Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2008, 03:43   #16
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Yes its normal.
But with my marutis i have noted that if you keep driving the rpm stays at 1200+ as if still responding to cold start!

Honda city doesn't seem to have this bug! as it relaxes automatically after its warmed up.

For the marutis I normally park the car for 10-15 secs when its warm and then the rpm settles. [interestingly you have to make the car stationary (not just roll in neutral) before the rpm with consider coming down and switch off the ac too]

Otherwise I just switch off the engine and start it again and then it idles normal.
Old 8th October 2008, 10:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Normal behavior. The RPM will shoot up on start, this is when the ECU, sort of, wakes up and gets itself in order. At the start some extra amount of fuel is also made available.

The RPM should settle itself down in few seconds (less than 10sec) and will.
Old 8th October 2008, 11:04   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
if u find it too intrusive and it doesnt stop then just switch off your car, and restart it. this fools the ecu in thinking its not a cold start.. i do that everyday!
Yeah this might fool the system, correct.
But do you really want to do it ?

There will and should be a good reason for implementing the cold start procedure. Simply speaking no one in the right mind will run the engine to the redline until warmed up properly, will they ?

As we clearly know a engine needs to attain a certain temperature to operate efficiently. This ensures that the engine is getting proper lubrication and this I think is the prime reason for the "warming" up. (Viscosity of oil related to temperature and all that)

Also on an environmental note, the emissions car lets out during this period and for the next 1km or so is more than it will do in the next 100 or so kms, reason being the "cat" needs to be at a certain temperature to do its stuff.

So it might be worth 30 sec - 1 min for warming up the engine before driving off. At least the car will thank you for this down the line
Old 8th October 2008, 11:55   #19
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys for your help and feedback. I can now breath and feel relaxed.

I was worried with this rpm..
Old 17th November 2015, 08:50   #20
BHPian

Re: 1600 RPM at start - Swift Dzire Zxi

Hello Guys,

I seem to have a little issue with my Swift 1.3 VXI, for some reason whenever i am driving, with the gear engaged and the clutch depressed, sometimes or say many a times, the rpm drops to about 500/600 rpm range, and then the car almost always stutters, not sure if there's anything wrong, please advise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks