Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2008, 07:23   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
decarb for diesel engine is very much needed perhaps more earlier than petrol engines say 10k-15k. also engine flush out should be done at 15k. this will considerably increase the diesel engine life.
where did you get this 15 000 KM figure from man ???
At the worst always follow your car's service interval to change oil along with a flush and at least after 20 000 km - an engine decarb .
Maruti s service interval is 10 000 km i think in all their cars.
I feel the need to and i DO service my car every 7 000 KM , even though i clean my throttle body etc every 3 500 km .
Its needed , in fast city life.
Old 10th February 2008, 14:25   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyneverdie View Post
where did you get this 15 000 KM figure from man ???
At the worst always follow your car's service interval to change oil along with a flush and at least after 20 000 km - an engine decarb .
Maruti s service interval is 10 000 km i think in all their cars.
I feel the need to and i DO service my car every 7 000 KM , even though i clean my throttle body etc every 3 500 km .
Its needed , in fast city life.
As for the petrol cars the MUL suggests 20k for decarb and engine flushout the same is suggested for Diesel engines by TATA people. but some dealers advice to do this process a bit before i.e 15 k for diesel engines like those on indica as these face much abuse in continous stop and go city traffic.
Old 10th February 2008, 14:36   #93
BHPian

I would'nt say that a decarb is required at this interval for all cars or fuel types..! I'm running my XETA on CNG at 25,500 KM with Castrol Magnatec and STP Oil flush at the service interval of 10,000 KM, Car is smooth as always- The Engine oil has hardly even changed the colour from the golden yellow it is when new.
Old 10th February 2008, 16:36   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
I would'nt say that a decarb is required at this interval for all cars or fuel types..! I'm running my XETA on CNG at 25,500 KM with Castrol Magnatec and STP Oil flush at the service interval of 10,000 KM, Car is smooth as always- The Engine oil has hardly even changed the colour from the golden yellow it is when new.
castol magnatec is a fantastic oil though very costly. but if fuel quality is bad and if you are feeling the lack of punch decarb is the best solution.

and if u want to keep the carbon out of ur engine its recommended that u do a decarb every 20 k kms.
Old 10th February 2008, 17:25   #95
Senior - BHPian

Mystified

You all have me mystified by this "de-carbonization". It is not done in North America at all. Perhaps the fuel there is better and they do not have a problem. Yes, they do sell additives but nobody puts much faith in them.

They do clean throttle bodies, intake manifolds, injectors and they do engine flushes with motor oil. But they do not do "de-carbonization". Forgive me if I am a little skeptical about whether it is necessary or beneficial.
Old 10th February 2008, 17:30   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You all have me mystified by this "de-carbonization". It is not done in North America at all. Perhaps the fuel there is better and they do not have a problem. Yes, they do sell additives but nobody puts much faith in them.

They do clean throttle bodies, intake manifolds, injectors and they do engine flushes with motor oil. But they do not do "de-carbonization". Forgive me if I am a little skeptical about whether it is necessary or beneficial.
Buddy trust me its done very often in North America , trust me been there and seen it with my own eyes .
MotorVac is North American too.
Old 10th February 2008, 23:58   #97
BHPian

Decarbonising

Hi, we allso attend to around 50 cars a day at our wrkshop but think decarb just doesnt actually make any significant difference. With due regards to my fellow T-BHPins who think it is good pls show me any car manufacturer who mentions this to be sheduled activity.So i dont go on what most car dealerships say about this. this value added service at there workshops mints a lot of money for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
Is it advisable to go for decarbonisation of petrol engines after every 20K km. Does it really help ??
Old 11th February 2008, 00:23   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alankarmotor View Post
Hi, we allso attend to around 50 cars a day at our wrkshop but think decarb just doesnt actually make any significant difference. With due regards to my fellow T-BHPins who think it is good pls show me any car manufacturer who mentions this to be sheduled activity.So i dont go on what most car dealerships say about this. this value added service at there workshops mints a lot of money for them.
I have called and written to maruti about decarbonization , they OFFICIALLY told me that maruti engines dont accumalate carbon hence it is not neccesary !

