Team-BHP - What's the facts under Suzuki SX4?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   What's the facts under Suzuki SX4? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/41792-whats-facts-under-suzuki-sx4.html)

Dear all, I'm planning to buy a Suzuki SX4 hatch and actually already commit to buying it... However, the all new Honda Jazz came in messing my resolve and I'm in dire pit of confusion right now. Well, considering that the SX4 is quite unique and it is actually produced in India, I have some questions regarding the car.

First of all, the SX4 model available in my country is the SX4 X-Over, SX4 X-Road and SX4 sedan under the name of Neo Baleno. The X-Over and the X-Road essentially is the SX4 hatch with the X-Over presenting the better equipped model and the X-Road is the "undressed" version. The engine used throughout the model range is the same 1.5L VVT M15A, all FWD with the X-Over sporting 16" wheels while the rest uses 15".

Then I have some questions... What kind of VVT mechanism the M15A have? Is it cam changing like VTEC or cam phasing like VVT-i? And why it only produces 100ps and 133nm of torque? Quite small compared to the competition (Toyota/Honda).

Is the automatic transmission still the same as Aerio? My friend told me that the SX4 uses the same old 4AT transmission with gear hunting tendency on upward/downward slopes. Unlike Honda Grade Logic Control or Toyota similar Super-ECT system.

And finally... Why the SX4 hatch is so heavy? At 1,21 ton, it tips the scale of city car weight. Not so good for fuel consumption.

So here's my short analysis. The engine is basically the same (code name wise) with Japanese Swift and SX4 which sports 110ps and 143nm of torque. To accomodate with bad quality of Indonesian fuel, Suzuki dumb down the ECU and thus the power to optimally run using bad fuel. No problem there, M15A also runs on 1:9,5 compression ratio, so it will run good with lower grade fuel (the Jazz runs on 1:10,4 compression ratio).

And that's it basically... I know nothing of the SX4 in general... Before, I downloaded repair manuals for cars that I wanted to buy. Honda Jazz, Toyota Yaris, and Suzuki Swift. I know more from repair manuals than sales person or over hyped brochure/advertisement of the cars. However, the SX4 is unique, it is available in 1.5L FWD trim in some parts of the world, and none speaks english. So what else can I do then to ask the masters where the car is made.

The new Jazz entice me with its 120ps engine and 5AT transmission... But since I'm going to buy a car that will last quite a while, I'm also wanting to buy something more "bullet proof". Well, with the logic that the M15A has been around for quite a while, there's no way in hell there's a problem Suzuki couldn't fix. I'm just afraid that Jazz's new engine and transmission will have teething problem.

I am not sure whether you are getting the SX4 hatch from India, because here only SX4 Sedan version is made and we get 1.6 ltr 102 bhp output which has been tuned for India.
I hope SX4 doesn't have VTEC though it uses M16 new engine.

I am not a techy person and so I just post the Tech specs of Indian SX4 Sedan.
Engine Specifications:
16V DOHC, 4 cylinders, 16 valves, 1586cc M-Series Engine
102Bhp @ 5500 RPM, 145Nm @ 4200 RPM
DRIVE by WIRE technology

50L Fuel tank capacity

Suspension, wheels & tires:
Front:
Independent Suspension with gas filled McPherson strut & anti roll bar
Rear:
Semi independent Torsion Beam with gas filled shock absorbers
Tubeless Tyres: 205/60 R16 Alloys
Ventilated Disc (front)
Drum (rear)

Interior :
EPS
Climate Control
Electrically adjustable ORVM
Printed Antena in rear windshield
Integrated Music Player (MP3, WMA, CD)
Stereo controls in steering wheel/Remote
4 speakers + 2 Tweeters
Central Locking
505 litres boot space

Exterior:
1200 Kg kerb weight
L-B-H = 4490mm - 1725mm - 1560mm
Ground Clearance - 190mm
Safety & Security:
SRS dual airbags
ABS + EBD
PRE-TENSIONERS & FORCE LIMITER Seat belts
Child lock rear door
iCAT
Doorlock Canceller
Speed sensitive Locking after 20kmph

Go for the Jazz, as good as the SX 4 is, it can't match the Honda in terms of quality, class and smoothness plus the al round reliability, Jazz is the top selling car in its class in US and UK, recently in UK it was awarded the most reliable car award.

HI
I AM narry i live in china same model sx4 hatch back i buy it and is a very bad quality i think in western countries have much better quality than in china indonesia
honda is the best bet for u
this is my opinion
regards
narry:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopinathann
because here only SX4 Sedan version is made and we get 1.6 ltr 102 bhp output which has been tuned for India.

Well, actually, Suzuki Indonesia already locally assembled the SX4. I asked because when I gathered some information about the SX4, it listed India as one of its pioneer plants (the pioneers I found are India, Japan, and Hungary) to produce the car. So probably there's some information I can dig here.

The locally assembled SX4 is too, tuned for Indonesia, with M15A producing 100ps and 133nm of torque. What I'm interested is in how they tuned/detuned it? I mean, M15A is basically the same engine found on the Japanese M15A, but it produces 110ps with 143nm of torque. So I wonder how Suzuki manage to tuned/detuned respective engines... Just a different ECU or different engine components altogether?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurkha
Go for the Jazz, as good as the SX 4 is, it can't match the Honda in terms of quality, class and smoothness plus the al round reliability, Jazz is the top selling car in its class in US and UK, recently in UK it was awarded the most reliable car award.

Arrggghhh... Just what I'm afraid... More encouraging words for the Jazz... You know, it took me almost three months to convince myself to buy the SX4 :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by narry
very bad quality i think in western countries have much better quality than in china indonesia

Well, can't argue there... Of the two brand, Honda always came up on top regarding quality. The interior quality of the SX4 is a bit bland... I do however, prefer its simplistic dashboard layout.

Well, I do haven't test driven the new Jazz yet. It will comes down to that moment only. My personal reason to buy the SX4 also regarding my physical fitness. With a peach shape hip... I know... I have a hip of a woman... Anyway, the seating position on the old Jazz (the car that I drove now) is atrocious on long commute time. So frequently, the car gave me back ache.

After test driving the SX4, I was quite ecstatic with the seating position. It is clearly superior to the old Jazz.

then go for SX4, all the best.

the Suzuki M16A engine available in Indian SX4 is directly imported from Japan and does not have Variable-valve timing (VVT), and only produces about 102 bhp. The one available in Europe and China (both FWD sedans and FWD hatch) have VVT technology.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iTNerd (Post 887672)
the Suzuki M16A engine available in Indian SX4 is directly imported from Japan and does not have Variable-valve timing (VVT)

Strange, I saw on Maruti Suzuki website that no VVT is mentioned. However, it is the same M series engine and it's drive by wire. All I know is that M series engine are standard to have VVT on all model, ranging from the 1.3, 1.5, 1.6, and to 1.8. It's the same with last generation of Suzuki Aerio in Indonesia. It has VVT but Suzuki Indonesia didn't advertise it. Only after the midcycle refresh that Suzuki put VVT gimmick on its advertising.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midi_Amp (Post 887779)
Strange, I saw on Maruti Suzuki website that no VVT is mentioned. However, it is the same M series engine and it's drive by wire. All I know is that M series engine are standard to have VVT on all model, ranging from the 1.3, 1.5, 1.6, and to 1.8. It's the same with last generation of Suzuki Aerio in Indonesia. It has VVT but Suzuki Indonesia didn't advertise it. Only after the midcycle refresh that Suzuki put VVT gimmick on its advertising.

but over here its a known fact that the engine dosent have vvt. if it did it would put out 107bhp i think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 887795)
but over here its a known fact that the engine dosent have vvt. if it did it would put out 107bhp i think.

Yes, I've checked at globalsuzuki.com website and it is stated clearly that there are no VVT M16A on some region. Strange... Why would they do that? It is clear that VVT gives better power and with the valve timing, better fuel consumption. I'm dead curious why they took it off from the M16A.

In Indonesia, the CBU SX4 has VVT mechanism, as the oil valve control module can be seen clearly on the left side of the engine block. Still, the power is 100ps, down from 110ps of its original spec. Probably Suzuki detuned it by the use of ECU management. Haven't look at the CKD version though, but supposed to be the same.

I own SX4 ZXi for last one and half years and can tell you that it’s an absolute fun to drive. Recently I was pleasantly surprised to get call from the dealer from where I had bought my car. It was an invite to some treasure hunt and performance drive event where all the SX4 owners could come and participate. Well…quite an awesome way to spend the weekend. Needless to say I agreed and participated. It began with a treasure hunt. We were briefed to reach to the final destination correctly with the help of cues given to us at each stop. The route was superb. It wasn’t only a smooth tarred road but included rough patches, water and slush. I was overjoyed as these are the conditions when SX4 performs the best. No matter how rough the terrain, SX4 clears almost every stone or boulder that’s there in the way and it’s big and wide tyres never lose the grip no matter what they went on. Thus mud, slush were welcome. The heavy rains added to the fun. Though I was lost a couple of times as I misjudged the cues but who cares…I was there for the fun and I had loads of it. Finally I made it to the final destination and was glad that wasn’t the last one to reach there..

The final stop was Synthite Grounds in Panagand which was set up like a rally track and to our surprise we were introduced to Lohit Urs, the current MRF driver and former National Champion. It was a privilege to see him performing on the track with the SX4…. I also got the chance to interact with the champion and even drove a few laps with him (wow!).

There are no words to describe the power-packed performance that was on display…uploading a few pics for all of you to see and enjoy!!