a kharr sound.

Harsha
I am afraid you have classic symptoms of tranny going bad. GTO and Anup are trying to save your wallet undo strain but I think its the synchros and collars as noted in other posts. The symptoms are too well described by you.

See...

Howstuffworks "Shifting Gears"
Old 9th June 2008, 20:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

If only Synchromesh should not cost more tahn 5k including labour.
Old 10th June 2008, 10:30   #14
BHPian

Hi pals,
to answer some of your queries, the accent is a 2000 model which has surprisingly done only 38 k kms till date. i am the third owner and i have reason to believe the kms represented because the interiors were pretty fresh, the tyres were the same 7 year old ones bearing the right date etc. i know they are not fool proof methods but did seem convincing then. even my mech agreed.
coming to the issue, i have noticed that the clutch releases a little late. that is when i release the bottom half movement of the clutch, the gear is not fully engaged, it is the few centimetres of the latter(upper) half of the clutch release that engages the gear fully.
so, in addition to the above diagnosis, is my clutch open to setting?
now that the clutch issue is clear, i do not think it could be a matter of the clutch not fully engaging, could it?
as regards pick up, it is just fine n i love the way the car pulls. i run it on lpg though.
as regards syncromesh, is it a part capable of being repaired or is it necessary to change it? i will also read the link of how stuff works.
Regards,
Harsha

Last edited by harsha.cs1 : 10th June 2008 at 10:49. Reason: upon review
Old 10th June 2008, 10:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Synchromesh rings have to be replaced they cannot be repaired.

Last edited by iceman91 : 10th June 2008 at 10:59.

Most Viewed