Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2007, 20:30   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
turbo V12: thats just the throttle body decarbonization u are talking about.

The Carbon Clean System works essentially this way: The fuel lines are removed from the engine and is hooked up to the machine which is sortof an alternative fuel pump and pushes the cleaner solvent and pterol mixture into the running engine, the car is kept running for about 15 mins, then a 15mins stop then another 15 mins of pumping, settinng and refitting takes another 15 mins so the whole process is an hour.

During the time the engine is running in the solvent is decarbonizing the deposits from the car right from the beginning of the fuel lines and into the (carbeurettor or injectors) and into the cylinder walls, being burnt like ur regular fuel and leaving the car as a normal exhaust fume. you can very well see the burnt carbon which has been extracted from the engine in the tailpipe which ends up with a smooth black coat of soot. The car should be run for about 5kms after that and then the spark plugs opened and cleaned once (to remove the desposits from the solvent). The engine actualy gets a thorough inside cleaning without doing an overhaul. It is not going to avoid u an overhaul since its still an external procedure, but regular use can definitely help u keep the engines health in good condition, as recommended, every 20k. The main advantages are smoother running of the engine and original compression being restored.

Some people often argue that in high mileage engines the compression is actually aiding increased performance and decarbonization will lead to a loss of compression after the engine has been cleaned. However they do tend to miss the point that the carbon deposits are also around the valves and not just on the head, which actually are decreasing compression in old cars because of non airtight conditions. Before and after compression tests can be done anytime to prove that.

And yeah a good Decarb Spray like the ones by STP that i use are always good for the throttle body alongside which is recommended every 5k (every service), thats seperate from engine decarbonization.

Regards,

Arush
Is this procedure carried out on bikes too? or do they have a separate procedure of de-carb the engine?
Old 6th October 2007, 10:00   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
How many of BHPians here have got the engine decarb done? Has it made a drastic difference?
Had it done on the Baleno at 20k. No difference that I can make out, but the car was always a smooth runner. Feel I was conned into it by the Chowgule MASS
Old 15th October 2007, 21:21   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Had it done on the Baleno at 20k. No difference that I can make out, but the car was always a smooth runner. Feel I was conned into it by the Chowgule MASS
how do you drive?its important , do you redline often?

after a decarb you should flush oil & change its filter , fuel filter , change\clean spark plugs , i recheck spray patterns of the injectors , clean\replace airfilter , hmmm...flush your radiator if you never have and of course throttle body cleaning

this is all essential , apart from the radiator which is advisable , for optimum results

look at my earlier posts for the links of AUTONICS decarb machine
any idea which machine they used in your car?
if your not on mobil 1 : get on it man > if you drive for pleasure <hard or light.

cheers
cy
Old 16th October 2007, 11:53   #79
BHPian

Hey fellows, could someone please tell me the difference between an engine decarb and an engine flush? After going through the posts, I'm still not sure about the above. Here's my experience with the 3 cars I drive:

1. M800 (75K+ Km): Never done decarb/flush and the car still runs pretty smooth.
2. Indica V2 (1L+ Km): Had done decarb once at 20K service but never after that. The car's still running quite smooth.
3. Esteem MPFI (~8K Km): Now going from my previous experiences, I don't know if I should get a decarb for it in the future! Gurus please advise.

Thanks in advance!
Old 17th November 2007, 11:42   #80
BHPian

my car has done say 44000 km its a vtec is it time for the decarbonising to be done or wait till 50k
Old 18th December 2007, 09:04   #81
BHPian

Hi,
My mpfi zen had done 32k, got decarbonization done at RNS yeshwantpur, feels smoother.
the bill has a line item called 3M Engine Rejenuvation and they have charged me 1900 bucks for it.I asked him if it includes throttle body cleaning and fuel injection cleaning, he said yes.
Still need to check wat the impact on mileage is. I was getting 12 kmpl prior to it. Will keep you guys posted.

Cheers,
Nitin
Old 19th December 2007, 09:28   #82
BHPian

Hi,

I have santro 2001, purchased second hand this year (Aug 2007).

ODO 42K. I am not aware if engine flush was carried out by previous owner. I checked with Huynadai ASC, they discouraged me from doing engine flush stating there could be oil leak.

I wish to know, if I can get it done correctly with out causing any further trouble to any of engine part in Mumbai.

Please advice. Thank you.
Old 23rd January 2008, 13:33   #83

Hi,

I have two cars--- M800 (4 speed 2001 model MPFI with 65K on the odo) and Lancer Slxi (1999 with 93K on the odo). I want to have the engine flushed with OWS\STP. I have read that flush can cause problems on engines with high mileage which have never had flushing done before. The problems range from Choked Oil pan (what is this??) to leakages. Seniors--- Kindly advise whether I should have the engine flushed and any precautions that I should take.

P.S. Both cars run on CNG
Old 23rd January 2008, 14:16   #84
Senior - BHPian

hey my verna has done 23000 kms and was using premium diesel initially and shifted to normal one recently.should i have an engine flush done.
Old 25th January 2008, 08:00   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
hey my verna has done 23000 kms and was using premium diesel initially and shifted to normal one recently.should i have an engine flush done.
No need for that yet.
Old 9th February 2008, 00:23   #86
Senior - BHPian

Is decarb required for diesel engines? If yes, then at what kms, and normal diesel flush to be used right? I am using synthetic oil.
Old 9th February 2008, 03:47   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Is decarb required for diesel engines? If yes, then at what kms, and normal diesel flush to be used right? I am using synthetic oil.
hell yes it is !!!
more carbon than a petrol people say

for you from me bookmarks

MotorVac

MotorVac

this is to decarb your engine top

for an oil flush for your lower half use OWS 210 : engine flush
its killer and highly recommended for diesels
you can get it at N1 -600 rs

PS : especially with petes box decarb at every oil change before you change your oil obviously.
any good MASS will hook you up

Last edited by cyneverdie : 9th February 2008 at 03:52.
Old 9th February 2008, 10:08   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyneverdie View Post
PS : especially with petes box decarb at every oil change before you change your oil obviously.
any good MASS will hook you up
Thanks CY. When i had shifted to synthetic at 10k, i had used flush. MASS sourced it for me. I have got my 20k service done, so on 30k, ill get the engine flushed decarb and then fresh synthetic oil
Old 9th February 2008, 11:00   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Hey fellows, could someone please tell me the difference between an engine decarb and an engine flush? After going through the posts, I'm still not sure about the above. Here's my experience with the 3 cars I drive:
Thanks in advance!
Engine Decarb is totally diff from Engine flush. Engine decarb is a process of cleaning the carbon deposits inside the clyinder, pistons and valve seats etc. i.e cleaning of the parts associated with combustion. this process is an alternate to overhaul of head and block-pistons.

Engine Flushout is a process used to clean the carbon/oil sludge/deposits in from the power transmitting parts like crankshafts, bearings etc located below the pistons and cylinder blocks. gearbox flush out is also done to clean the transmission. fresh engine and gearbox oil alongwith suppliments from reputed brands like bardahl or STP are recommended.

both the above processes have to be carried out every 20 k kms for better performance and good engine life.
Old 9th February 2008, 11:03   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
decarb for diesel engine is very much needed perhaps more earlier than petrol engines say 10k-15k. also engine flush out should be done at 15k. this will considerably increase the diesel engine life.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks