Team-BHP - Car not starting
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Car not starting (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/41998-car-not-starting.html)

Hello Guys, I need your help before I head to srevice center.
Yesterday while returing from office, My ICE went dead, after some time as I was about to enter my building I notice that my head lamps has dimmed and i had difficulty in parking the car. as i was about to park the car the engine went dead.I tried starting the car , it just refuses to start, I had to push the car to park.
I went home praising my luck that car got into problem in my building, had my dinner, and again went down to check on my car,I started my car and vola it started, I tried my head light it was working good , and also my ICE, I started my AC and it was working fine, I also check wheather my engine has heated up, but no it was not.
Now all you great guys request you please give me feedback as to what would have happen before I head to service center.
My car is 2002 Zen LXI, and all service has been done at MASS and that too on time.total KM is 60K.

Go to the A.S.S and check if any ECU codes were generated. But mostly seems like electrical problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by udaydesai (Post 891861)
Yesterday while returing from office, My ICE went dead, after some time as I was about to enter my building I notice that my head lamps has dimmed and i had difficulty in parking the car. as i was about to park the car the engine went dead.I tried starting the car , it just refuses to start, I had to push the car to park.
I went home praising my luck that car got into problem in my building, had my dinner, and again went down to check on my car,I started my car and vola it started, I tried my head light it was working good , and also my ICE, I started my AC and it was working fine, I also check wheather my engine has heated up, but no it was not.
Now all you great guys request you please give me feedback as to what would have happen before I head to service center.
My car is 2002 Zen LXI, and all service has been done at MASS and that too on time.total KM is 60K.

Quote:

Originally Posted by udaydesai (Post 891861)

The same thing happened to my relative in A'bad in Wagon R. The service center told that this is electrical problem.

Sound like a electrical issue, maybe a coupler/connector gone loose, battery terminal problem etc etc. Get to A S S and ask them to do a thorough check up of electricals explaining the issues. Also since you mentioned your ICE going down first, check wiring for ICE also. For any leakage or short circuits.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 891999)
Sound like a electrical issue, maybe a coupler/connector gone loose, battery terminal problem etc etc. Get to A S S and ask them to do a thorough check up of electricals explaining the issues. Also since you mentioned your ICE going down first, check wiring for ICE also. For any leakage or short circuits.

Also check if any residual collection has formed on the Battery terminals. If yes, have them cleaned with water and sand paper and then smear some petroleum Jelly (Vaselin)over it. This also happens when the battery demands frequent distill water top-ups, which means the battery is over charging. Have your Alternater checked for charging Amps. It could be throwing out excess current at higher RPMs.

So long....

Thx for the reply, If my car is having electrical then why did it start after sometime, I do agree that my battery connection is dirty with some residu on it. May be its that reason, or my car was used very less last month,I usually take our my car every day and on weekdays I am off to a long drives, of late the frequency of my trips has reduce. Is this the reason or one of my friend has suggested that water may the the reason.
can any one clearfy this.
uday

I've had a very similar incident with my M800. The worst about that was it stopped bang in middle of a bridge!
The issue was 100% electrical. I had to check my alternator and it was faulty. Got it rectified from a local mechanic and it was all back to normal.

Get your car checked up as soon as possible at a good workshop/A.S.S.

Thx for all the sugesstion, It was my alternator that was faulty,MASS has quoted 500-600 RS, and I also going for full paid service of my car as I am always on move.One more help is required from you all guys, I am always travelling on Mumbai - Goa road and if my car breakdown then is the number provided by maruti helpfull. Has any one tried calling on maruti helpline.
uday

This happened to me on Saturday night itself. Its like a horror movie, the lights going off, power windows failing, Ac stops functioning, got some jerks in car as in shortage of fuel...

Its a electrical problem for sure, but not sure what exactly it might be..

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shashank.A (Post 893643)
This happened to me on Saturday night itself. Its like a horror movie, the lights going off, power windows failing, Ac stops functioning, got some jerks in car as in shortage of fuel...

The best way to avoid these problem is to ensure that the battery never runs dry. I suggest that you check the distilled water level in your car atleast once a month, especially when you are using the AC, power Windows and Central locking or even a music system with an Amplifier. Central locking takes away a lot of juice from the battery. It is equally important to see that the terminals are fixed firmly on to the battery.

So long....

Quote:

Originally Posted by varunroy (Post 892101)
This also happens when the battery demands frequent distill water top-ups, which means the battery is over charging. Have your Alternater checked for charging Amps. It could be throwing out excess current at higher RPMs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by udaydesai (Post 892127)
I usually take our my car every day and on weekdays I am off to a long drives,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shashank.A (Post 893643)

It appears that the Diode / rectifier has failed in the alternator. That would lead to all the above symptons. Please have it replaced!

Quote:

Originally Posted by varunroy (Post 894826)
The best way to avoid these problem is to ensure that the battery never runs dry. I suggest that you check the distilled water level in your car atleast once a month, especially when you are using the AC, power Windows and Central locking or even a music system with an Amplifier. Central locking takes away a lot of juice from the battery. It is equally important to see that the terminals are fixed firmly on to the battery.

I doubt, you can avoid these issues. A good thumbrule is to replace battery every two years or so. But in modern cars, they even last upto 4 years :Shockked:

The battery is new one, however I was going somewhere on Saturday and the red light battery indicator was constantly on. Which meant that battery was not being charged. And since it was night, I had to use the headlights and after some time the battery simply failed and all the problems that I mentioned earlier happned then.

In the morning it had to be push started once, and after that its working fine.I drove it around 450Km y'day and sometimes for few seconds the red battery indicator still went on. but it was few seconds here and there so I did not worry a lot.

Earlier as well I am facing some problems with the charging. I guess we need around 13V or more for effective charging. But that is the issue with my car, with AC on it gave only 12.5 volts. And now the mechanic has set the RPM too high, and I can drive at over 25kmps in 3/4 gear without even touching the accelerator when the AC is on. This is severally affecting the FE of the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shashank.A (Post 894880)
The battery is new one, however I was going somewhere on Saturday and the red light battery indicator was constantly on. Which meant that battery was not being charged. And since it was night, I had to use the headlights and after some time the battery simply failed and all the problems that I mentioned earlier happned then.

In the morning it had to be push started once, and after that its working fine.I drove it around 450Km y'day and sometimes for few seconds the red battery indicator still went on. but it was few seconds here and there so I did not worry a lot.

Earlier as well I am facing some problems with the charging. I guess we need around 13V or more for effective charging. But that is the issue with my car, with AC on it gave only 12.5 volts. And now the mechanic has set the RPM too high, and I can drive at over 25kmps in 3/4 gear without even touching the accelerator when the AC is on. This is severally affecting the FE of the car.

Please attend as soon as possible to the underlined items in your quote!

a) Never ignore the charging light, even if its for few secs if it happens regularly.
b) Alternator overhaul is a simple job and not very costly on a maruti, and if its done properly will last really long.
c) Avoiding a & b and get stranded in middle of ANY road is NOT worth it.

Head to the reliable A S S and get it fixed asap.

@ Shasshank.A: if the diode / rectifier circuit in the alternator fails, then your battery will not charge. That is why the red light was constantly on. In such cases, use the HL conservatively.

Get the recitifier assembly changed fast!

Rectifier Assembly...hmm..any Idea about the cost..its a 97 esteem (carb)...

Secondly the light was constantly on only once. When I was driving on Sunday it came on for few seconds several times, is it possible it might be a case of some loose connection.

Last I time I got it checked, the voltage that my alternator was releasing was higher then what my battery was getting, so the mechanic put an additional wire, directly from the alternator to battery terminal.

And after the wire was put, after than only the battery indicator light has started to respond..