Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2008, 16:07   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Tak Tak Sound : Accent Viva CRDi

I am noticing from a couple of days, when i reverse the car and while turning the wheel completely to right, there is a slight noise "Tak Tak" i don't know if this is coming from the steering column or something else. I notice this sound when i take a tight right too ( while parking).

I hadn't gotten my wheel alignment and balance done and thought this could be one of the reason. I got it done today and the sound still persists.

Also, when i press the brake while i am moving slowly down a slope, again during parking in the basement, i hear a faint noise. Not sure, if its just my imagination.

Can someone throw some light on what could be the issue?
Old 25th June 2008, 16:19   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am noticing from a couple of days, when i reverse the car and while turning the wheel completely to right, there is a slight noise "Tak Tak" i don't know if this is coming from the steering column or something else. I notice this sound when i take a tight right too ( while parking).

I hadn't gotten my wheel alignment and balance done and thought this could be one of the reason. I got it done today and the sound still persists.

Also, when i press the brake while i am moving slowly down a slope, again during parking in the basement, i hear a faint noise. Not sure, if its just my imagination.

Can someone throw some light on what could be the issue?
The sound is originating from the front? It looks like a sound that originates from worn out front axle. How may Km has the car done?
Old 25th June 2008, 16:34   #3
BHPian

I faced a similar problem with my Accent, but I am not sure if its the same reason for you. Anyway I thought I will share with you as a food for thought, so you can make sure its not the same reason.

My Accent was parked for more than 8 months in a single place as I had to leave to US at a short notice. Apparently the radials lost some of their strength because of the continuous pressure at single point. I used to get the same noise what you have mentioned, stopped after I replaced the tyre which was weakened.
Old 25th June 2008, 16:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Deepak. I don't think this has anything to do with tyres. I have rotated them too. Let me visit A.S.S and check it up with them.
Old 25th June 2008, 16:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

How many Km has your car done? Anything over 60K and it could be CV joints on the drive shaft.
Old 25th June 2008, 17:15   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
How many Km has your car done? Anything over 60K and it could be CV joints on the drive shaft.
Wow, i don't think it could be anything as serious as that. It has done only 25K till date
Old 25th June 2008, 17:18   #7
BHPian

Check out this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...t-s-sound.html

I think you are referring to the ThunkThunkThunk sound.

I hope it is something else and not that serious!
Old 25th June 2008, 17:21   #8
Team-BHP Support

Avi, this sounds like a problem of worn out joints in the driveshaft or even axles. Normally while buying old preowned cars it is suggested to lock the wheels to either sides and take turn at a slow speed. If you get to hear this sound it is better to opt out as this indicates worn out joints. I wonder why it should happen in your case! But the symptoms are the same. Steering locked to one side and car turning at slow speed makes the Tak Tak (khatt khatt?) noise.
Old 25th June 2008, 17:28   #9
BHPian

This sounds very much like an axle issue. "Tie-rod end" is what i think it is called. A full turn to one side and metallic tak tak is usually this.

Hope you get it repaired soon. The sound can be very irritating.
Old 25th June 2008, 18:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Avi,
I get that tak tak sound on my WagonR when I turn full right at slow speed, and it is indeed the drive shaft. I've been getting it from 20K on the odo.
Old 25th June 2008, 19:13   #11
BHPian

Had the same problem about a year back when my car had done about 5k.I had taken it to the A.S.S and they told me that some part welding had slightly come out,so they had to re-weld the part,It took about half day for the work.

I had this problem of sound coming even when i was taking turn's under normal conditions.The Service advisor spent 1 hr with different mechanics to find out from where the sound was croping up.

So get your checked up by the A.S.S,I think its a minor job.
Old 26th June 2008, 00:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

avi bhai i know your driving style, and its not surprising that this sound has sprung up, like i said get those rubber packings on the joints checked, or have them replaced, and they will surely disappear, my car has done 40K kms+ now, and i have shifted to 195/60-R15 tyres hence the sound, its not that serious at the moment.

but ignore it and it will cost you dearly later on, at the next service do not forget to check them and if the problem is not resolved then change the grease and the packing, it will cause little now. i am gonna do that in the next service.

buddy its just like worn out oil in the engine bay, the oil needs regular change so does this at regular intervals depending on the driving.

EDIT:well apart from spirited driving these things are also caused when the rubber packing on these joints wear off or get cut due to sand and other factors or for some reason there is dust or sand accumilated in it or the metal pieces that have come out as a result of wearing can cause it too. I have seen this in my M800 i thought the issue was quiet serious but washing the grease that was there so far with petrol or diesel, and applying the new grease and packing it again will surely make the edgey difference!

Last edited by rider60 : 26th June 2008 at 00:38.
Old 26th June 2008, 01:22   #13
BHPian

Hey avi, my zen had a similar problem. Its a loud tak tak sound from the front as if someone is hitting your tire with a stick right?

Do one thing, let someone drive your car and you observe the front wheels. Ask him to turn to the extreme right and then if the sound comes, check if the tires are shaking along with the sound. Then its an issue with your axle rod. The groves must have worn out.

For me, I had to change my axle rod and the steering column. Hope this helps.

Last edited by furioussphinx : 26th June 2008 at 01:33. Reason: typo

Most Viewed