Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2013, 14:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Indica Vista Check Engine Light: FIXED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
Oops, made a boo-boo. Balaji was the one we took the car to later. So Balaji did good work... GEORGE AUTO is the one that tried to con us! The advisor that tried to pull the wool over our eyes is a certain Mr. Digambar, while the good one at Balaji is Mr. Hussein.

Again, sorry for the mix-up! It just struck me now, the GB road SC was good... worth the travel and time. Just make sure you take an appointment, it's smaller than George.
Oh, thanks for the clarification! Had been to George Auto twice for the Oil change at 10k and 20k kms, got the job done standing by the car, nothing else needed to be checked so dint face any issue. In that case then will keep my booking ON for Saturday at Balaji.
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:53   #32
BHPian

Check Engine Light is on- Tata Vista TDi

Dear friends,

My Tata India Vista TDI which has run around 69K Km has the "Check engine signal on" However whenever i touch speeds around 50+ the signal goes off. I took it to TASC, they were not able to solve it. I am now planning to go to the Concorde TASC.

What do you think is the problem? The engine is running smooth, no missing, no drop in mileage etc?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 23rd September 2013, 15:14   #33
BHPian

Re: Check Engine Light is on- Tata Vista TDi

Just heard from a friend that the problem might be with the nozzle. If this is true would not there be some problem with the engine, some variations at least?
Old 24th September 2013, 12:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Just heard from a friend that the problem might be with the nozzle. If this is true would not there be some problem with the engine, some variations at least?
Get the injector nozzle cleaned. Or use a system D for a tankful and see if the light still comes on.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 12:53   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear friends,

My Tata India Vista TDI which has run around 69K Km has the "Check engine signal on" However whenever i touch speeds around 50+ the signal goes off. I took it to TASC, they were not able to solve it. I am now planning to go to the Concorde TASC.

What do you think is the problem? The engine is running smooth, no missing, no drop in mileage etc?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Did they hook it up to an OBD analyser, preferably one that read manufacturer specific codes? If not, find somebody who has. Truth is you could be swapping out parts to your hearts content to try and get to the bottom of this. There will be lots of advice, but I wonder what it would be based on. A problem like this, is best tackled by reading the OBD DTC (error codes). Only if there are no codes or other anomalies present would I start replacing anything.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 07:00   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Did they hook it up to an OBD analyser, preferably one that read manufacturer specific codes? If not, find somebody who has. Truth is you could be swapping out parts to your hearts content to try and get to the bottom of this. There will be lots of advice, but I wonder what it would be based on. A problem like this, is best tackled by reading the OBD DTC (error codes). Only if there are no codes or other anomalies present would I start replacing anything.

Jeroen
Thanks Jeroen for the suggestion. I had taken it to my TASS center in my native place and they connected the OBD and checked they were not able to find out what the problem was. So now i am taking it to the bigger center which is at Ernakulam - Concorde center.
Old 25th September 2013, 08:47   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Jeroen for the suggestion. I had taken it to my TASS center in my native place and they connected the OBD and checked they were not able to find out what the problem was. So now i am taking it to the bigger center which is at Ernakulam - Concorde center.
On our Ladakh trip last month, we faced a similar problem in one of the cars of our group (Manza). Check engine light came up suddenly in Srinagar when we checked into a hotel. The very next morning we drove to Fairdeal motors in Srinagar. The SA sat inside the car, revved it up and informed us that the glow plug is kaput. Diagnosis done in 2 minutes . Checked it and found that 2 plugs out of 4 were burnt. The plugs were changed and everything was fine.
We did not feel any drop in power though. And as mentioned by you the engine was pretty smooth, no difference. Just take it up to a knowledgeable SA who is willing to help. It does make a difference. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by narsi_6989 : 25th September 2013 at 08:52.
narsi_6989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 09:03   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
On our Ladakh trip last month, we faced a similar problem in one of the cars of our group (Manza). Check engine light came up suddenly in Srinagar when we checked into a hotel. The very next morning we drove to Fairdeal motors in Srinagar. The SA sat inside the car, revved it up and informed us that the glow plug is kaput. Diagnosis done in 2 minutes . Checked it and found that 2 plugs out of 4 were burnt. The plugs were changed and everything was fine.
We did not feel any drop in power though. And as mentioned by you the engine was pretty smooth, no difference. Just take it up to a knowledgeable SA who is willing to help. It does make a difference. Just my 2 cents.
How on eatth did the SA identify the problem is with the glow plugs just by revving the engine?!
Old 25th September 2013, 09:12   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
How on eatth did the SA identify the problem is with the glow plugs just by revving the engine?!
No idea sir ji! He just revved it up, told us what he felt, called a mechanic and asked him to check it. He had nailed it perfectly and changed the plugs. All these things done in 2 hours.
There were two instances with Fairdeal Motors on this trip for us and we were really impressed and have dedicated a paragraph for them in our t-log. This is the first instance and I am sure another para will also come up about the second one.
Here it is in Hirak's words.
Quote:
I would like to quote and Rajesh will agree with me that the kind of attitude and customer service shown by Fair Deal Motors, Srinagar, an authorized Tata Service Center, was exemplary. In fact, I had the engine guard straightening plus wheel alignment to be done, while Rajesh had that fan problem. Despite coming towards the end of the day, both the cars were out in 40mins flat without any hassle. Plus, the way the SA was able to identify the root cause of the fan issue in the Sumo was lightning fast. No product pushing, no delays, no golmaal. I was simply amazed. In fact we made a new friend name Yousuf who was probably the head service technician there, he was kind enough to help us locate our fellow group mates when they were lost.

