Team-BHP - Carbon Cleaning / Decarbonisation of Engine
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Carbon Cleaning / Decarbonisation of Engine (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/4105-carbon-cleaning-decarbonisation-engine.html)

Mod Note : Please continue the discussion in our Engine Decarbonisation Article. Thanks

Is it advisable to go for decarbonisation of petrol engines after every 20K km. Does it really help ??

just use good engine flush by ows or stp after 20k km its good enough. costs 450 bucks and an oil change and new oil filter.

I would definitely suggest decarbonization every 20k, the results are very much visible (or rather felt), improved performance most notably. Also, make sure which form of decarbonization machine is being used by the provider as there are many local manufacturers which are moreso an eyewash to the customer. I use Motorvac - Carbon Clean in delhi, and do atleast 10 cars a day. It will also help you provide a healthy engine life in the long run.

How much does de-carbonisation cost? My honda has completed around 28k kms till now. Recommended ?

What exactly is de-carbonisation? My accord done above 20k so i might as well get it down if its going to help. Also which are the best places to get it down in bombay and also do let me know of the charges and wat basically the prosses is? 10x

De-carbonization is primarily getting ridof the carbon debris which settles down in the intake manifold due to the fuel/air mixture constantly passing through it and sometimes the remains settle down. Nothing big...it's just cleaning the manifold/intake. Use a good carb spray (though your Accord should be having a Fuel Injector) and have your fule injectors cleaned and checked also. You can tell the guys at the Honda Service Station to do it for you. During servicing, oil changes and air filter cleaning would also be standard......Cheers.

need clarification:

carbon clean uses some chemicals which is mixed with petrol and car run at a higher rpm than idle for about 30-45 mts, so its burning the soot off resulting in putting the engine through high temp for the period, will this cause any side affects??

will the sealing on valve and other area be affected coz of the carbon removal??

maruti dealer in mallu land used to recomend the procedure at every 20K..

a mech was giving the gyan sometime back and hence the doubt...

i use Iftex to clean the fuel injection..

occasional flooring of the throttle to remove the carbon and open her up.. stupid of me !!!!

turbo V12: thats just the throttle body decarbonization u are talking about.

The Carbon Clean System works essentially this way: The fuel lines are removed from the engine and is hooked up to the machine which is sortof an alternative fuel pump and pushes the cleaner solvent and pterol mixture into the running engine, the car is kept running for about 15 mins, then a 15mins stop then another 15 mins of pumping, settinng and refitting takes another 15 mins so the whole process is an hour.

During the time the engine is running in the solvent is decarbonizing the deposits from the car right from the beginning of the fuel lines and into the (carbeurettor or injectors) and into the cylinder walls, being burnt like ur regular fuel and leaving the car as a normal exhaust fume. you can very well see the burnt carbon which has been extracted from the engine in the tailpipe which ends up with a smooth black coat of soot. The car should be run for about 5kms after that and then the spark plugs opened and cleaned once (to remove the desposits from the solvent). The engine actualy gets a thorough inside cleaning without doing an overhaul. It is not going to avoid u an overhaul since its still an external procedure, but regular use can definitely help u keep the engines health in good condition, as recommended, every 20k. The main advantages are smoother running of the engine and original compression being restored.

Some people often argue that in high mileage engines the compression is actually aiding increased performance and decarbonization will lead to a loss of compression after the engine has been cleaned. However they do tend to miss the point that the carbon deposits are also around the valves and not just on the head, which actually are decreasing compression in old cars because of non airtight conditions. Before and after compression tests can be done anytime to prove that.

And yeah a good Decarb Spray like the ones by STP that i use are always good for the throttle body alongside which is recommended every 5k (every service), thats seperate from engine decarbonization.

Regards,

Arush

point taken people,

where can i get the carbon clean system procedure (that autopsyche is referring to ) done in bombay ....preferably in the suburbs

or will icemans procedure of just using a good engine flush be good enough

i have just done a oil change and air filter change i was planning to get a K&N but will have to wait a while for that so will i have to go thru it once more if i take the car for decarb

need to know asap

HI,
well ive tried every engine flush in the market, and OWS is one of the best. STP doesnt even come close to OWS. Pick up the OWS Engine Flush formula, make sure your engine is warm, dump in a bottle let the engine idle. The flush process takes about 15 mins. at every 5 minute interval revv up the engine to about 3k and hold for 10 secs. After 15 minutes shut the engine off and have a mech immediately drain the oil and change the oil filter. After complete drain, replace with new filter and a good quality oil. Fire the engine up and see the difference. I recomend yoou guys to use engine flush on newer cars and not on your vintage cars etc. any engine flush contains strong chemicals which loosen grime and carbon, and vintage cars have cork and different material gaskets which can deteriorate.

Cheers
Dom

Hey guys,
where can i get OWS in bombay.
If i put K an N in my palio, will the engine flush affect it?
Thanx for the info Dom.

Hi,
Check last months autocar, and advt is there. It should help out with dealers.

Quote:

If i put K an N in my palio, will the engine flush affect it?
K&N air filter or oil filter?.....

well
if youre talking abt the air filter, it wont make any harm to it whatsoever.

Oil filter: same here no problem at all, the engine flush will remain in your engine for only 15 mins of the flush process, then you have new oil.... so no worries.

Cheers
Dom

well my zen has done 32.5k & ive never done dis. so the next time the car goes for servicing, i'll make sure the engine flushing takes place.

Cool than Dom.
Will get it done when my palio or accord goes for service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by autopsyche
turbo V12: thats just the throttle body decarbonization u are talking about.
Arush

THanx Arush...I appreciate it