Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2008, 14:07   #16
Team-BHP Support

Problem Solved!

After trying with another relay when problem still persisted, the mechanic tried to trace the wiring in engine Bay. Now the fuse was blowing immediately instead of after some use. He connected the condenser directory, and it was working fine.
So the only way left was to open the dashboard
And Voila the short was there. Near the stereo there is an iron bracket to hold the AC blower and stuff. It has a sharp edge. The AC wire was cut there, and while driving during jerks and stuff it would touch the edge, and hence the fuse would blow.
Many other wires were also on the verge of getting cut. So he fixed cable ties etc., properly put electrical tape multiple layers around the wires, and re-arranged the wires also.
I had also complained about air flow and less than adequate cooling(not as much as a new car) even after gas recharge.
When he opened up the blower area, all the cooling coils were covered in dirt and grime(6 years of usage does wonders).

He went to an AC guy and they said they can clean it only after removing the assembly, so gas loss would be there and recharging is 800rs minimum.
So in a fix he decided to do the job himself.
Bought a chemical bottle(cleaning chemical used by shops) for 260rs, and found an old fuel pump lying in his box.
Filled up a clean tray with water and put it under the assembly.
Connected fuel pump to battery and put its suction filter inside the tray, and started washing the cooling coil system vent by vent.
After an entire bottle of chemical solvent, few bottles of surf in water and then a few bottles of clean water, the cooling coil assembly(from which the blower draws air) was clean!
The he refitted the blower etc.,
The Blower assembly
AC fuse blowing after some time-image002.jpg
View of the dash. Finish levels are apalling but surprise surprise, the car has a rat grill factory fitted. The mechanic told me that most cars do not have this and rats can get in the cars in areas where infestation is there.
AC fuse blowing after some time-image001.jpg

After the entire cleaning process and fitting the blower the dashborad refitting started.
To put things in perspective, the work started around 11:30am, and the blower was fitted back around 5:30pm(1 hour for drying coils).
By 9:30 the dashboard was put in place.
Total 10 hours time with 7-8 hours of hard labor.
Charge including the chemical bottle came to 1250rs(rolls of tape, elfy etc., included).

The Results were amazing. AC was feeling cold. Real new showroom car cold. I never expected a cleaning to yield such drastic results!
Since yesterday no Fuse trips, and everything is working fine! There is slight smell because carpet got a little wet, so she's parked in sun with windows slightly open.
But the slight foul smell from AC is gone completely.
I guess once in 5 years a dashboard opening and coil cleaning job is a must considering the dusty environments we live in!
Old 18th July 2008, 20:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

congrats tsk..I'm glad you sorted the short! Happy driving..
Old 19th July 2008, 01:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

tsk, good to know that your problem is solved!

I would very much expect considerable improvement upon cleaning cooling coil. Because it is meant for heat transfer from air flowing through it into refrigerant, and if it is full of grime then it's efficiency would be reduced drastically because it would not only obstruct the air flow, but also lower the amount of heat transferred. The same can be expected in case of condenser. Good part about condenser is that it is easily reachable and washable with water. But in case of cooling coil (evaporator), or heater core for that matter, it seems to be quite tough. While I was reading about it in service manual of my car, I realized that these parts are not only hidden under dash, but also inside additional casings of their own. Moreover, we have to recover refrigerant in order to take out the cooling coil (and drain engine coolant before taking out the heater core!). This is quite a task, and I don't think one should even try to do this without special tools and professional help.

I am curious, how did you get to the cooling coil? I guess it should be located inside big black plastic box on the left, seen in your first snap. Was that casing opened?
Old 19th July 2008, 02:39   #19
Team-BHP Support

Yes the casing was opened, but the cooling coil etc., was nor removed. Unless you remove the assembly, gas does not leak.
Old 19th July 2008, 08:16   #20
Team-BHP Support

Nice stuff TSK!!

Can you point out exactly where the rat-grill is in the pic if its visible?

cya
R
Old 19th July 2008, 09:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes the casing was opened, but the cooling coil etc., was nor removed. Unless you remove the assembly, gas does not leak.
Is it something that can be done on our own without removing the dash, or no way? May be removing glove box and even a couple of parts behind it should be OK, but disassembling steering/whole dash is certainly beyond DIY for most people. I think so mainly because that would involve disconnecting pretty much every control and display light.
Old 19th July 2008, 12:20   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Nice stuff TSK!!

Can you point out exactly where the rat-grill is in the pic if its visible?

cya
R
Nope, its deep inside. Not visible at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Is it something that can be done on our own without removing the dash, or no way? May be removing glove box and even a couple of parts behind it should be OK, but disassembling steering/whole dash is certainly beyond DIY for most people. I think so mainly because that would involve disconnecting pretty much every control and display light.
No ways!! The dash is one big unit. And fitting the dash is a big job. If not done properly(wrong connections) you can have shorts etc.,
Even if you somehow manage to wire everything up properly, if the alignment is out of hand, you will have rattles. My mechanic took great care at every stage of reassembly by shaking the car vigorously to check for any rattles.
After the job all the irritating rattles have vanished
Old 20th July 2008, 09:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer bhai,

Your passion for the Indica despite its sautan being on the way, is impressive

Most Viewed