Last edited by narsi_6989 : 25th September 2013 at 09:36.
Old 25th September 2013, 11:05   #40
BHPian

Re: Check Engine Light

While driving in the rains last week, the CEL of my T-Jet started to flash intermittently. At the same time the car started to "Shudder" a little bit! However, after about five very long and painful minutes the CEL went off and the Shuddering also stopped.

This has happened once before but for a very brief period - like a couple of seconds. That time as well the CEL had come on after driving in the rains.

Have booked for a service this Saturday will update this thread once the problem is sorted out.

Last edited by PGNarain : 25th September 2013 at 11:08.
Old 25th September 2013, 11:25   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Especially since glow plugs have nothing to do with how the engine runs or revs. It only help starting the engine. Once it runs they don't do anything, or am I mistaken?

Jeroen
Old 25th September 2013, 12:53   #42
BHPian

Friends,

Just came back from the TASS centre. They checked the OBD,they found the trouble with the heating relay.I had asked them to change the relay and check once again, but that would take time. However they were not sure it was that as that would give a starting trouble on cold start. ( the battery is realtively new , i mean 2 months old).They say it might be because of wiring which might have been cut because of some rats.

Since there was no problem with the engine they asked me to use it for a couple of days and leave it for 3 days so that they can check in detail. Any suggestions?
Old 25th September 2013, 16:26   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

Just came back from the TASS centre. They checked the OBD,they found the trouble with the heating relay.I had asked them to change the relay and check once again, but that would take time. However they were not sure it was that as that would give a starting trouble on cold start. ( the battery is realtively new , i mean 2 months old).They say it might be because of wiring which might have been cut because of some rats.

Since there was no problem with the engine they asked me to use it for a couple of days and leave it for 3 days so that they can check in detail. Any suggestions?
It's always good to ask for the exact DTC (error code), once you have a code, the workshopmanual will tell you what the code means. Sometimes it can be immediately correlated to a specific parts. e.g. a sensor or swithc or an adjustment. So I would still like to hear if:
- they actually read a code
- if so, did that code point towards this particular relay

I don't understand why swapping a relay would cost most time. Relays tend to be as accessible and easy to replace as fuses.

Intermittent CEL could be caused by a wiring problem. Rats or sometime, simple chaffing. They can be very difficult to trace, because you basicly need to trace the wiring loom and inspect visually. Experienced technicians might have a list of places they inspect first.

If there is nothing wrong with the engine, it's probably not a bad idea to leave it and see what happens.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 19:44   #44
Senior - BHPian

A faulty heating relay would cause CEL to glow continuously or atleast a few more times before you got it replaced. One possibility is the damaged chewed wire but then why would it be related to speed? However, since it was a one off glow, the wire could have got shorted due to a particular incident. To be safe I would go in for a comprehensive wire loom inspection. Other than that if there was no error code there is nothing much that you can do about it, but please do not go for replacing parts because the TASS keeps suggesting ways to remedy the problem, if it persists that is.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 21:05   #45
BHPian

Thanks wanderernomad and Jeroen, I think i would leave it for inspecting of the wiring. One thing noticed was that if i go into a pothole (rather jump into it) the glowing CEL goes off for some time and then comes back after sometime.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks