Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2008, 15:52   #1

Matiz : Jerks and MIL lamp ON

Hello to all of you.I'm a newbie here.
Own a Matiz 99 SA ( PS PW AC). It has done 70K without a problem and no replacements till date except the tyres and wiper blades.
I get it serviced regularly at Gargatte Auto Pune.
Few days ago a problem started with the Malfunction Indicatior Lamp ( amber coloured ) turning ON and the car jerking and losing power for a moment. Sometimes the light remains ON for a couple of minutes and then vanishes with the car running normally thereafter. At other times it keeps on for more than 5 minutes and the car runs with a lot of jerks, say intermittently.
On the same note I witnessed some fuel smell and after inspecting found out that the fuel leaks from the rubber seal connecting the fuel lid opener to the fuel tank. The leak is only prevalent when the the tank is filled beyond 15 Litres at once.
I'm very much concerned about the Malfuntion indicator lamp and jerks.
I travel daily 50 Km approx and mostly on highway.

Appreciate all your suggestions in advance.
Many thanks
Vishal.
Old 14th June 2008, 01:31   #2
BHPian

Hi Vishal,
Please do a thorough check up on electrical system.

Please check the following:
1. HT wire connection to spark plugs
2. Distributor
3. Induction Coil
4. Battery connections (if required)
5. Alternator. (if required)

Some time back, I too had the same problem. The car jerks and it’s like throwing you out of the car, especially in second and third gear. The technician checked the electrical system and found the induction coil got shorted. He replaced the same and solved the problem.
With regards
Sunil
Old 16th June 2008, 11:33   #3

Thanks a lot Sunil.
Shall do the check right away.

Vishal.
Old 16th June 2008, 13:40   #4
Team-BHP Support

For a moment I thought your car has a Mother In Law lamp.
Anyways, it looks like the car is taking air, or there is some kind of issue with fuel delivery.
How old if the Matiz. A fuel pump issue cannot be ruled out in older cars
Old 16th June 2008, 13:46   #5
BANNED

I clearly see the alternator malfuctioning.

Pls straight head to a reputed electrician and get your alternator repaired.
Old 16th June 2008, 16:37   #6
BHPian

Gargate garage is ok for servicing but I don't think he has 'electrical' expertise for Matiz....if u stay in city, plan to visit Bosch (Kotkar Automobiles) on Karve Road, just adjacent to Sahyadri hospital.
Old 9th July 2008, 12:39   #7

Hi all

Thank all of you for all the inputs..it took me longer than expected to get things sorted out..

Got my car serviced and tuned at Gargatte and now it's pefectly fine..
We were not able to find out the exact cause of the Malfunction indicator lamp turning on and so basically worked on guess work...the light's vanished now but it led to a few more things to be replaced.

The clutch and pressure plate assembly was worn out so changed that, cost me 2k for the clutch assembly and another 500 for the release bearing.
The alternator and timing belts were changed as pre-emptive action ( after 70 K on the ODO ) cost me another thousand Rs.
The fuel pipe which connects the fuel filling lid to the petrol tank was another culprit and petrol was leaking from the rubber seal at the tank end.The guys asked me to change the complete pipe.Took quotes from three different places and no consistency among them.Mavis motors quoted 7K , the local nanapeth shops in pune quoted 950 rs and gargattes source quoted 1800 Rs.Finally went ahead with gargatte as it was readily available and the nanapeth guy was going to source ot from Delhi.In the end we found out that Matiz has two different versions of the petrol tank, plastic and metallic and the lenght of the pipe is different for both the tanks, with the pipe for the plastic tank being shorter ( to my benefit, as the pipe ordered by gargatte was shorter and they had to make do with the rubber seal coming with the new pipe and I saved around 1700 as only the rubber seal was used with the old pipe intact.
Got the fuel injectors cleaned.
Changed the Oil filter.
Left suspension was in no good shape, the lower arm ( 375 rs) and balance rod bush set (120 Rs) was changed.
The tappet cover hose was cracked at one of the openings so changed it too (290 Rs)
Some oil seals , chamber packing and melted fuses were changed too...
The overall cost came out to be 8K and I was pretty happy with the results. The guys have done a good job and the car feels much more smooth now. The mileage has increased a bit. close to 15 with city and highway in a mix of 40:60.
No issues with spares sourcing except the fuel pipe.
Got the contact of one of ex deawoo mechanic for one Adya33 and plan too visit him for further services as prefer someone who knows the matiz inside out rather than generalised mechanics exoerince with gargatte was nice.

Vishal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks