Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2016, 21:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Poor reliability of my TUV300 - Now, fuel pump failure

Mahindra normally uses Bosch, but who is the supplier in this case? Bosch, Delco, or somebody else?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 21:49   #47
Senior - BHPian

^^
Most likely Bosch.

I think it's a one-off case (feel free to correct me) and you are just damn unlucky.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 22:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

was your car subject to the FDM recall? any relation to that part?
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 23:37   #49
BHPian

I had a fuel pump failure on my Swift when I drove over a speed breaker at about 90kmph. Everyone hit the roof and fell back. It failed the next morning. The car ran for about 20km after the bump and just dropped dead in the parking of a hotel the next morning. I wonder if it were the bump now. I know this is OT as it is another car altogether but since you mentioned the bump yourself I thought would write about my experience.
diyguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 08:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
But I have lost all confidence in M&M. What of this happened when I was in some really remote area. How can fuel pump fail just like that in a 14K done car!
Very sad to know about this fuel pump issue you faced but happy that MASC diagnosed it correctly and replaced the pump under warranty. Crossing a hump @ 40 kmph should not disturb the fuel pump. Since this is the first instance of a fuel pump failure reported for a TUV (and that too due to the car taking a shock of crossing a hump), I won't go to the extent of calling it a reliability issue, but yes I agree that M&M should have provided a more robust design. This can be a common phenomenon on our roads. Given the fact that M&M vehicles are abuse friendly and mostly preferred for rough road usage, M&M and the fuel pump manufacturer should seriously reconsider the pump design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
That is sad. Mahindra cars have been known for their reliability, especially in less than ideal driving conditions.
Did you get any indication of what caused the failure? Could it be due to poor fuel quality? I've heard that particles in the fuel or water could lead to this.
I agree about your comment, but here the issue is not caused due to bad fuel quality but the sudden shock of crossing the hump at more than desired speed, which seems to have unsettled the pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
If possible, please post a picture of failed part here. Fuel pumps are not meant to fail so early.
I agree, pictures help a lot.

Quote:
Since I didn't pay for the part, service station didn't give me the replaced part. The bill clearly mentions fuel pump replacement.
So true, parts replaced under warranty are never given to the customer. They are returned to the OEM for further analysis and finding the root cause of failure. I am sure Ntomer's pump must have been dispatched to the pump manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Mahindra normally uses Bosch, but who is the supplier in this case? Bosch, Delco, or somebody else? Regards Sutripta
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
^^
Most likely Bosch.

I think it's a one-off case (feel free to correct me) and you are just damn unlucky.
Both of you are probably right. The 3 cylinder engines probably use the Low Cost Common Rail (LCCR) System from M/s. BOSCH. Refer page# 17 in the attached document on "Case study on developing 3 cylinder 1.5 Liter cost efficient diesel engine"

MahindraNewMUV3Cyl.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I had a fuel pump failure on my Swift when I drove over a speed breaker at about 90kmph. Everyone hit the roof and fell back. It failed the next morning. The car ran for about 20km after the bump and just dropped dead in the parking of a hotel the next morning. I wonder if it were the bump now. I know this is OT as it is another car altogether but since you mentioned the bump yourself I thought would write about my experience.
Thank you diyguy for sharing your experience. Your case seems to be more or less similar to what Ntomer has experienced. The common rail and new generation fuel pumps seem to be more complicated by nature of their design. They have now become more susceptible to damages from bad fuel quality or unwanted shocks. In your case too was the pump replaced under warranty?
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 08:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

This is the first I am hearing of fuel pump failing so quickly. Can you ask them for pictures? I understand they would not have given you the part since it was replaced under warranty and manufacturer guidelines might dictate that it is held by them for further analysis. I am sure the service center would have taken pictures of the part for approval or documentation purposes. If you could ask the service manager to share them that would be great.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 09:23   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
was your car subject to the FDM recall? any relation to that part?
No FDM recall for my car. And I doubt it had anything to do with fuel pump failure, otherwise the SA would have surely mentioned that.
Old 23rd August 2016, 16:17   #53
BHPian

Re: Poor reliability of my TUV300 - Now, fuel pump failure

Quote:
Last Saturday (20the Aug), I was birding in jungles of Mangar-Bani (Aravalis, off Gurgaon-Faridabad road). There I crossed a small bump at about 40 kmph. Immediately an "Engine!" light started blinking, car lost all power and engine died. I cranked the car, and engine started with trouble. But there was no power and car just won't move ahead.

But I have lost all confidence in M&M. What of this happened when I was in some really remote area. How can fuel pump fail just like that in a 14K done car!
Bad luck, ntomer. Fuel pumps are not meant to and should not fail when a car takes a bump at high speeds. Did you drive the TUV with low fuel, and the 'low fuel' light blinking ?
I had a fuel pump failure on my RE thunderbird 500, and that would have been due to riding with low fuel in the tank. The TB500 tank did not run dry, but we were on a long stretch with no fuel station in sight. The low fuel light had come on, but luckily before the tank ran dry, I managed to top up fuel. Around 1000 km running after that incident, the fuel pump went kaput. Had to get it replaced.

Quote:
No FDM recall for my car. And I doubt it had anything to do with fuel pump failure, otherwise the SA would have surely mentioned that.
As far as I know, M&M have so far not recalled any of the TUVs for the issues that the owners are facing. Whenever you go to the service station for some other purpose, they do the replacement. My TUV was not called in for any replacements till date. It was only when I took the vehicle to the service station for other issues that the vacuum modulator was replaced, the FDM was replaced, the ECU updated etc etc.
That is the DESI way of recalls.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 20:44   #54
BHPian

Quote:
I own a TUV300 in T8 trim - the earlier model, not the new 100 bhp one. I bought it in Dec-15 and it has done 14,500 kms. I mainly drive it to my birding excursions and out station trips,.....
This is not the first case of fuel pump going kaput in TUV. This has happened with one of my known when he was in the middle of his 1000 km journey.

Suddenly he felt loss of power and engine stalling but he managed to get fuel and kept fuel level to full till he managed to reach service center.

Keeping fuel level to full avoids using fuel pump and you will not feel the problem due to faulty pump.

Mahindra very well knows this problem but still no public recall has been made.

As per customer service zonal head of north west, a public recall is made when there is complete stalling of vehicle or a threat to occupants lives. Now who is going to tell them thats is a threat only when your TUV stops in the middle of the jungle with no network.

Last edited by ezee : 23rd August 2016 at 20:53.
ezee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 20:52   #55
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fuel Pump Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
Keeping fuel level to full avoids using fuel pump and you will not feel the problem due to faulty pump.
So we are talking of the transfer/ feed pump, not the CR pump?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 6th May 2019, 11:16   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

I drive a WagonR K10 which has done ~79k kms. Yesterday I came back from a ~1700 kms round trip without any issue.

Today morning when I moved the key to ON and the pump started priming, I could hear a squeak sound. The sound was there for a second followed by the normal priming "whoosh" sound. I switched off and on 4 times and the sound was still there but was reducing with every subsequent priming. Then I drove for about 10 kms and then tried again in office just after reaching. There's no sound to heard now after the drive. Any pointers what the issue could be?

There's about 80% fuel in the tank right now. As per habit, I always tank up when the fuel level falls to around 15-20%. The car is otherwise running perfectly fine and starts at 1st crank every time.
Old 6th May 2019, 12:13   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I drive a WagonR K10 which has done ~79k kms. Yesterday I came back from a ~1700 kms round trip without any issue.

Today morning when I moved the key to ON and the pump started priming, I could hear a squeak sound. The sound was there for a second followed by the normal priming "whoosh" sound. I switched off and on 4 times and the sound was still there but was reducing with every subsequent priming. Then I drove for about 10 kms and then tried again in office just after reaching. There's no sound to heard now after the drive. Any pointers what the issue could be?

There's about 80% fuel in the tank right now. As per habit, I always tank up when the fuel level falls to around 15-20%. The car is otherwise running perfectly fine and starts at 1st crank every time.
This is absolutely normal, i see the same happening in my zens.I do not think this is anything to worry about.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 12:38   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
This is absolutely normal, i see the same happening in my zens.I do not think this is anything to worry about.
Thanks for your response.

You mean the squeak sound while the pump starts priming, is completely normal? The sound was loud and distinct. Till date, the priming sound for my car was low "whoosh" normal sound only. It's only today that I heard this additional sound which felt like a bad bearing somewhere. Hence these queries.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks