Team-BHP - Car Segmentation
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Car Segmentation (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/41643-car-segmentation.html)

Dear all,

I always wonder on what basis does the car segmentation happen ? on engine size, on legth or price ?

A, A+, B, B+ on what basis are these bifurcated.

cheers,
ac

i think on the basis of price and body style

it is about the style and the built of the car. more info could be found in this link

Car classification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hey guys,

i would like to know the indian style of car segmentation, the mini, super-mini etc are a way of international car segmentation type.

cheers,
ac

A : 800, Alto
A+ : wagonR, Santro, Estilo, Spark, i10, Indica (price)
B : Indica (size), Palio, Getz, U-VA
C: Indigo, Accent, Fiesta, Aveo, NHC, Verna, SX4
D: Corolla, Civic, Optra Magnum
E: higher end - no end!!
SUVs: Safari, Scorpio, Sumo grande

I haven't covered all the cars. Nowadays, its a mixed bag. For eg., where would you put Indigo CS?? C or B+??

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyper123 (Post 883267)
SUVs: Safari, Scorpio, Sumo grande

Is the Sumo Grande being offered with 4WD? The article clearly states 4WD as necessary for SUV classification.
And where do we fit all the Safaris and Scorpios that are 2WD?

I didn't read the wikipedia article, just wrote whatever was relevant to the Indian context and people's thoughts over here.

Maybe we can group the 2WD vehicles like Ford Fusion, Scorpio, Safari, etc under MPV - Multi Purpose Vehicle?

SUVs, strictly speaking - Grand Vitara, CRV, 4WD Safari, Endeavour, Terracan (is it still in production?), Pajero...

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyper123 (Post 883267)
D: Corolla, Civic, Optra Magnum

I'd put these three cars in the C+ segment rather than the D. The true D segmenters are the Accord, Sonata etc. and upward.

Interesting thread. I always wondered in the usual scheme of things where would you fit in the Sumo and the Qualis.
According to the 4WD for SUV classification, they wont fit in the SUV category. But size/shape/engine wise they would logically be classified as SUVs.
But if you look at the usage of these vehicles, transport isnt exactly a Sport or leisure activity. Does the popular usage of the vehicle dictate its classification?

Quote:

Originally Posted by paranoidAndroid (Post 886544)
Interesting thread. I always wondered in the usual scheme of things where would you fit in the Sumo and the Qualis.
According to the 4WD for SUV classification, they wont fit in the SUV category. But size/shape/engine wise they would logically be classified as SUVs.
But if you look at the usage of these vehicles, transport isnt exactly a Sport or leisure activity. Does the popular usage of the vehicle dictate its classification?

I think based on usage they would be more correctly classified as commercial passenger vehicles or something

SIAM has announced a new classification from August 1st