Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2008, 15:04   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Santro : Hard to shift 1st & 2nd gear

Well, you may remember that my friend bought a Santro GL on 28th April 2008 and I bought a wagonR on 12 May 2008 after a brief discussion here on team-bhp.

My friend has driven his Santro for 1250kms so far. Overall he is happy with the car, but he is facing problem with the gears. The 1st and 2nd gear are very very hard and he finds it really a pain in the city traffic. He had the first service at "Safdarjung Service Station" and has visited them twice more for the gear issue.

The service supervisor told him that this is because the car is new and will go away after driving for some more time. Otherwise they will look into it at the time of second service.

Has anyone faced a similer problem? (Atleast I havent with my wagonR).

Another thing is, his fe is around 13.5 in city with 50% AC. Is it normal?
Old 1st July 2008, 22:55   #2
BHPian

hi caragey,
well santro has the problem of hard gears in the begining but they loosen up or rather get smooth with time. and yeah 13.5 is e good average for city driving
Old 2nd July 2008, 00:29   #3
BHPian

Sounds like syncros. But is it possible on a new car?
Old 2nd July 2008, 01:19   #4
BHPian

I got my Santro Xo around 4k Km done. Even i am facing the same issue, had been to the service center the reply is it will get smooth by time . I am wondering is 4k not good enough ? Sometimes i also have issues shifting in reverse
Old 2nd July 2008, 09:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is news to me. One of the main reasons I chose a Santro was the supersmooth gearshift. I've bought the car in 05 and still impressed with the gears. I only experience a slight grating sound in reverse at times. But thats getting smoother with time. Hardly even experience it these days.
Old 2nd July 2008, 10:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

same opinion like 'Lalvaz'.
For me, santro gearshifts were butter smooth from day one. My neighbour was surprised about gearshifts being so smooth when he test drove it on day one, he asked is this a new car?

Coming back to your problem, are you/your friend sure that clutch is working correctly and does not have any play.

FE figures are normal/appropriate for city driving.
Old 2nd July 2008, 10:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
same opinion like 'Lalvaz'.
For me, santro gearshifts were butter smooth from day one. My neighbour was surprised about gearshifts being so smooth when he test drove it on day one, he asked is this a new car?

Coming back to your problem, are you/your friend sure that clutch is working correctly and does not have any play.

FE figures are normal/appropriate for city driving.
Yes clutch is working perfectly and was checked by service guys twice. In fact I was surprised when I took a drive on his car because "Butter smoot" gearshift was one major argument everyone gave while reccomanding a Santro.
Old 2nd July 2008, 11:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

suggest your friend to check up with other dealer's service workshop.
Old 2nd July 2008, 14:32   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Best for your friend to hold the complaints until another couple of thousand kilometers. The gearbox should surely loosen up with time. In the meanwhile, maybe he could drive another new Santro and compare the shift quality?
Old 2nd July 2008, 15:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Agey View Post
My friend has driven his Santro for 1250kms so far. Overall he is happy with the car, but he is facing problem with the gears. The 1st and 2nd gear are very very hard and he finds it really a pain in the city traffic. He had the first service at "Safdarjung Service Station" and has visited them twice more for the gear issue.
Has anyone faced a similer problem? (Atleast I havent with my wagonR).
Another thing is, his fe is around 13.5 in city with 50% AC. Is it normal?
I have a similar issue with my Xing (sept 2003-45,000 km on ODO). The clutch plate was changed when it was @ 43,000 km on ODO. In addition to notchy 1st and 2nd gear, I have also observed that, when in these 2 gears, the car seriuosly cries for power. Once in 3rd gear and above, she just zipps ahead.Butter smooth.
The FE in your friend's car seems alright. I get @ 13 in city with 50% AC. I use normal petrol with 15 ml Acetone per 10 Lit. (I guess NOT advisable for new cars)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
I only experience a slight grating sound in reverse at times. But thats getting smoother with time. Hardly even experience it these days.
I too sometimes get that sound . Easiest way to avoid grinding of gears is to put it in 1st gear, move forward for 1-2 ft and then put in reverse.
Old 4th July 2008, 15:06   #11

Shift problems

Hi

I also had the same prob during the intial 5k. Now i can realy feel like knife through butter while shift gears in my santro GL.

Dont worry you will also feel the same soon
Old 27th October 2009, 14:58   #12

I have never driven any Santro with good gearshift. Mine has a problem and all my friends' Santro have the gearshift problems. Santros just don't have crisp or smooth gearshift. They are wobbly and imprecise.
Old 27th October 2009, 16:24   #13
BHPian

I had problems engaging the 2nd gear of my corsa. A lot of garages incl A.S.S came out with its the clutch plate..gear box etc. All of them gave a heart breaking figure (quite a few thousands).

My friend sugested a road side mechanic. He opened the hood, asked me to engage different gears and commented ' its bush ' sirrrr... While I waited he did something to it and presto a couple of hundred rupees and it was fixed .

He wouldnt tell me what he did ' sir, what will happen to my business if I told you, you will not come to me and fix the car yourself in future ' and he chuckled lol

Most Viewed