Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2008, 21:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Screeching sound in Santro while turning

Hey,

Looks like my ride is starting to give me trouble. Been 3.5 years now, and shes been rock solid trouble free till now, but one by one, the niggles are beginning to show.

So problem is car is running great otherwise, but when I'm turning, especially to the right, at say speeds of 40kmph, the front wheel makes a screeching sound. The Hyundai service center first changed the front struts, and charged me 1200 for each, so a total of 2400 + labour. That did'nt solve the problem.

So I went again and now they claim the sound is on account of the tyres. They have redone the wheel allignment and they're saying the car is pulling slightly to the left on a straight road, inspite of tyre rotation and allignment. They claim its due to uneven wear of the tyre, though none are bald and the tread seems pretty uniform to me.

Anyways, a few more details about the problem incase anyone has faced the issue earlier and can help pinpoint the exact problem.
This does not happen when I'm driving in a straight line. Its not a tak tak sound, its a screeching sound. The brakes are'nt being pressed when the sound comes. I kept my legs folded on the seat when demonstrating this to the mechanic. The brake pads have been checked, and resurfaced. The allignment and balancing has been done 2 days ago. The tyres are Bridgestone stock tyres, done about 35k in about 3.5 years. This problem is recent, started in March, and is not due to the rains, since it occurred first in dry weather. The tyre pressure is correct. The tie rods are fine, Shock absorbers are brand new too. Wheels are stock too.

Will appreciate any help. Car is still with the service center, should be getting it in a day or two.

Cheers,
Lalit
Old 25th June 2008, 21:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Does the car drive absolutely straight if you let go of the steering wheel?
Old 25th June 2008, 22:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Check CV joint rubber cover and see if it is making contact with the inside of the wheel as it rotates. This will squeel big time especially on turns.
Old 25th June 2008, 22:38   #4
BHPian

Try to put a U turn in your car esp in your basement or parking lot. Do you hear the sound this time especially from the outer front wheel ?
Old 26th June 2008, 00:04   #5
BHPian

Could be a case where your rubber has hardenned over time. Drop your pressure a bit and check if problem solves. Else use some borrowed tyres and and check.
Old 26th June 2008, 00:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Is it tyre squeal (like the kind you get when you take curves/corners fast) or some other type of sound?
Old 26th June 2008, 01:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Abhij : The car veers slightly to the left on an absolutely straight road.

DirtyDan: Dont know what a CV is, but will definitely ask the mechanics to check that. Will keep you posted on what they say.

RRAnjith_Kum: Happens intermittently when you take a U turn from standstill, moreso if its a really short turning radius, but then this noise also occurs while taking just a regular right turn during a highway or a regular drive.

Rohan: Thats the next item on my checklist. Will check with slightly lower pressure and possibly with borrowed tyres, although why would that make a noise only when turning? Whats the relationship between hardened rubber and a screeching noise while turning?

Iraghava: It is indeed a tyre squeal, similar to the sound that would come if you were braking hard, although in this case the brakes are'nt being applied and the turn is not very fast either. I'm talking upto speeds of 40kmph
Old 26th June 2008, 01:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well in that case, Rohan is right, the rubber in your tyres has hardened up & there is a general lack of grip in them. It's time for a tyre change on your car.
Old 26th June 2008, 13:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post

DirtyDan: Dont know what a CV is, but will definitely ask the mechanics to check that. Will keep you posted on what they say.
Constant Velocity joint. Your front universals or cross-over joints connecting to your wheels. They usually have a rubber boot covering them. Sometimes that rubber boot can make contact with a turning, rotating wheel and squeal like a stuck pig. But I do not know if this boot is even close to your wheel on this car so.....any neighbors missing their piglets?

Most Viewed