Team-BHP - Water entering my car through the floorboard
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Water entering my car through the floorboard (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/41039-water-entering-my-car-through-floorboard.html)

My cars a Santro Xing, and I'm having this wierd problem that theres water entering my car through the floorboards. This is not due to driving thru flooded roads or stuff. It appears that when the car is in motion on wet roads, the water is splashing up and entering the car. I've tried to look under the carpets and find a hole or rubber stopper missing, but no luck. I also seem to have water in my doors, so when I open/close the doors, I hear the water swishing inside. Any idea how to stop this. Cars pretty well maintained, and in an AMC. Been thru three monsoons before without any issues.

Would appreciate any help in resolving this issue.

Lalvaz, there should be a rubber seals underneath the doors. remove them and the awter will drain out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 (Post 865312)
Lalvaz, there should be a rubber seals underneath the doors. remove them and the awter will drain out.

Hi Kapil,

I'll do that. Infact I've already done that to drain water in the boot, but the water keeps returning. Is there any permanent solution to this? Am I the only one with this problem or is it something that other Santro owners are facing as well.

Cheers,
Lalit

[quote=Lalvaz;865308]theres water entering my car through the floorboards. This is not due to driving thru flooded roads or stuff. It appears that when the car is in motion on wet roads, the water is splashing up and entering the car. I've tried to look under the carpets and find a hole or rubber stopper missing, but no luck. I also seem to have water in my doors, so when I open/close the doors, I hear the water swishing inside. Any idea how to stop this.quote]

Water entering the doors can be attributed to the worn out window rubber moulding. Rain water might be seeping inside because of this.
Water entering the floor is surely because of a damaged rubber stopper.
Also check for the ac pipes. They might be the source of water condensation.

There are various points in the flooring where water could be entering from. Check the rubber boots near the pedals. Maybe one of them is missing. Also check the front wheel wells. Other that that there could be a leakage from under the engine side. If you can figure out from which part the water is coming in, ie which part of the flooring gets wet first then you should mark it and take the car to an authorized Hyundai dealer and get this sorted out or you will have a bad time during floods.

It might be condensation like i faced in my car.

Hey finally seem to have gotten rid of the water issue in my car. Apparently the problem was that there are two channels for rain water which enters near the windshield to drain away from the underside of the car. Now, these channels were blocked at the discharge end, so all the water that entered from the windshield area was stagnating in there, leading to it entering the car from near the firewall area. Since I have rubber matting over my carpets, the water was not visible over the mats, but was all over the carpeting.

The reason for the blockage was leaves and corrosion, so anyways, the Hyundai service center has increased the size of the holes and cleant the debris there, so the water now drains thru the channel and does not enter the car. However, theres some corrosion in the car, due to all the water accumulation. So, need to get some tin work done. Thinking of waiting till the monsoon gets over to finally tinker with the metal and then do the paint job as well.

Thanks for all your inputs guys. Surprised none of the other Hyundai Santro owners seem to have faced this problem ever, atleast none of the folks on this forum...

Earlier cars used to have drainage holes in the floor . But on a newer generation car this is surprising.

can you tell the exact location where you find the water. i had faced similar problem in my brand new car. it happened to be the wheel arcs where the most trusted brand MARUTI had missed out one weld spot due to which the water was entering.

Hey Amit - Sorry, I dont know the exact spot the water was entering, but it was somewhere below the dashboard, actually just below the ending of the rubber mats on both the left and right sides. So, I could not see the water on top of my rubber mats, but the floor carpetting was soaked, and on one occasion, we've mopped up a whole bucket of water from the soggy carpet, and it was still wet.

Like I mentioned the Hyundai service center fixed it now. But have'nt checked it, since I've not yet driven the car in the rain since then. Will check over this weekend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 881970)
Earlier cars used to have drainage holes in the floor . But on a newer generation car this is surprising.

I believe the Santro has drainage holes in the floor too. I'm sure they have it in the boot, cos I've opened that a couple of times to drain off excess water, but these drainage holes are usually blocked with rubber stoppers, so you need to open the holes manually in case of water logging.

In my case, apparently two drain channels were blocked with leaves etc.. which resulted in water stagnating in those two channels. This water somehow entered the car just below the rubber mats, so I was'nt even aware of the water till my cleaner pointed it out to me.

And as per Amits email, a similar case happened to his Zen as well, so I guess even modern cars have old problems.:Frustrati