Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2008, 22:52   #1
BHPian

topping up engine oil

hi guys,
today i got my car tuned up, so checked my entire car and topped up the engine oil in my car. it has done 2500kms since its oil change.
now my problem is this that i put castrol magnetec and it is a chevrolet optra 1.6 and it takes 3.7ltrs of oil, and he has put in less than 500ml of mineral oil!
i wanna know will there be any problem in my engine. to be honest my engine has become quite smooth and i dont feel any problem in the revving. also the mechanic told me it is not a problem and told me not to bother about it.
please advice as i can go and change the entire engine oil. also incase if i want to flush it out, which are the best engine flushing agents available and when and how to do it?
have heard that u simply add the flushing agent in the engine oil and run it for around 100-200kms and then drain it out.

do i have to get my injectors cleaned? i got them last year and have just clocked 10000kms since then.
pls advice.
Old 24th June 2008, 17:54   #2
BHPian

Bro AFAIK there is no problem if it was just 500ml of mineral oil. But mixing of oil grades/types is not recommended. Ensure that next time you only fill with one grade completely.
Flushing is always a good option if you are using Synthetic Oils.
And 10000kms run - guess its time you cleaned the injectors again-again this depends on the quality of fuel being used and how often you change brands and filling stations.
Fuel is always adultrated in India.
Old 24th June 2008, 21:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Engine flushing should be done after 30K kms. You can use STP Engine flush for the same. And no, you should not run for 100-200 kms after putting engine flush liquid. You have to first drive your car so that its normal running temperature is achieved and then drive to the garage and add engine flush to the hot engine. The idle the car for 15-20 mins and then drain the oil.

As abhik said, mixing of oils of different grades is not recommended. But if it has been done, no harm done and you can go in for your regular change interval. And 500 ml is not a big quantity either.

Injectors are to be cleaned at 20K kms. And follow this rule - 'ain't broke, don't fix it'

Last edited by gd1418 : 24th June 2008 at 21:24.

Most Viewed