Have made friends decarb their cars i have once myself , soon again too , they all including me found the car much smoother . Thats maruti s ikons hyundai s and an old honda city .

soon i will again and change my synthetic oil for the 3 rd time so this is a living experiment for me . Will update .

Benefit to Vehicle :
Fuel saving up-to 15%
Pollution control up-to 50%
Restore power by 40%
More AC cooling by 30%
Enhanced engine life
Smoother vibration free ride

this is widely claimed by decarb machines. An indian link -
Engine Decarbonizing Machine Manufacturer,Engine Decarbonizing Machine Exporter,Engine Decarbonizing Machine Supplier India

check it out
Old 11th February 2008, 03:01   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Benefit to Vehicle :
Fuel saving up-to 15%
Pollution control up-to 50%
Restore power by 40%
More AC cooling by 30%
Enhanced engine life
Smoother vibration free ride
O man...If that is the case then my Astra can really do with it as the fuel saving and restoring power part is very much needed by my old astra.
Where can i get it done in BBay and does it make a difference to my 1lakh plus old engine????
Old 11th February 2008, 09:43   #100
BANNED

Quote:
I have called and written to maruti about decarbonization , they OFFICIALLY told me that maruti engines dont accumalate carbon hence it is not neccesary !

Have made friends decarb their cars i have once myself , soon again too , they all including me found the car much smoother . Thats maruti s ikons hyundai s and an old honda city .

soon i will again and change my synthetic oil for the 3 rd time so this is a living experiment for me . Will update .

check it out
Hi,

The guy who answered you knows jack ****. All cars accumulate carbon over a period of time. I would not advise you to go for very frequent decarbonization once in 30-40000 kms is good enough.

Viper
Old 12th February 2008, 05:55   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

The guy who answered you knows jack ****. All cars accumulate carbon over a period of time. I would not advise you to go for very frequent decarbonization once in 30-40000 kms is good enough.

Viper
hehe tell me about it man !
Once every 10 000 km , sounds bad ? it has been recommended by some people , including KS's website.
Old 12th February 2008, 06:30   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
O man...If that is the case then my Astra can really do with it as the fuel saving and restoring power part is very much needed by my old astra.
Where can i get it done in BBay and does it make a difference to my 1lakh plus old engine????
My office astra s go to national garage at haji ali - thieves , they are thieves i tell you , but if you insist on being there for small stuff all good .

Have some official opel guys decarb your car , i say , even KS's workshop
has a decarb machine speak to him maybe but do it through official opel .

Mind you you will have to flush and change your oil too , get new spark plugs and get your valve clearances adjusted while your at it.
Do an 100 000 km service or something man.
Old 12th February 2008, 07:17   #103
BHPian

Hmmm..good info around guys,but tell me is it true that carbon formation to an extent is good? and by frequently decarbing you are wiping off that carbon formation.
Also with regards to throttle body cleaning can someone point me to a link/thread ? planning to go DIY on that one. its simple on my FI bike,tiny thing.. :P
Old 12th February 2008, 07:21   #104
BHPian

IMO, for most cars today, de-carb treatment is a waste of $ and time. If your FI system has been working well, you are not likely to have significant deposits that impact the operation of the engine. However, if you FI system has malfunctioned and you've been running rich, then u could have deposits and or clogged the cat.

Many in the US swear by a product called Seafoam (google it). They add it to petrol or straight into the manifold in small quantities via the vacuum hoses. Claimed to clean up very well. Many also add it to oil. I've not tried it.

B
Old 12th February 2008, 10:05   #105
BHPian

I got this Decarb stuff done (at Surakshaa) for my 5-Speed M800 which has done about 55,000km.

Though there is no "Oh my God I cant believe it!" kind of improvement, I can sense a minor improvement with regards to engine smoothness and acceleration. Havent checked the mileage difference though.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks